Throwing in the towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Hug, it may well be"out of the frying pan and into the fire", which is why I'm throwing this out for feedback. In 22 years with the military, and another 18 with the FAA, I've traveled extensively, and one of the things that draws me to the island is the temperament of the people. I've witnessed the poorest who will gladly give you their last pot of rice without a second thought. And, I sheepishly admit, the sort of anything goes attitude, has a certain draw for me. And, while i may be a bit long in the tooth, a couple of hours of Bachata at the local hangout, with a few presidente's and a hottie or two has it's appeal. Nothing is yet set in stone.

I applaud your adventure. But those hotties are hot on the eye maybe, but pretty cold on the soul.
That anything goes is great, just as long as everything is going your way.
And that last grain of rice was probably pulled from her dogs turd. And if fresh and clean and genuine, for sure from a generation that is all but dies out.

RD120G's+ a month, you can live well. RD120G's+ a month elswhere and you can live f8cking well and without the Bull**** that you live with by entering the DR, and dealing with the people and the way things work.

Every year the DR gets more and more difficult, and it bamboozles me that people still feel the need to live in it without obligation to family or work. Not people who bought (you're f*cked, never gunna sell), but people still looking for that paradise in this.....................................

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I Cannot Imagine myself living full time in the DR with something to do (although I am sure some get along just fine that way). I love the place, but after a while it gets a bit boring for me. Are you just planning on just drinking beer and chasing chicas?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Come on now, DV. you can't paint the entire country with the same brush. Having said that, unless you have lived here, you can't begin to imagine the level of crime. The people tend to be arrogant, and posses a "me first" attitude. Visited Montechristi during carneval, and you are correct, the coast is stunning. I also took a look at Rio San Juan as recommended by another poster, and It could also be in the running. Just putting out feelers.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I Cannot Imagine myself living full time in the DR with something to do (although I am sure some get along just fine that way). I love the place, but after a while it gets a bit boring for me. Are you just planning on just drinking beer and chasing chicas?

Yep. That'll do for starters. No such thing as too much beer or chicas.However, I do plan to immerse myself in the culture, flora, and fauna of the island, which will necessitate forays into different sectors of the land. It could also mean that I would split my time between there and the US. Either way, can't see myself getting bored.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Safest popular place will probably be something like Jarabacoa. LAst murder I remember from there was about 3 years ago and a guy turned up with a lightbulb stuck where his head should be. But that does not offer the chicas you speak of, or what.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It could also mean that I would split my time between there and the US. Either way, can't see myself getting bored.

I knew you were intelligent. But consider investment in Europe. I just bought a place with 6 hcs' in Bulgaria for the coast of 4 years rent of a 3 B/D house in DR. 30 minutes from the beach and an hour from ski resort. Oh, and such beautiful women, and on another level of intelligence compared to these chocolate fancies (nice to look at but sickly to eat) that DR has to offer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The people tend to be arrogant, and posses a "me first" attitude.

i see you know DR pretty well ;)

i'm just warning you that visiting as a tourist or even staying for few months is not the same as being trapped here full time. you will see exactly the same vices you are running away from. places differ. people don't.

my best advice is:
get health insurance as soon as you arrive,
prepare contingency so that you can leave DR at short notice,
assume everyone here is crazy - it really helps.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I am so glad i read these posts, I come down with my wife for two months during the worst part of our winter. I stay surrounded by other snowbirds I enjoy my time on the beach and out and about in the little village of Cortecito and then I go home to Canada and travel around on my own time biking and visiting. I guess i have it pretty good.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I knew you were intelligent. But consider investment in Europe. I just bought a place with 6 hcs' in Bulgaria for the coast of 4 years rent of a 3 B/D house in DR. 30 minutes from the beach and an hour from ski resort. Oh, and such beautiful women, and on another level of intelligence compared to these chocolate fancies (nice to look at but sickly to eat) that DR has to offer.

Europe is expensive. Lived nine years in GE and UK. Loved GE, but them uppity bastards can kiss my ass. My three years in the UK were the best (apart from the ex). Would go back in a heartbeat. Great pubs, people, and history. But, they ain't got beaches to speak of. And, they eat s$1t like, toad in the hole...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
$ your ok...if u want to try monti chris thats a good idea...quiet area...and you can get cheap...
now you gota decide what you want... remember taxi fare to the airport is going to be 100$us ez...one way...by a friend....good fishing there...plenty of locals i would try to get a room in a lodging house or hotel. monthly rate...buy a 700$ scooter...and bring a couple of big johnsons with you...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
fishing rods.....never seen that t shirt series,,,,,,,???? bring a good surf rod and reel...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i was in a restaurant on the water having lunch...v.g. and a guy was fishing right out the back ...ez to sell them i guess... im not sure of power supply electric a/c etc...

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Move to Gulf Shores AL. ( very nice ) or go down to the keys. A good friend of mine lives in Corpus Christi he likes it there ( gas is cheap there which is a bonus )

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bilingual Country

Understand, the DR is a Spanish speaking country, the US, not.

Hmm, in California and Florida I was quite often addressed in Spanish (shops, restaurants).
I heard that in the armed forces there, most instructions are written in both languages.
Is this true?

donP

Status
Not open for further replies.