Tipping

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
When I was living in DR before I moved to the US the fees for a regular haircut was $ 80. pesos, I used to pay $ 100. tip included.
Here in the US the fee is $ 13. Dollars... I usually tip $ 3. and never I feel so happy with the service compared to my original barber Santiago
the guy who for many years used in DR.

US $ 16. Dollars is a lot more than RD $ 500. that's why I did so & at the same time I made that guy happy that day.

JJ

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Grocery boys, never more than $RD50. Less if I notice my eggs, bread, chips packed under something heavy like the 4 bottles of booze.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
tips

I no longer tip the grocery baggers because I bring my own bags and do my own bagging. Too many bad experiences. Plus, I do all my shopping on foot, and somehow I can manage to fit in three bags while they use 7.

I tip less in restaurants than I do in the US, usually about 10%. But I give the kid in the colmado who carries my water up three flights of stairs 50 pesos, more than what the water costs me. I don't tip concho drivers. They're entrepreneurial capitalisits.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The other advice that appeared here a long time ago -

When frequenting a restaurant regularly, tip irregularly - not every time.
As in most things Dominican, the tip can become expected and service often suffers.

I used to drive them crazy in Canada......
I resent tipping according to the price of my meal -
the delivery of a hamburger or a lobster shouldn't affect the tip.

In the 70's, my tips were $5 if two diners - $10 if four.
The waitresses couldn't figure it out.
Finally the manager asked me - I ate there (as a single) about 5 times a week - a 'regular' so to to speak

Actually, I was the most regular ---------hahaha

CNSIERRA

Apr 11, 2016
Dominicans do tip when they go out because it is part of our culture to tip. Colmado guys I always tip them and also my barber normally 30 to 50 pesos.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Dominicans do tip when they go out because it is part of our culture to tip. Colmado guys I always tip them and also my barber normally 30 to 50 pesos.

thank you... for setting the record straight on that one.

not tipping a barber
whoever heard of such a thing..

Aug 6, 2006
The best barbers in Miami are Latinos, Typically, a haircut on NW7th Ave runs $7.00.
For a bad haircut, you can go some franchise haircuttery in some the mall and they think that $15 plus tip is what you should pay.
Dominican barbers pay better attention that American barbers. I once got a salad bowl haircut while driving across Nebraska that forced me to wear a hat for three weeks.
A barber in Iowa City was so engrossed in discussing his deer hunting with another customer that when I got home my mother gave me a stocking cap and told me to wear it for a month.
Fortunately, it was winter. Neither of those guys got a tip.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I also always tip the barber and my wife also tips the hairdresser.

well, thanks for telling us how you and your wife do it. let me tell you about the DR.

most barbers in the DR are sole proprietors. they are no different than guys who repair appliances, or mechanics. it is their business. i am not aware of people who tip the owners of their business. maybe you guys leave a tip for the Ramos family when you shop at La Sirena.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
well, thanks for telling us how you and your wife do it. let me tell you about the DR.

most barbers in the DR are sole proprietors. they are no different than guys who repair appliances, or mechanics. it is their business. i am not aware of people who tip the owners of their business. maybe you guys leave a tip for the Ramos family when you shop at La Sirena.
Even though that's true and the main reason why I don't tip my barber, I could imagine someone tipping a barber who charges 100 or 150 pesos for a haircut since after paying for the place , electricity, etc maybe brings in 20 to 30,000 a month and those extra 100 pesos come in handy. Even being his own boss.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

It could be that I?m missing something, but I fail to see the difference if the guy owns the place or if he?s just an "employee" when it comes to tipping him. It?s for good work done, nothing more, nothing less.

And I also fail to see how is the business of the Ramos family comparable to a barbershop of a few guys...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The other advice that appeared here a long time ago -

When frequenting a restaurant regularly, tip irregularly - not every time.

In the 70's, my tips were $5 if two diners - $10 if four.
The waitresses couldn't figure it out.

Last year I received an Email from Capital one telling me they found suspicious that I paid a meal of $ 7.00 Dollars and my tip was $ 5.00.

I personally like to tip, I know how people that relay on tips feels when their service is well appreciated.

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It could be that I?m missing something, but I fail to see the difference if the guy owns the place or if he?s just an "employee" when it comes to tipping him. It?s for good work done, nothing more, nothing less.

And I also fail to see how is the business of the Ramos family comparable to a barbershop of a few guys...

fine. if i walk into a repair shop with my broken fan, and it works when i go to pick it up, i pay the guy who fixed it what he asks. i don?t tip him on top of that, simply because he got it to work. that is his job.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Even though that's true and the main reason why I don't tip my barber, I could imagine someone tipping a barber who charges 100 or 150 pesos for a haircut since after paying for the place , electricity, etc maybe brings in 20 to 30,000 a month and those extra 100 pesos come in handy. Even being his own boss.

In our Barrio, haircuts are usually done on Sunday afternoons in front of the Colmado while sitting in a chair, listening to music, and sharing a cold Presidente. There are usually three or four Barberos, as well as la mujeres doing nails. Haircuts are done using a Gellette razor blade for the Dominican men and charge 50-100 pesos. If a Barbero does a special design for someone, he gets a propina otherwise no tip. there is one woman that does nails and ladies hair too. She's who cuts my gringo hair which is longer and finer than the Dominicano hair. She charges me 150 pesos plus we share a Presidente or two as the men make pretty good fun of me having this Chica cut my hair. Great way to spend a Sunday.

Regarding Tipping in the DR, we pull into Ocean World and I request a line handler on the radio. Usually two show up. Gaby throws them the lines, they tie us off, come aboard and help with the shore power cable. I always hand them each $5.00 us and they immediately ask for our wash bucket and soap. Gaby get things for them while we are preparing to leave and they wash down the boat. They do a good job too, so I always hand them each another $5.00. They are always pretty happy with it. There is a reason I tip them well.. As I am thanking them for washing the boat and their help, Gaby is busy giving them our local number and telling them that if there is anything wrong with the boat to call her, and if nothing is broke or missing when we come back, she will have them help her prepare to depart and there will be more propina for them. Works every time and it's money well spent. Same with checking in and checking out. A little propina speeds things up a lot, and makes things easier. It's pocket change really, but is certainly appreciated by them and most certainly their families. I know Mariners that are muy taca?o and always complain about tipping officials and they seem to always have problems. We don't usually.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I know as much as you about the DR andmy wife know far more than either of us. Many barbers are not sole proprietors and the equivalent of just over a dollar for a tip is normal. Tipping for a haircut is comnon in many countries. Do your elbows hurt when you reach for your wallet.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know as much as you about the DR andmy wife know far more than either of us. Many barbers are not sole proprietors and the equivalent of just over a dollar for a tip is normal. Tipping for a haircut is comnon in many countries. Do your elbows hurt when you reach for your wallet.

well, there you have it. there is absolutely no worthwhile reason to discuss this matter any further. bob just told us what he does, and that should be enough to resolve the matter.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
well, there you have it. there is absolutely no worthwhile reason to discuss this matter any further. bob just told us what he does, and that should be enough to resolve the matter.

What works for you works for you and what works for me works for me. I get good service most of the time whether I tip or not. Us guys from Western Canada are not like Quebecers where canoes are the only thing that tip.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was raised in the service industry and maybe that's why I tip more generously than those who were not ....at the end of the day ...a few extra pesos is not going to make or break your week .....but it will certainly help those less fortunate
and if it gets you better and quicker service all the better
in my opinion 20pesos is basically nothing ...the guy who supposedly is minding my car when I park in the colonial zone gets a minimum of 50 pesos ...sometimes 100
but to each there own ...some are over generous and some are extra tight