This Is Why Nothing Works Right

Aug 6, 2006
===============================================================
I have been visiting the DR since 1978, and since then, the highways have improved, people appear to be better fed and less often barefooted. Guaguas have replaced pickup trucks in the hinterlands. I suppose there is a degree of corruption and favoritism, and this seems to be a part of every Latin American country I have visited. But things still get built, some of the money makes its way to the expected source.

It is not like some countries in Africa. There was one situation in Nigeria where money was loaned to build some project, and
thousands of bags of cement were left on a pier, along with some expensive machinery. The government had spent all the money that was intended to transport this stuff to the building site, so it just sat there, where the machinery rusted away, and the cement turned into bags of stone. And the pier was rendered useless because of all the stuff left there.

So even if not all the money goes to the intended purpose, probably most of it does. Agriculture is an area where productivity has increased many times what it used to be because of new techniques and new strains of plants.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So even if not all the money goes to the intended purpose, probably most of it does. Agriculture is an area where productivity has increased many times what it used to be because of new techniques and new strains of plants.

i don't see most of the 13 million going to train farmers, unless they are sending them to Harvard full time.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Our Biology teacher , who has a degree in agriculture and has worked extensively in the greenhouse industry thinks he will be part of the training program. Certainly the greenhouses here in Jarabacoa are highly productive at growing flowers, green peppers, cucumbers....etc.

Aug 6, 2006
i don't see most of the 13 million going to train farmers, unless they are sending them to Harvard full time.

It depends on how many farmers, and how many supplies are needed An expert would know and be able to make an accurate judgement on this.

If the product involves teaching people how to use greenhouses, I imagine that much of the money would be used for building greenhouses. Spain has been very successful in using the winter Sun to produce veggies in Andalucia. The Israelis have done very well with greenhouse projects as well.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It depends on how many farmers, and how many supplies are needed An expert would know and be able to make an accurate judgement on this.

If the product involves teaching people how to use greenhouses, I imagine that much of the money would be used for building greenhouses. Spain has been very successful in using the winter Sun to produce veggies in Andalucia. The Israelis have done very well with greenhouse projects as well.

go back and read the opening passage before commenting, XO. it clearly states that the greenhouses and equipment are covered in a separate 15 million dollar allocation. the 13 million is just for training.