Treatment as foreigner

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
This is a bit of a rant but it's a clean rant; more or less a cultural observation of extranjeros and how we're treated better or for worse

I have visited here for more than 10 years and have lived here for nearly a few now - have a Dominican family. I am young and have adapted to the language, customs, lack of punctuality and straight up lowered my expectations with services; I have seen the good and tried to adopt some of that friendliness into my own personality.

The first year was fun, puppy love, everything was new, the lack of rules was cool etc. The second year was more or less falling out of love with it because of the lack of any good services to be honest, taught myself to be really self-sufficient imported tools/products from my country; has helped so much and saved me headaches, but one thing that remains to frustrate me and that's community.

Dominicans treat each other horribly anyone who has spent time here knows how they treat a gringo vs their own ( stranger ) is very different, there is an immediate lack of trust, competition among other things - this is totally void if it is family as they are really warm with one another or close friends.

It didn't really bug me until last year when my son had his birthday party and I spent about 40,000 pesos on everything and had a bunch of kids and family come, out of the 25 kids that were there one brought him a present but wanted seconds to take home along with the cake. This really pissed me off, because I have attended other birthday parties here and the kids normally get presents, it's not the cost of the toy it's the thought for the kid.

There has been lots of things in between like people trying to help me i.e unloading my bike from my truck and flat out asking for money to the point I tell people " si queres ayudame bueno, pero es por gratis " 7/10 they stop helping.

There is fruit trees in the back of my pretty good neighborhood which are mine, there are other trees as well on other people's properties - they come over to me to ask if they can go up my house to pick the avocados they want and I know if I let them they would clean out the whole tree with a smile but they don't do this to the other Dominicans.

I get this subtle communist vibe here when people tell me or talk about others how they should openly share resources; like that one of the biggest economic handicaps here is Hermano works so he will give me some too and I won't work.

The maid comes to my house and tells me she makes 2,500 a day cleaning but she's doing it for 1,000 cause she's friends with X then goes on a low key 8 hour begging spree that she owes 24,000 peso and needs help bla bla I don't care. I know from being submerged in Dominican culture for 11 years that if she did this to a Dominican she would have received a horrible-normal response

these are weekly things and sometimes semi-daily. I am venting a bit here but my reasons are valid, lots of extranjeros who come here are retired and like the weather or love travel/ nature and want to try a business or something other come here for family or attempt to find greener pastures. I think as a demographic compared to some other countries we add a lot of value, education, businesses, and foreign income into the local economy, not every extranjero here is good of course but as a whole, we're not bad and the government tends to agree.

Do Dominicans honestly just think foreigners have enough that their plates are full so they should share obligated cause thats what a nice gringo does? I am always a bit stuck in between how to respond to these things cause they are generally nice people surface level but without sounding like a total A hole I feel it's very hard to have a real friendship with one unless they're on a similar economic level and have their own things - friends which I do have but, obviously, when you go out to the gym, supermarket you are not dealing with your circle you're dealing with the general population.

What I have done instead of just complaining about it is going back to my country for a month at a time and this helps and quite honestly have been more of a A-hole here which helps as well because people don't bug me but it comes with a side effect of becoming a bit dumb to others which I wasn't before.

Was a rant but a clean rant :unsure:

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I understand where you are coming from. After almost 20 years of living here, I have said NO...more than I have said YES...much much more. In the early years, it was a few YES's and a few MAYBE's. That turned into a "don't expect anything in return, nor if it was a "LOAN"...to get paid back.

I have a handful of people here who I would help out. They have earned my trust.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I understand where you are coming from. After almost 20 years of living here, I have said NO...more than I have said YES...much much more. In the early years, it was a few YES's and a few MAYBE's. That turned into a "don't expect anything in return, nor if it was a "LOAN"...to get paid back.

I have a handful of people here who I would help out. They have earned my trust.
I get you as I am kind of retracing your journey more than likely I do have a group I can trust, I just do not understand that i'll give you my hand but you took my arm mentality; there is so much potential here; so beautiful but that mentality really arrests and communal, business/ progressional efforts. thanks for your input though.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's best to never ever help them because they will be back for more.
My Haitian cleaner does not ask for money but I turn a blind eye if she takes a couple yogurts and a banana or some slices of bread and cheese

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Long rant..lol. But I do believe in setting the tone from the beginning. When I first started coming to the DR (in the 80's) I would bring something for everyone. Then I started to realize that people were expecting something every time I came. When I moved to the DR permanently, I had to change how I developed friendships with people. My MIL was very good at showing me how to be polite but yet keep people at arm's length. Gave to those who needed but never asked and was leery of anyone who asked. Kids birthday parties were always difficult. We started serving just cake, once that was gone it was gone. The kids didn't care, and it was about the kids not the adults. We have a small social circle outside of family which makes it easier.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Long rant..lol. But I do believe in setting the tone from the beginning. When I first started coming to the DR (in the 80's) I would bring something for everyone. Then I started to realize that people were expecting something every time I came. When I moved to the DR permanently, I had to change how I developed friendships with people. My MIL was very good at showing me how to be polite but yet keep people at arm's length. Gave to those who needed but never asked and was leery of anyone who asked. Kids birthday parties were always difficult. We started serving just cake, once that was gone it was gone. The kids didn't care, and it was about the kids not the adults. We have a small social circle outside of family which makes it easier.
I did that as well but stopped around the same time I came here as I was hardly getting a thank you. You've been here a while wow, since the 80's I can imagine how much has changed

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
do you find the older generation treated you differently than the newer generation? also has their perceptions of you changed over the years?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
My kids birthday party last year I felt guilty because there were so many gifts. Their aunt went all out and invited the whole barrio- probably 25-30 kids. I told her to tell everyone no presents.
Nearly every kid brought a gift anyway and many families may not have been able to afford it.
I have had the odd acquaintance ask me for money, but I’ve never said yes and they’ve never asked twice.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
My kids birthday party last year I felt guilty because there were so many gifts. Their aunt went all out and invited the whole barrio- probably 25-30 kids. I told her to tell everyone no presents.
Nearly every kid brought a gift anyway and many families may not have been able to afford it.
I have had the odd acquaintance ask me for money, but I’ve never said yes and they’ve never asked twice.
thats great to hear your kids had lots of presents in the end though :)

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
do you find the older generation treated you differently than the newer generation? also has their perceptions of you changed over the years?
When I started coming to the DR, it was still a "novelty" to see a gringa in certain areas. So, the older generation was more curious/inquisitive but very respectful. The newer generation keeps to themselves IMO. Technology obviously plays a big part in that. AE and JD have been in the DR longer than I have, they have some great insight. Things were very different back when I started coming, at times I miss the "old days".

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Maybe not dumb to others but maybe being less aware. As CB posted, we have turned a blind eye to housekeepers that have taken some extras. Not enough to make a difference but enough that you keep it in the back of your mind. I do have a laundry story, but I will save that. Sometimes it is not being dumb as it is more of "tuning it out". ***OP meant numb***

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is a bit of a rant but it's a clean rant; more or less a cultural observation of extranjeros and how we're treated better or for worse

I have visited here for more than 10 years and have lived here for nearly a few now - have a Dominican family. I am young and have adapted to the language, customs, lack of punctuality and straight up lowered my expectations with services; I have seen the good and tried to adopt some of that friendliness into my own personality.

The first year was fun, puppy love, everything was new, the lack of rules was cool etc. The second year was more or less falling out of love with it because of the lack of any good services to be honest, taught myself to be really self-sufficient imported tools/products from my country; has helped so much and saved me headaches, but one thing that remains to frustrate me and that's community.

Dominicans treat each other horribly anyone who has spent time here knows how they treat a gringo vs their own ( stranger ) is very different, there is an immediate lack of trust, competition among other things - this is totally void if it is family as they are really warm with one another or close friends.

It didn't really bug me until last year when my son had his birthday party and I spent about 40,000 pesos on everything and had a bunch of kids and family come, out of the 25 kids that were there one brought him a present but wanted seconds to take home along with the cake. This really pissed me off, because I have attended other birthday parties here and the kids normally get presents, it's not the cost of the toy it's the thought for the kid.

There has been lots of things in between like people trying to help me i.e unloading my bike from my truck and flat out asking for money to the point I tell people " si queres ayudame bueno, pero es por gratis " 7/10 they stop helping.

There is fruit trees in the back of my pretty good neighborhood which are mine, there are other trees as well on other people's properties - they come over to me to ask if they can go up my house to pick the avocados they want and I know if I let them they would clean out the whole tree with a smile but they don't do this to the other Dominicans.

I get this subtle communist vibe here when people tell me or talk about others how they should openly share resources; like that one of the biggest economic handicaps here is Hermano works so he will give me some too and I won't work.

The maid comes to my house and tells me she makes 2,500 a day cleaning but she's doing it for 1,000 cause she's friends with X then goes on a low key 8 hour begging spree that she owes 24,000 peso and needs help bla bla I don't care. I know from being submerged in Dominican culture for 11 years that if she did this to a Dominican she would have received a horrible-normal response

these are weekly things and sometimes semi-daily. I am venting a bit here but my reasons are valid, lots of extranjeros who come here are retired and like the weather or love travel/ nature and want to try a business or something other come here for family or attempt to find greener pastures. I think as a demographic compared to some other countries we add a lot of value, education, businesses, and foreign income into the local economy, not every extranjero here is good of course but as a whole, we're not bad and the government tends to agree.

Do Dominicans honestly just think foreigners have enough that their plates are full so they should share obligated cause thats what a nice gringo does? I am always a bit stuck in between how to respond to these things cause they are generally nice people surface level but without sounding like a total A hole I feel it's very hard to have a real friendship with one unless they're on a similar economic level and have their own things - friends which I do have but, obviously, when you go out to the gym, supermarket you are not dealing with your circle you're dealing with the general population.

What I have done instead of just complaining about it is going back to my country for a month at a time and this helps and quite honestly have been more of a A-hole here which helps as well because people don't bug me but it comes with a side effect of becoming a bit dumb to others which I wasn't before.

Was a rant but a clean rant :unsure:
Dominicans routinely try to pull the same BS on their fellow Dominicans. I get a kick out of those people " helping " me park for a fee. I have no problem giving beggars 50 pesos, or the parking assistant the same. My MIL has been in intensive care in La Vega for 16 days and there are lots of people waiting to have their five-minute visit with their family member. Lots of people will bring people coffee or a snack. My wife has made several friends, and they comfort each other. There was an old German woman in intensive Care and all those Dominicans were very nice and warm to her two children and granddaughter. I generally follow my wife's advice, her country, her culture. Yes, lots of Dominicans want/expect a little money for helping you. Poor country, you have to hustle to get by. Many Dominicans don't expect anything but thanks.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
It is a unique country. many Dominicans treat each other very badly as well. Steal from their family, try non stop to have sex with their friends wifes or with married people. break up family units with no thought of the effects on children. Send their children to have sex with older men so they can extort money for themselves. Drive without insurance then try and get it after a accident. Make each other wait for hours in lineups .have multiple children with many women and never pay. The list is endless.

Reactions: monfongo