Tourist held hostage at Punta Cana hospital

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Well, congrats on being a Survivor .
but maybe they never held you hostage with the IV Drip because they knew you had a Boat they could go after if you did not pay the Bill .
The COMMON People in the DR however are not so fortunate, and in fact DO get held Hostage with the IV Drip, until the bill is paid in full,
I am surprised you did not know this .
What boat do you speak of? The one I gave to a homeless person back in 2007? Best keep up to date!

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Ok , now she reports she is in the ICU, and now a go gofund page. SCAM !!, however it is entertaining.

qphotonyc

Aug 28, 2020
USA
If you live or spend a lot of time here you should get Dominican Health insurance. When you walk into a private clinic here with DR Insurance they cannot and will not rob you. The Insurance company will not stand for it. No insurance you risk the "Gringo Price".......................
Does anyone have a recommendation for good medical coverage? I stay mostly in the Capital for a few months at a time. Resident, late 60s. Thx.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone have a recommendation for good medical coverage? I stay mostly in the Capital for a few months at a time. Resident, late 60s. Thx.
Late 60's locks you out of many companies. There is an insurance agent on DR1 that might be able to help, but you really should start a new thread on that question.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
59 donations for a grand total of two thousand, three hundred and ten Canadian dollars ($2310.00)
If it's a scam it's not a very profitable one.
I'm more inclined to believe it is a case of a very sick woman, yearning for some joy in her life, making a very poor decision that has led to serious consequences for many more people than just herself.
I worked in the travel industry in PUJ for many years.
People making bad decisions that created problems and grief for many was not an unusual occurrence.
Been there.
Done that.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
59 donations for a grand total of two thousand, three hundred and ten Canadian dollars ($2310.00)
If it's a scam it's not a very profitable one.
I'm more inclined to believe it is a case of a very sick woman, yearning for some joy in her life, making a very poor decision that has led to serious consequences for many more people than just herself.
I worked in the travel industry in PUJ for many years.
People making bad decisions that created problems and grief for many was not an unusual occurrence.
Been there.
Done that.
Mental health issues, of course.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
It's just sad all around.

Birthday trip turned into a nightmare. Was that all-inclusive really worth it?
Canada has a nice weather this time of the year, surely there are great vacation spots to spend your birthday at without breaking the bank and being left to fend for yourself on foreign lands, begging strangers to bail you out.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It's just sad all around.

Birthday trip turned into a nightmare. Was that all-inclusive really worth it?
Canada has a nice weather this time of the year, surely there are great vacation spots to spend your birthday at without breaking the bank and being left to fend for yourself on foreign lands, begging strangers to bail you out.
What is sad is that she disparaged a medical facility based on her inability to pay her bill, not the level of care she received. The shake down artist has zero credibility.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Late 60's locks you out of many companies. There is an insurance agent on DR1 that might be able to help, but you really should start a new thread on that question.
You can get good health insurance from us before you turn 70 years old. There is no medical. A good plan is about us 70 a month each.

BobNH

Apr 9, 2015
A French Canadian tourist is currently being detained at a Punta Cana hospital over unpaid fees totalling $100 000.
They just won't let her go.
And the bill increases by $4000 everyday. So they won't let her go, BUT they still charge her for every extra night they keep her in there.

Apparently her travel insurance company (Québec Blue Cross) denier her coverage over a pre-existing medical condition.

Article in French, please use Google translate:
Wonder if the food and drink is as good as the Hard Rock. I drink all I want at the Hard Rock and often too much... "and often" OK all the time when I'm there:ROFLMAO:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I sent a message on the Gofundme page, asking for more information and an update on the situation. That was about four days ago, and I did not get a reply. Maybe it went into their spam folder? Maybe they do not speak English? Any DR1'ers who speak French want to reach out to them?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
In light of that, I would just get rid of this thread so that someone does not resurrect the discussion every tourist season.