Traveling using DR as your home base.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It was described once, PR is a city masquerading as an island.

You have this backwards. PR is an island masquerading as a country or even a state when it suits them. Puerto Rico and especially the outlying islands of Culebra and Vieques are a pretty nice get away from my perspective.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
tht: That is good hear, it can work. I like the idea so far of DR. I can run back to the states when a big hurricane comes. I do need to check up on the legal and fiscal pot holes, or craters as some might describe.

jstarebel: Hopefully those reviews do not include falling out the sky too frequently :)

What are the most common jobs for expats, who are or near retired in DR? I might get an expensive habit of finding a woman, employed and with graduate level education, who can accompany me on my journeys around the world ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You have this backwards. PR is an island masquerading as a country or even a state when it suits them. Puerto Rico and especially the outlying islands of Culebra and Vieques are a pretty nice get away from my perspective.

As a I mentioned, I see no reason to go to PR again. Culebra and Viegues I have not visited. For those using the DR as a home base, the flights are expensive and generally inconvenient unless you happen to visit locations the DR is currently serving well from your local airport. This has certainly changed over time for me in a negative fashion (POP airport).