tourist card cost to be incorporated into airline ticket price

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Both fees are built into the Air Canada ticket price. They hand the $10. Tourist card out to everyone on the plane. If you are a Dominican or a resident you can decline the card.
As other posters have said Westjet does this as well. The Canadian carriers seem to be ahead of the pack on this one.

If you are a legal resident of the DR or DR citizen, then on Air Canada you have to pay that $10 tourist card fee anyway and cannot have it deducted from the ticket price?

If so, I would say that is "behind" something rather than ahead of it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
All I'm saying is that the fees are built in and you can decline the tourist card if you are a resident. I guess standing in line for up to an extra hour is something some people don't mind doing.
I on the other hand take the card and give it to someone who can better benefit from the 10.00 savings as I am a resident and don't need the card.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is usually the charter flights that require passengers to pay the departure tax at a kiosk in the departure area before boarding the flight out of the country.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
All I'm saying is that the fees are built in and you can decline the tourist card if you are a resident. I guess standing in line for up to an extra hour is something some people don't mind doing.
I on the other hand take the card and give it to someone who can better benefit from the 10.00 savings as I am a resident and don't need the card.

You are not getting the point, that as Dominican is ilegal to be charged with the 10.00 US dollars for turist card, if is already included in the price of your ticket. Did you get the point?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
ALLELUYAH !

Awesome news !!!!!! When is it going to take effect ???

I absolutely hate having to stand on that extra line after getting off the plane. By now, I am prepared, race off the plane trying to beat the crowd, always have my $10 dollars bills carefully placed in each passport, but, for some reasons, I am always end up behind 5 persons that are confused, don't have change, etc :dead:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Last paragraph of the article states that anyone charged the 10USD that does not have to pay it (I assume legal residents/citizens) can request a reimbursement at the DGII (Direccion General de Impuestos Internos). Like I'm going to waste my gas going to Sto. Dgo. to get my 10 bucks back... As to the 20USD departure tax, last time I travelled on Sunwing they had someone collecting the money right after check-in. Didn't matter that I was a legal resident, had to pay. The other Canadian airlines include the 10USD and the 20USD in the cost of the ticket.

Reembolso

Indica que los visitantes que por disposiciones previstas en convenios sobre la base de reciprocidad no estén sujetos al pago de la tarjeta de turismo, tendrán derecho al reembolso del valor pagado por este concepto, el cual deberá requerirse ante las oficinas de la Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You are not getting the point, that as Dominican is ilegal to be charged with the 10.00 US dollars for turist card, if is already included in the price of your ticket. Did you get the point?

Yes I get that point. As soon as somebody wants to point out this travesty of the sacred Dominican legal system to the proper authorities I'm sure we will see a terminology change to something original like Airport Improvement Fee 18b, Runway Sweeping Surcharge or some other ridiculous fee/ tax.
It's 10.00 USD to get into this country and 20.00 to get out. Get over it. By the way do you know where I can find a copy of this illegal law.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The article doesn't say how they will verify who's a Dominican citizen or a regularized foreign resident in the DR and who's a tourist.

I can only think of two possible ways and both ways requires the round trip to start somewhere abroad.

It goes without saying that anyone that buys round trip airline tickets starting in the DR is either a Dominican citizen that lives in the DR or a foreigner with regularized permanent residential status in the DR. Logically, this should imply that the person is not a tourist.

1. They will use the permanent address that you type when buying the airplane ticket. Anyone with a DR permanent address will not be charged the $10.

2. Airlines will be required to ask for cédula number and/or social security number at time of purchase and the computer will verify the residential status of the person. Those that are not Dominican citizens and/or no permanent address in the DR will be charged, everyone else will not.

But, this is speculation under the assumption that logic will be used.

That last line is hilarious!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2. Airlines will be required to ask for cédula number and/or social security number at time of purchase and the computer will verify the residential status of the person. Those that are not Dominican citizens and/or no permanent address in the DR will be charged, everyone else will not.

here is the decree in question.
https://www.scribd.com/document/366313398/Decreto-430-17

note articulo 4, parrafo:
Las empresas de transporte internacional de pasajeros deberan realizar las adecuaciones necesarias en sus sistemas informaticos para el cumplimiento de esta obligacion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's still not worth going to get $10 back.

I agree with you.

My understanding is that Canadian airlines have been doing this for a long time.....didn’t WWebster say they are handed out on the plane?  How are Dominicans and those with permanent residency handled by them?  

My guess is that it’s a clever money-making scheme by the Dominican government.  Most will not try to get their $10 back, and they save the employee costs at the airport if they don’t have to sell them there.  

I’m also wondering about people who bought their ticket awhile ago, to travel there after Jan 1st, do they beat the system?  :p

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My understanding is that Canadian airlines have been doing this for a long time.....didn’t WWebster say they are handed out on the plane?  How are Dominicans and those with permanent residency handled by them?  

Yep, handed out on the planes to tourists, Dominicans and foreign legal residents alike.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Actually, the suggestion that a kiosk capable of returning $10 US to those Dominican citizens or legal residents not requiring a tourist card is not such a farcical notion. The staffed kioks already exist with sufficient $10 US denominations for those that enter and require the tourist card as is the current process. The person steps up to the kiosk, presents their appropriate documents, and receives their proper refund. It would be as simple as changing the label on or above the front of the kiosk, and even that is not obligatory. They would use the very same employees staffing the current operation. The primary article of debate or conflict would be on the proper exchange rate for that $10 US the Dominican citizen or legal resident receives upon arrival. It is essentially the same process, but reversed.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It was suggested earlier on within this thread that a separate line be established for Citizens/Residents. This is already in existence at SDQ and STI.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I am coming on December 23and I usually buy my tourist card on line. Will this be in effect by then?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hector, ask your airline if they are including the tourist card fee in their prices for that flight?