tics....dog tics??? people tics

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My dog has never been to the vet as often as he has since living here. Let me clarify: since he started walking the streets. In one year, he's been by Judy and/or Dr. Bob probably 6 times.

Despite the monthly Invectin and the daily teaspoon of coco oil, there have been ticks. He had worms. He had 6 different kinds of salmonella, all at once. His foot was cut on glass in the street, etc., etc. He's a mess, Mary.

He's an old dog (15) but he's in great shape. He's never been overweight, he has the beginnings of cataracts but can still see, and he's getting a little hard of hearing. Other than some occasional mild befuddlement (doggie dementia, which is actually sort of cute), he's probably going to outlive me. But in my experience, this place can be very hard on our friends of the canine persuasion.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Fleas, ticks, mosquitos, which could carry heart worm disease and other pests. Anyone with a dog in the DR, who cares about their pet, should be giving them a heart worm pill and flea and tick pill monthly along with a vet check up every 6 months. Too many things that can have a negative effect on dogs in the DR. Including those who will try to poison strays.

In the US you would need to get a prescription from a vet and then you can order on-line. I would go to a local vet in the DR and see what he/she recommends. Like I said I would make sure you get a heart worm pill and hopefully they have flea and tick pills. I don't find the flea collar or topical liquid to be very effective in the DR. It is worth the money to go to the vet to protect the health of your pet.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Tick update:

I noticed something suspicious on my dog on Sunday. A black spot. He's a white dog, so it was pretty glaring. And it was a tick of massive proportions. I pulled it out and squished it which was so gross I nearly fainted and then started giving the dog a good going-over and oy! was he infested. So I hauled his assets over to Judy (he needed a haircut anyway) and he was dipped and clipped and I had to clear a shelf for all of his medicines. I sprayed the house, all the floors, took my bed apart and sprayed all the mattress crevices, ditto couch, changed sheets, and put dog bed in bag to take to laundry tomorrow. I am verklempt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i declared the state of emergency at home too. all the animals were treated, including supposedly-homeless-but-sleeps-on-the-sofa street cat we take care of and feed. the house is sprayed and cleaned daily. death to fcuking ticks!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Did you accomplish all of that with a DOM REP "mop?"

:D:D

BTW, the best home-made remedy for ticks is lemons

Jajajaja. It was all pulling things apart, and spraying with a fairly unpleasant-smelling concoction that Judy gave me, vacuuming, and then yes, a Dominican mop was employed, but it was powered by a Dominican. And I left the house for that part of it.

I did read about the lemon thing. I also read you can put a teaspoon of cider vinegar in dog food daily to make their blood taste less yummy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Update on the eternal war on ticks.......

I still use Fenacur for internal parasites. I just put in the water bowls once a week. No mesure, no nothing, dominican style ;).

I now use Fipecto pour-on as tick prevention / control. Works well and is cheap. Bought a bottle 9 months ago for 1000 pesos, still a third left, used on 5 dogs.
Rubs on the neck of the dog once a month, or every 3 weeks.

Disclaimer : *it is poison !!!! It is also used mainly on cows, lol.
Also the minimum dosage on instructions is for 100 kg !!!
Nevertheless, it works and my dogs are healthy !!
But dont blame me if ure pet chiwawa dies ;)

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Many tics here that affect your pets...do not pick they off your pet with your bare hands as they can sometimes transmit to humans. USe a pair of tweesers, have a small bottle of alcohol (not the kind you drink, that would be a waste, drop the tick in the alcohol and it will die within 36 hours. Bes remedy for you dog is: keep from going under the brushy green areas, wash with a flea and tick shampoo, comb or brush regalalry, if they are scratching take a flashlight and you may see on burrowed into the skin, pull out gently with the tweezers as it will be full of blood...use a q-tip and put antibiotic ointment on the area. Something we found works with our black lab is a dap of pure coconut oil under his color and one dab on the area where the tail meets the body....he won't care and it works if done weekly.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I used to have a donkey and some horses in the La Vega campos and the guy who used to take care of them always used aceite quemao. Might be a little heavy on dogs though.