The worse thing about Cabarete is...

Harley the point is that prices seem to be out of line with other parts of The DR is all we're saying. I'm not complaining per se as If I feel I'm being ripped off I just go somewhere else or if I do decide to hang out there (like I did last week on my way to Cotui from Puerto Plata) then I will gladly pay up (personal choice). I understand that it is a tourist place and obviously it seems they can charge those prices and still get enough clients to keep in business.

You can't necessarily compare Cabarete to where you came from...wherever that is. I've paid 20 USD for a gin an tonic in South Beach, 8 USD for a small Presidente in NYC, etc...Cabarete is charming and all that, but it's definitely not at the level of any of those places.

Besides doesn't Cabarete bill itself as sort of a Hippyish, surf dude, chill out kind of place? You'd think this kind of crowd would not be looking to pay very high prices.

Ya you are right about that I shouldn't compare from where I come from to here. I just am so over the moon happy about all the prices I forget that most places are not as expensive as what I am used to so any price here is GREAT to me!!

I'm sure I will be complaining about it once I am used to "The normal" prices in the DR!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In Cabarete you can find a bar or restaurant to fit any budget.

Do tell...I'm a noob to the area. Where would I go if I wanted to listen to some perico ripiao or Bachata and pay Dominican prices (you know 100 pesos for a Presidente grande)?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Do tell...I'm a noob to the area. Where would I go if I wanted to listen to some perico ripiao or Bachata and pay Dominican prices (you know 100 pesos for a Presidente grande)?

3 min with moto from the center of Cabarete direction Sosua on the left side there's a nice dancespot, don't know the name. Maybe no Pre for 100, but good music.

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
The traffic through the main strip. Trying to cross the street hoping to survive. Over priced food. Walking by beach and dealing with rude people. And not locals! I try to avoid this place. Definitely not my favorite.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
3 min with moto from the center of Cabarete direction Sosua on the left side there's a nice dancespot, don't know the name. Maybe no Pre for 100, but good music.

You mean the Haitian bar that opened a few weeks ago? The Taliban - sorry - police closed that pretty quickly as they have a couple of other good bars on the main street this year.
As for 100 peso Presidente, not on the main street or beach, but ask a moto concho for Callejon de la Loma, where the locals live.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the bad thing about Cabarete is the fact that I'm not there at this moment. the WORST thing about Cabarete is that I've never been there at all.

BUT... I'll get there for sure some day. :)

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
What's overpriced about the mosquitos? I get them for free.
Der Fish

Amigo, reread my post and take notice of the! !!!!!!!! When you see! !!!!!! Pause because it's an end of a sentence. Then it will make sense to you...(.hopefully) .

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Awesome responses! We are thinking about potentially moving up there form SD. And Actually we'll be heading up there for the next 5 days so if anyone is up for some beach and beer, feel free to PM me.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
The worst thing in my eyes are the anoying motoconchos acting like you are desperate for a motoconcho 24/7 when you are walking. Acting like they are the first one you see everytime. Soo anoying. Like you didnt pas 600 motoconchos in the last minute. Compared to other places thats the main thing that anoys me in cabarete. There are a lot too in sosua but less anoying.

Oooh may i add beach vendors as said before. Really anoying when you are eating in a resteaurant !!! They shoudnt allow that, i dont want your ****ty necklaces when i am eating !

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The worst thing in my eyes are the anoying motoconchos acting like you are desperate for a motoconcho 24/7 when you are walking. Acting like they are the first one you see everytime. Soo anoying. Like you didnt pas 600 motoconchos in the last minute. Compared to other places thats the main thing that anoys me in cabarete. There are a lot too in sosua but less anoying.

Oooh may i add beach vendors as said before. Really anoying when you are eating in a resteaurant !!! They shoudnt allow that, i dont want your ****ty necklaces when i am eating !

absolutely correct about motoconchos. why is it they believe that everyone does not see them, so they have to whistle at you? i got off a motoconcho once to catch the bus to Rio San Juan, and this mutt asked me if i wanted a motoconcho. he saw me get off the thing, but since he has the IQ of an ape, he probably thought i just like changing conchos for fun.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Man they see me walking my dog and still i need a f****king mtoconcho.

:0 i allways think " yeah right like you the first one to ask me, i just walked by 50 of them who are still 2meters right behind me.

And allways they complain about the lack of people they can drive around. I allways say do something else cuz you have to much competition.

When you walk in la zona colonial in la capital its the taxis who anoy me like you allways in need for a taxi. they go like the seaguls in finding nemo . Taxi ? Taxi? Taxi? Taxi? ( 5 at the sime time repeatimg themselves) Even if you are far gone they will yell a little bit louder like you didnt hear them. TAXI!!!!!