Too much beans...?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I will be on the hunt ;)

Does anyone know the name of fried bolitas with fish inside ? Had them in Nagua, omg a killer as well. They kinda look like that:

06-accras-de-morue.jpg

bolitas de bacalao

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sofia&Anders, see what happens when you mention food in a title? Especially around lunchtime? :)

The natives get restless - and hungry.

Sofia&Anders

Jun 28, 2014
DR1 is a circlejerk for retired expats.

Imagine if you will, a trip to Grandpa's house. As you pull up to his house, Grandpa and his buddies are sitting on the front porch. You say "Hi, Grandpa, how's it going", He says "When's the last time you checked the oil in your car, and I see your right front tire is a little low. You need to check these things more often, or you while up broke down on the side of the road dumbass" then one of Grandpa's freind's say "You remember that '67 Impala I had with the 283? That car got 18 MPG. I was looking at new cars yesterday, and the sticker on a brand new one said 20MPG. Are you telling me in 50 years they haven't improved gas mileage" The other buddy says "Oh, they can, but they wont. The government is in bed with the oil companies, just the other day I read in the paper..."

DR1 is Grandpa's virtual front porch. He loves you, but thinks your a dumbass for not checking your oil. It's not nice, but he is right, you really should check your oil more often.

You'll be fine, your kids will have fun and learn a lot
You will get hookwinked by a Dominican. They are poor and opportunistic, you are rich and naive
Really, take your budget and double it!

G'luck, have fun.

Will check oil -and give grandpa a polite smile!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Some people here are very full and very crazy. I mean extremely crazy!

But, I like it.

I live in Norway part time.

Frank :)

Gotta love Google translate !!!!!!! :bunny:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Some people here are very full and very crazy. I mean extremely crazy!

But, I like it.

I live in Norway part time.

Frank :)

Gotta love Google translate !!!!!!! :bunny:

It didn't translate the word "Full" correctly. Do you know what it means?

Frank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
...can give you an upset stomach! Gosh, some people are negative! Introduced ourselves, got some good tips and a LOT of sour grapes about the expensiveness of the country, what a lousy idea it is to travel around in the DR with kids and how unfriendly and dishonest the Dominican people generally are. Fortunately we have greater confidence in this location and our capability to get by outside of western Europe. We're planning on having a blast in the DR, in spite of what some party poopers are saying. Be blessed!

Sofia

Sorry for this treatment. All I can say is that there are a lot of unhappy people on this forum who have never bothered to learn the language nor the culture so they are always on the outside looking in.

Nonetheless, if one is smart and adapts to local food, which I have done(my wife and three daughters are Dominican) you would find the cost of living to roughly a third to possibly half of what it is in the States.

Also, as you well know there are good and bad people anywhere you go and in this regard the DR is no different. Certainly there are bad people here but they are no more difficult to avoid than in other places.

The worst thing about this country is the crime unfortunately. However, I'm not afraid because I use common sense(most of the time).

Best of luck and God bless!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Sofia

Sorry for this treatment. All I can say is that there are a lot of unhappy people on this forum who have never bothered to learn the language nor the culture so they are always on the outside looking in.

Nonetheless, if one is smart and adapts to local food, which I have done(my wife and three daughters are Dominican) you would find the cost of living to roughly a third to possibly half of what it is in the States.

Also, as you well know there are good and bad people anywhere you go and in this regard the DR is no different. Certainly there are bad people here but they are no more difficult to avoid than in other places.

The worst thing about this country is the crime unfortunately. However, I'm not afraid because I use common sense(most of the time).

Best of luck and God bless!!

Chip,

They're not American, they're Swedish.

Frank