Traveling using DR as your home base.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I also travel regularly overseas for the sake of my sanity ..DR is about the worst base you could imagine , The taxes for entry and egress are extremely high, there is often a forced sitution of having to transit in an american airport, there are no direct flights to Jamaica, the flightto our closest south american neighbour leaves very late at night and the cost of parking a car at SDQ is obscene. So I try to use JetBlue direct to NY and BA direct to Gatwick London and COPA for the Americas but there are still the drawbacks mentioned above .. Not to mention the current slowness of the interent here to make reservations

Yes, I notice COPA would be the airline for roaming Central and South America, for a connecting fly

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
"Island Fever" here shouldn't be a problem as the Hispaniola is so big (22 largest in the world). You do not get the sense that you are surrounded by water and travel is constrained. Personally, to see and experience different cultures and sights. To another island or somewhere on the mainland is not a consideration. The ability to get where I am going without transiting the US is.

I can imagine there is sufficient diversion on the island, to hold off the Island fever. Since I don't sit in one spot too long, frequent flying through the mainland would be a cost issue. i hoped being closer to South, Central America and other Caribbean islands would reduce the cost of air fair.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
The reason DR is a good base for extensive travel is that this is the most connected island in the Caribbean (via regular flights). Not sure Punta Cana has more flights than Panama, but would think so because of the tourist trade.

I would think that expats can avoid many of the local too-high-taxes on airfares here by just starting their trip abroad.

By purchasing one way fares one can avoid paying many of the taxes on airplane tickets. If you have a multi-stop destination, do not only purchase one ticket, break it up. Did so and saved about US$300 on a fare that was Santo Domingo-San Juan-New York-Washington, D.C.-San Juan-Santo Domingo.

That said, inter-Caribbean travel is difficult and very expensive. But I think this is the same regardless of where one is. Once went to a conference in Cayman Islands and it was US$2,000 in airfare on AA! A direct flight should not have taken more than an hour and a half, at most. There are reasonably priced fares to Caribbean islands served by their local carriers and where there are large Dominican populations -- Antigua, St. Maarten, Aruba, Curacao.

For $2,000 I should be able to sail to the Caymans and back in a charter boat, for a 5 day rental. It would be more fun. What about those puddle jumpers, turbo prop planes? Don't they provide a quick trip between islands.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Punta Cana Airport is the airport with most destinations from Dominican Republic and is located where less Dominican lives, that airport is use it mostly by turist, and the Dominicans that use it are no more than 2% or 1%, and we use it because we dont have more options, in my case as I dont have american visa and I can not make conections in USA so I dont have any other option that to go to Punta and take a direct flight to Canada, Now with the new highway from Santo Domingo takes 3 hrs to get to Punta Cana Airport.

Its turns more complicated because you must be 3 hrs before your flight at the airport, plus 3 hours driving, if take a taxi will make you much more expensive your ticket, and if you take a express bus from Santo Domingo is the only way you can save some money on the taxi.

Santo Domingo is the closer airport but only has conections to USA, Central America and South America via Panama with Copa wich usually has very expensive price.

About caribbean Island Insel and Liat you can go to Aruba, Curacao, Saint Marteen, where a lot Dominicans live there and from there you can connect to other island from Santo Domingo

Also you can connect from Santo Domingo to Venezuela, and Bogot?.

To Brasil with Gol from Santo Domingo until March 2015, this airline is moving its operations to Punta Cana.

To Per? with Taca is also moving its operation on January 2015 to Punta Cana.

So Santo Domingo is loosing 2 importants Direct destinations in South America, now to go South America from Santo Domingo will be via Copa with conection in Panama, or with Avianca with Conections en Bogot?.

To Europe till now from Santo Domingo direct flights to Spain, France, Germany and Brussels.

If some body is planning to have Dominican as a Home Base for traveling better move very close to Punta Cana, from there will be very easy to go arround the world with direct flights, 2 airlines conect with Russia, also others to Europe, USA and South America, some other destinations are seasonals.

I appreciated it, quite informative. I hoped to avoid staying in or near Punta Cana. It is not along the central corridor of the island, it is too much of a tourist area. I haven't even been in Cana yet.

That does complicates things having routes moved from SDQ. By the time I am ready for relocating to the DR. It all might change again. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't really want to go island jumping it is all the same pretty much. I would rather go back to the states. I've had enough of the beach to last me a lifetime. I miss developed country stuff! San Juan I would do the ferry across and maybe Central America.
I miss Vegas, Seattle that kinda stuff. Will travel to Miami I am sure. Actual civilization!! That's what I want on most of my vacays!!

i actually consider PR a downgrage from the DR. Don't waste your time on that unless you want to see old San Juan or the rain forest for some reason.

I agree that the occasional trip back to the US is a prime objective. I prefer California, but the flights are difficult from here. Not into island hopping around here to more of the same.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Island Fever as you put it is a reality in the Caribbean. I travel a lot throughout the islands here and specifically, Puerto Plata is my home base. I'm currently on the Island of St. Thomas, or as I call it (St. Toilet).. I'm not rich by any means and travel for work. When we need to "get off the rock" as we call needing to get away from the DR, my wife and I usually travel to Puerto Rico because there is such a wide variety of things to do there. Rain forest, nice restaurants, cities that are somewhat "normal", and there's even a wal mart!. Old San Juan is nice, renting a car is a normal process unlike many other islands including the DR. We find it nice spot to escape to. All of the islands here have something unique to offer and regarding your question about being integrated into DR culture, it does help. Spanish helps a lot. Puerto Rico? They may be American, but they speak Spanish there. The other islands? English is prevalent on most, but Spanish, French, and Dutch are spoken on many of the leeward islands. One last thing. You will find a good amount of Dominicans on all of the Caribbean islands. Suggestion.. Check them all out. Some are better then others, but they are all excellent! Airlines for the Caribbean include; Insel air, Turks & Caicos air, Cape Air, Seaborne air and of course Liat. (late in all times). Liat is absolutely the worst. Don't take my word for it, do a search and see what people say about liat. Insel gets you to St. Maartin and from there, you're good to go anywhere. Cape air is partnered with Jet Blue and is ok for small prop planes. Seaborne is probably the best and cheapest from DR to PR. Turks & Caicos air has service from POP to SJU for $245.00. Cheap for pop.. Hope this all helps.

I will still maintain my home property but buy or rent in the DR. If I would travel across the ocean, It would be from the states or Brazil.

I am working on learning Espanol ahora. French will be next. Which is good Haiti is next door. I been there a few times.

So St. Marartin is a hub. Does it have more flight options than Nassau? On some island trips it is easier to take the ferry, if there is one.

I been to most of the Virgin Islands (both sides) including St. Thomas, however didn't go far from the water front. I didn't visit Redhook.

Everyone on this thread has offered helpful advice.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
nonsense. DR is a crappy base for travel because there aren't that many scheduled flights, especially to europe, not to mention south america or, god forbid, asia/africa. PUJ is a busy airport but many flights are charters and it's not easy to book such flight, sometimes even impossible.
one way is a no no for many people. i can fly one way to europe, miesposo cannot, he is not a resident. not to mention that one way flight to/from europe i ever looked at were way more expensive than return flights.

COPA would be the connecting flight to South America I notice. If I could reliably find charter flights for mapping a trip, that would help.
Some of those cheap flights are 8 to 24 hour layovers and you hop from 3 or more stops or the flight is far longer.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Turks and Caicos is very close.. Are there Direct Flights from PUJ to Provincials Island?
We once stayed at a "Club Dread" ( Club-med) there about 10 years ago..

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
i actually consider PR a downgrage from the DR. Don't waste your time on that unless you want to see old San Juan or the rain forest for some reason.

I agree that the occasional trip back to the US is a prime objective. I prefer California, but the flights are difficult from here. Not into island hopping around here to more of the same.

You are the first person to express that perspective comparing DR and PR. Besides personal preference, why is PR a down grade from DR if it has more services. I haven't toured PR yet. My knowledge of the culture in PR is even less than the DR culture.

PR was on my list during the last DR trip. I couldn't talk myself into a 12 hour ferry ride there and back just to spend a day or two. I like cheap trips where I pay to get there and stay are the big expense. The rest of the time I switch to a budget. I avoid flying unless I get the average or below average price.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Besides personal preference, why is PR a down grade from DR if it has more services. I haven't toured PR yet. My knowledge of the culture in PR is even less than the DR culture.

Well no p4p so openly as DR, for one. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
COPA would be the connecting flight to South America I notice. If I could reliably find charter flights for mapping a trip, that would help.
Some of those cheap flights are 8 to 24 hour layovers and you hop from 3 or more stops or the flight is far longer.

word. panama makes a better hub for connection flights.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are the first person to express that perspective comparing DR and PR. Besides personal preference, why is PR a down grade from DR if it has more services. I haven't toured PR yet. My knowledge of the culture in PR is even less than the DR culture.

PR was on my list during the last DR trip. I couldn't talk myself into a 12 hour ferry ride there and back just to spend a day or two. I like cheap trips where I pay to get there and stay are the big expense. The rest of the time I switch to a budget. I avoid flying unless I get the average or below average price.

I stayed for about a week in PR in the San Juan area and driving most of the north coast (which is not very far) . My comments would be that the north coast of PR is not as scenic as the north coast of the DR. The food was nothing special (more of the same bland styles we have here) and the architecture outside of San Juan was very basic box construction. I really can't think of a reason to go back to PR after seeing it once. While it may be more "American" it really doesn't feel that way unless you like fast food franchises. Much better to go to Florida if you want more services and civilization.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I agree about PR. I would prefer Miami over PR. I travel back to the US frequently (West Coast). Flights from here to the US West Coast are a pain. I have tried every connection, MIA, ATL, NY and Charlotte as of late. Right now I like going through Charlotte but I am not a US Air fan. I have been to Aruba, St. Marteen, Curacao, etc..but when the travel bug hits I usually go to the US. However as of late I have taken an interest in going to So. America. Chile, Argentina, etc...would interest me. I also have always wanted to do the European Christmas Market tours. I have promised myself that next year I will take one of these trips that are on my "travel bucket list".

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
keepcoming: I am on the same page. In the spring I am taking a few weeks in DR and the fall Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

dv8: I been thinking of Panama connections with COPA and a gateway to other places. Stop over in Panama a few days then continue on. I will not be in a hurry to go or return.

It works out to spend $700 round trip to and from DR. $1200 for a apartment for three weeks. Then I try to live of $20 a day, which does not work every day. The main grocery run, traveling to the next larger town, spend a little toward the local economy, a little on women (who did not ask for money all week), etc. The budget is wishful thinking half the time. If i spend over $2,500 it is becoming a waste of money, it is cutting into my next trip.

DR as a hub to the Western Hemisphere seems to be in the budget.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I have used the DR as my home base longer than DR1 has existed, it works very well. Daily flights from SDQ to MAD and CDG, three or four a day to MIA and JFK, same to PTY. From any of those you can connect anywhere. I don't expect direct flights to everywhere, I did a 14 hour flight form Hong Kong to Newark a few years ago, which I don't want to do again, rather break up the flight and get down on the ground for a few hours. The only issue I have is connecting in the US, the time it takes to go through immigration and custom.