The worse thing about Cabarete is...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The worst thing about Cabarete is that I have to go there to get the best haircut on the island... 45 min drive

Yara, across from Frankie G and Papi's...... EXCELLENT

I want exact location. Google Earth coords. I want them now. Take appointments that they honor? I mean, I walk in with an appointment and less then an hour to get to me? PM me ... please.

thank you.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Easy: Chupa. Nothing like a stinky half naked ugly bald demented woman to march up to your table in a restaurant and stand there begging for 20 pesos.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Easy: Chupa. Nothing like a stinky half naked ugly bald demented woman to march up to your table in a restaurant and stand there begging for 20 pesos.

You've been to Frank12's place?

It's all in his book. You give a perfect match to his "girl". LOL.

Dang... can not find the link to the book. ???

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You've been to Frank12's place?

It's all in his book. You give a perfect match to his "girl". LOL.

Dang... can not find the link to the book. ???

Everybody who has read Franks TWO books recognises Chupa immediately! Luckily, I haven't experienced her throwing excrement - yet! That WOULD be the worsT thing about Cabarete! :classic:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is one of many chapters about Chupa, from my book, "Sex, Drugs, the Caribbean, and Rock n Roll." https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/338731

"So I started playing my cowbell with my chopsticks and wailing. I didn’t care if they didn’t appreciate the music. This was Curtis Mayfield! The man was a funkedelic genius and R&B falsetto-wailing God. The man single handedly put inner-city blues on the map. He practically invented the genre. When Pusherman came out in '72, it placed me and my family in funkedelic state of mind. It changed our lives. Except for my Caribbean Islander father, who ran out of the house and tried to hang himself on the nearest tree. Whenever a Curtis Mayfield song came on the radio, everyone in the house ran into the glass enclosed front porch and assumed our musical positions: My mother sat at on Rowland keyboards and was lead vocalist, my sister was on bass; my brother was on lead guitar and I was on drums and back-up vocals. I was small, but for five long minutes, I was a Caribbean Islander version of Curtis Mayfield. I played my heart out, wailing about being your momma, your daddy, your nigga in the alley. I was eight years old.

I was behind the bar playing the cowbell and singing into a 151 bottle. When the song finished I looked around the restaurant. No one was around except for Chica Loco and the 100 year old cocoanut climber. He was still asleep in the corner of the bar — passed out in a plastic lounge chair. Come to think of it, I hadn’t seen him move in days. Oh well. Chica Loco was heading towards the pizza shack in a hurry with her hands covering her ears, which may have been bleeding. She was on a mission. I walked around and turned on all the TV’s and headed up to the office to get the banks ready for the girls.
I was up in the office getting the banks ready when I looked out the window and saw Chica Loco outside our office window hanging upside down from our mango tree trying to reach some ripe mangos at the end of a branch. I watched her from the office window and was amazed at her ability to climb to the edges of the branches using only her toes, and then hang upside down with her skirt above her head while she reached for one more mango.

I was busy upstairs in the office counting change for the waitresses; but occasionally I would peak out the office window to see where she was at on the tree. One minute she was at the edge of the smallest branch, nearly breaking it in half; another minute she was at the top of the tree reaching for the highest mango while simultaneously holding onto a live wire in her right hand for balance. On another occasion, she hung upside down with her skirt above her head, eating a juicy mango with both hands while her feet gripped the branch.

Suddenly I heard a loud scream, I looked out the window just in time to see Chica Loco falling from the highest tree branch while holding onto a live wire. She was hitting her head on every branch as she raced to the bottom of the tree. It looked like a scene out of Bugs Bunny. I saw her head bouncing off each branch as she made her way to the ground. On the ground, I saw her roll over onto her back and stare straight up into the blue sky. She seemed dazed and confused, but she continued to smile. Her hair was perpendicular to her head, but that didn’t seem to matter. She had just been electrocuted, but this seemed to only relieve her headache. She rolled over and began eating the mango still firmly clutched in her left hand. She didn’t miss a beat.

I raced downstairs with the change and told the wait staff what I'd just witnessed. They laughed and waved their hands as if to say, “What else is new?” One of the waitresses said, “Listen, Chica Loco electrocutes herself all the time. It’s part of her daily shock treatment for as long as she’s been around Cabarete.” They treated it as a form of self-medication."

Frank

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I just returned from Cabarete after getting the BEST haircut that I've ever had here in the D.R. :)

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Love Cabarete but Metro or Caribe Tours don't go there from Santiago... that's why i stay alittle closer to Sosua.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I do love Cabarete, but the prices on the beach are pretty ridiculous for The DR. Having said that, if I had the money I would buy a beach front Condo there...

I don't understand why people complain about the prices at restaurants at the Beach?! It's beautiful and a lot more cheap than most restaurants where I come from that is NO WHERE NEAR THE BEACH!!

I pretty much love Cab and can't think of a negative thing to say about it!
Parking?! Never once had to pay for parking!!!

Cheap people or what?! It's a tourist place!!!!!! WTF do you expect??!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Harley the point is that prices seem to be out of line with other parts of The DR is all we're saying. I'm not complaining per se as If I feel I'm being ripped off I just go somewhere else or if I do decide to hang out there (like I did last week on my way to Cotui from Puerto Plata) then I will gladly pay up (personal choice). I understand that it is a tourist place and obviously it seems they can charge those prices and still get enough clients to keep in business.

You can't necessarily compare Cabarete to where you came from...wherever that is. I've paid 20 USD for a gin an tonic in South Beach, 8 USD for a small Presidente in NYC, etc...Cabarete is charming and all that, but it's definitely not at the level of any of those places.

Besides doesn't Cabarete bill itself as sort of a Hippyish, surf dude, chill out kind of place? You'd think this kind of crowd would not be looking to pay very high prices.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Harley the point is that prices seem to be out of line with other parts of The DR is all we're saying. I'm not complaining per se as If I feel I'm being ripped off I just go somewhere else or if I do decide to hang out there (like I did last week on my way to Cotui from Puerto Plata) then I will gladly pay up (personal choice). I understand that it is a tourist place and obviously it seems they can charge those prices and still get enough clients to keep in business.

You can't necessarily compare Cabarete to where you came from...wherever that is. I've paid 20 USD for a gin an tonic in South Beach, 8 USD for a small Presidente in NYC, etc...Cabarete is charming and all that, but it's definitely not at the level of any of those places.

Besides doesn't Cabarete bill itself as sort of a Hippyish, surf dude, chill out kind of place? You'd think this kind of crowd would not be looking to pay very high prices.

In Cabarete you can find a bar or restaurant to fit any budget.

May 29, 2006
The main downside for me is the traffic going right though town. If they could have the highway bypass the strip(through the swamp? :)) the town could develop more, there'd be fewer accidents and trucks could get to where they're going faster.

Maybe a causeway across the bay? :)