Time has come to get a house cat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a small child spends all its time on a floor lever and has a cunning ability to locate and reach everything the parents are hiding :) i was a kid once i regularly took all the pills my parents had at home, convinced they were sweets...
a spring trap and a child do not go together well. he'll snap his lil' fingers off in no time.

one more thing about cats. if you get a really small one there is a chance that kitty and nappy will bond. friend's daughter, aged 3, adores her grandma's cat, carries it around and attempts to dress it up. since the kitty has been subjected to those terrors from the early age he takes it exceptionally well and only scratched her once, when she tried to bite his tail :)

please remember that cat will be a part of your life for good after you take it in. so if you plan to leave DR soon then send wife and kid away to the resort for few days and hire a professional company to deal with your pest problem. contrary to the common believe cats do get attached to their owners too and they will not manage well if kicked to the street...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're right dv8, but Koreano has said that his wife is in the US - these suggestions about traps and poisons assume that the child is in the US with his mom.

We've had extensive work done on our basement apartment here in NJ after Hurricane Sandy flooded it. Much of the time the doors and windows down there are wide open [screens have been removed, the workers find it easier to throw debris, wood and sheetrock pieces out the windows and later bag them up outside]. It's cold here, so no surprise that the little varmints have snuck in from time to time. One Monday morning I went down there and found a street level double hung [screenless] window wide open - and no one had been down there for 3 days, so it was open at least that long. Upstairs where we live, and where our 2 yr old grandson comes every day, we have sticky traps placed where he can't reach them. Downstairs where the work is being done, we have poison and spring traps. I'm not sure how much help the poison has been, but the traps have worked.

May 29, 2006
Toxoplasmosis is weird. When mice get it, they become attracted to the smell of cat urine and it's been linked to cat hoarding and schizophrenia in humans. The real risk for humans is during pregnancy, but if you have an outdoor cat, you're not likely to catch it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Peter, can you give me a link to THAT information??????
Get two kittens, brother and sister if possible.
You can NEVER "trap" your way out of a "Mouse /Rat Problem" here.
"Trap All You Want, They'll Just MAKE MORE!
If your cats like you, they will "Gift" you the results of their night time "Hunting"!
Just the "ODOR" of the cats will keep the "Critters" away!
I use a litter box for kittens, until they begin exploring the outside world, after that I don't.
I am looking for two kittens right now,we just have one, and he needs a "family".
Many years ago, we had a tarantula living under our kitchen stove, "he" kept the mice away, but my dominican wife would have none of "him".
We switched to cats!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two cats is good for a cat person, for the first time kitty exposure i suggest just one bugger :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
two cats is good for a cat person, for the first time kitty exposure i suggest just one bugger :)
I know one is more then enough for our home. If nobody in our household have allergic action to it, we will be in for another long relationship.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly. it may just turn out the kitty will steal your heart and soul and make you into a regular cat freak like me :) but one is good for now. you will have a great time with it, i am sure :) cats are fun to watch and live with.
do the world a favour and take a street cat. they are the best :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"If It Ain't "BROKE", Don't "FIX" It!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I just saw our little kitty, she needs some "Family".
She licked my foot and "Meowed", and I didn't have to pay for it! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We are starting to have mouse problem in my house and I think best solution would be getting a cat. But the problem is I don't know which one to get. We have 2 1/2 years old boy at home and my wife and I am not exactly a cat person(we think). We are more of dog family as we grew up with several at younger years. We were going to get a dog down the line but we agreed on no pets in near future upon arriving in DR. But there isn't enough of that sticky trap or mouses are just too smart for 5 pairs of traps I bought and used. I wonder if cats are generally all same? And is all cat good with young children?

My parents despise cats but I really don't care as long as it's good with kid and can raise one easily with low maintenance.
I was wrong...

We are totally cat people...
I brought home a 3-4 month old yesterday and me and my wife had been up until 1AM trying to make it comfortable of it's new surrounding. My wife got basic stuff like food and litter box sand as soon as we finished talking about cat and she got the useless jingling toys as well. :) I told her to wait but she got 3 kind of food for cat. :( A bag of dried, cans and cat milk. :( Today when my son woke up, he got pleasant surprise of new member of house. He's been following new cat for hour, since he woke up until I left. :)

I've already had it taken to vet and got shots. but now what?
It doesn't have name yet buy I guess my wife will figure out something...
We have set her temporary home and litter box, but I want to get her proper home and litter box and perhaps automatic feeder?
where in Santiago should I go for pet stuff?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
kitties totally steal your heart, right?

you say your son is following the kitty, how does she react to him? interested too? friendly? you have to teach them both how to go about this relationship :) him not too hurt the cat by pulling and pinching and her to take hugs peacefully :)

if this is a girl cat you have to fix her asap, even if she does not go out. a cat in heat is a major problem. and it is better for them to be operated early, they recover way easier. i paid 4000 pesos for my little pichi's surgery about two months ago. expect the same. remember about rabies shot, that's once a year. she can still get rabies even if she does not go out: from contact with bats on the balcony, for example.

i think there is a pet store in the new bravo?

post some photos!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've already had it taken to vet and got shots. but now what?
We have set her temporary home and litter box, but I want to get her proper home and litter box and perhaps automatic feeder?
where in Santiago should I go for pet stuff?

I always buy stuff for my cat online. More to choose from and better prices. I've found that everything pet related in DR is expensive.
Please buy a water fountain such as Petflow. Water is very important for cats. They tend to develop kidney problems if they don't drink enough water (don't we all?). And cats are picky about cleanness, they will only drink stale water as a last resort. A water fountain costs about 30 bucks, but is well invested money.
Automatic feeders have not worked very well for me. My cat hates them and is scared by the noise they make, apparently she likes it quiet at her eating spot. I just use CatShow and she eats it little by little at intervals of about 1 or 2 hours. Dogs eat once or twice a day, but cats eat all day (and night) long.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
if this is a girl cat you have to fix her asap, even if she does not go out. a cat in heat is a major problem. and it is better for them to be operated early, they recover way easier.

Great tip!. Even if it is a male cat, you should have him neutered. As a man this makes me sad ;), but it's better for everyone. Male cats tend to mark their territory, they run away after female cats and disappear for weeks at times, and worst of all they fight other cats all the time over female cats and get hurt and peed upon. A neutered cat stays home where he belongs.

BTW, there is a government sponsored free rabies vaccination campaign for dogs and cats going on at the moment, so it's good news for pet owners whose pets need it.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks...

While my wife was in NJ I tried Bravo few times. I was avoiding it since traffic really suck but I guess I have no choice but to introduce my wife to another place to shop. :( I'll look in to spray/neutering in short while.

My son is intrigued by new member of the house meanwhile I heard the cat was busy hiding after awhile. :( The cat is very shy or maybe still stressed out by yesterday transport. :( I guess we need more time for it to be more comfortable. I am kind of concerned about my son though as he is kind of rough once he get comfortable. I foresee few scratches and my wife call me about it very soon. :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few scratches are normal and nothing to worry about. your son will soon learn respect and kitty will learn love :)

what colour is the kitteh?

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
:(
Call it REANO

image0101010.gif