Travelling to Europe for Dominican citizens changes in 2024

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
1. I'm really sorry to hear about this.
2. Is the Spanish embassy the only option for you guys? I'm having hard time understanding this as while things may have of course changed recently, as you are in fact married, whenever we have applied for a visa (Schengen Visa via German Embassy), we have provided a very small amount of documentation and we have never once got a negative result and we have always had the results back incredibly fast. Add to that, we have never paid anything for the visa due to being married, so 150 EUR? So this makes me wonder is the problem somewhere in your documentation (I'm not saying you don't qualify, but rather something that the embassy thinks they see or something?) or something with the embassy? I'm saying this as being legally married should be a strong case, so why are they turning you guys down?
"Married" in the sense of common law. I was lead to believe that documentation of my support in this relationship for more than 4 years would be enough. Our attitude is,and was,she had the interview: Simply, we don't need you (this vacation to Spain) Spain needs us. We will not rely on the decisions of a clerk judging our intentions. ("She will not return to DR"). We have dropped any desire to go to Spain.

BTW in my search while forming our strategy several people advised to apply at the French embassy for the visa but then just go to Spain instead. I rejected that idea because we try to live stress free. Especially ,when spending a lot of money to go on vacation. I wasn't comfortable with that in spite of it looking good on paper.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I'm curious, why is this? What does the lawyer do that a "normal person" cannot do? Is it that people submit incomplete applications or? I'm asking as Spain is obviously a Schengen country, so how come it's much easier to get a visa to another state in the same territory?
“so how come it's much easier to get a visa to another state in the same territory?”

State??..
we still have countries.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
We won (along with about 80 other people) a european cruise as a reward for working with a big insurance company here. Most got the Schengen visa, but needed a visa for spain as thats where the flight landed.
The Spanish visa was impossible to get.
The NEVER answer tel calls.The interview times were like a couple of hours a few times a week.We had to leave a 5 am to be able to make appts before they closed. One minute late. too bad.
they rejected everyone with a fom letter, and we dont think they ever even looked at the applications.a few people did get the visas but they all used a lawyer. Apparently this is the only way you get it.

It was a horrible degrading experience for us.Profundly disapointing to miss out an a European cruise as a result of the Spanish embassy's subhuman treatment of us.
, except some people w
If you have a Schengen visa you can land in every airport in de EU. Your information
is not correct. A Schengen visum is a Schengen visum.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If you have a Schengen visa you can land in every airport in de EU. Your information
This topic has been discussed previously as well, as as per for example German embassy, this is not exactly the case. I don't know if there are consequences from landing a different country, but this I would perhaps check with an embassy:

If you have any other information/links, by all means, please post.

I was also first confused with Schengen/Spanish visa, but then I realized the poster was referring to a Schengen visa issued by some other country than Spain...

Once you are within Schengen, you can go as you please.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This topic has been discussed previously as well, as as per for example German embassy, this is not exactly the case. I don't know if there are consequences from landing a different country, but this I would perhaps check with an embassy:

If you have any other information/links, by all means, please post.

I was also first confused with Schengen/Spanish visa, but then I realized the poster was referring to a Schengen visa issued by some other country than Spain...

Once you are within Schengen, you can go as you please.
Yes, but it is GETTING THE SCHENGEN visa for a Dominican citizen in the first place.That is the issue josh.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Yes, but it is GETTING THE SCHENGEN visa for a Dominican citizen in the first place.That is the issue josh.
I realize that, but that was not the point on the post I quoted.

And to be precise, the problem is not getting a "Schengen" Visa, but rather getting that from the Spanish embassy. We've been to the German embassy a number of times during the years, and have never had any problems. That visa is also called a "Schengen Visa", just from a different embassy, so to avoid confusion, wanted to point that out.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I realize that, but that was not the point on the post I quoted.

And to be precise, the problem is not getting a "Schengen" Visa, but rather getting that from the Spanish embassy. We've been to the German embassy a number of times during the years, and have never had any problems. That visa is also called a "Schengen Visa", just from a different embassy, so to avoid confusion, wanted to point that out.
Travel by rail from Germany to Spain? With the visa you are free to move to all other Schengen countries.

Reactions: SKY

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008
Travel by rail from Germany to Spain? With the visa you are free to move to all other Schengen countries.
That is true but in Schengen I think they also share information. So if an applicant was rejected in one country of Schengen and the reason that information is a available for the other country if the application tries another. I think you have to be careful just thinking you can shop around.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The method of travel within Schengen is completely irrelevant as far as I know. Granted, I think airlines do carry passenger lists while trains do not (I have no idea?) but not sure if those lists are also available for border agents? I know with car, nobody knows if you cross the border unless you're "unlucky" and the police decides to stop you for control...

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
The method of travel within Schengen is completely irrelevant as far as I know. Granted, I think airlines do carry passenger lists while trains do not (I have no idea?) but not sure if those lists are also available for border agents? I know with car, nobody knows if you cross the border unless you're "unlucky" and the police decides to stop you for control...
It's not easy to enter the United States of Europe :confused:

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008
It's not easy to enter the United States of Europe :confused:
I think if someone overstays and gets to the point of getting deported and the person is in another country than the entry country they are deported back to the entry country where they got the Schengen visa. I think that is how it works.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
First time you get the schengen Visa your airline ticket final destination must be the country you asked the Visa, if is multiple entrance visa after first time you used you are allowed to travel to land in every airport in de EU

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Yes. Last week we received ( for my dominican wife) a rejection letter for a visa to Spain that we wanted to vacay sept/Oct. We provided every proof of assets one would need to buy a million dollar home. Seriously. Still rejected. "Applicant shows she may not return".
Foolishness and wasted my money in fees including $150 to expedite. Package included: Title to late model car, on title for a house in the capital, my 6month finace statements and more.
No problem. Less stress. Go to plan B
What does your wife do?

Reactions: tht

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
First time you get the schengen Visa your airline ticket final destination must be the country you asked the Visa, if is multiple entrance visa after first time you used you are allowed to travel to land in every airport in de EU
Riva. Where did you get this information?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What does your wife do?
I think I got a good "education" on Schengen visas from start to finish with a rejection. As part of that education you will note the variety of responses here on DR1 and it's clear to me that is a "crap shoot" for a Dominican citizen no matter what assets they can show and quantify. On that note, I'm putting the subject of visas on the back burner until next spring.
BTW: As part of the package we submitted was a fully paid up late model car in her name. On title with me on house in the capital. Lease for another dwelling for her informal business. And a six month financial document of my earnings with the balance of the year (2024) projected.
(The only question the agent asked when he glanced over the paper work was "He an american?) Yep.

So I'm done with this as we feel this is God's will, not some Bozo, bigoted clerk with stock answers that one size fits all.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
THIS is exactly why I didn't go with one travel agent's advice of: File for France and go to Spain. Thats not a stress free vacation.

Reactions: Riva_31

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008
THIS is exactly why I didn't go with one travel agent's advice of: File for France and go to Spain. Thats not a stress free vacation.
France is close though. It would be like flying from Charlotte to Miami. But I am not sure it's true that the visa process is so much different from country to country in Schengen. So I agree with your approach. It was Spain you were planning to go to so that is where you applied. A more honest approach also.

I think they look at the ties to the DR. My situation about 15 years ago being European and wanting to travel to the US with my girlfriend was similar. Her visa application was rejected at first. It was possible later on as we got married and I was a permanent resident of the DR. And we had a business and apartment together. All showing ties to the DR. I didn't just do it to help her with a visa to the US of course but that was a side bonus.

Reactions: johne

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think I got a good "education" on Schengen visas from start to finish with a rejection. As part of that education you will note the variety of responses here on DR1 and it's clear to me that is a "crap shoot" for a Dominican citizen no matter what assets they can show and quantify. On that note, I'm putting the subject of visas on the back burner until next spring.
BTW: As part of the package we submitted was a fully paid up late model car in her name. On title with me on house in the capital. Lease for another dwelling for her informal business. And a six month financial document of my earnings with the balance of the year (2024) projected.
(The only question the agent asked when he glanced over the paper work was "He an american?) Yep.

So I'm done with this as we feel this is God's will, not some Bozo, bigoted clerk with stock answers that one size fits all.
Does your wife have an American Visa? One of our teachers was denied a European Visa even though she comes from a well to do family. She applied for an American Visa and was accepted. She traveled to the US a couple of times and reapplied for the European Visa and this time she was accepted.

Reactions: josh2203 and aarhus

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Where can I find this please?

Reactions: RustyT