Tropical Storm Fay ... was ... Tropical Weather Disturbance

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Barahona has been sunny all day, just started raining with heavy thunder and lightning about an hour ago

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
At 8 tonight the center of Tropical Storm Fay was inland over Hispaniola near 18.6 North and 70.2 West. This is about 35 miles West-NorthWest of Santo Domingo.

Fay is motoring along at 14 miles per hour or 22 kilometers per hour. This is good going for a tropical storm. For the forecast, the direction of the storm will take it across the North Coast of the DR tonight and tomorrow morning.

Maximum sustained winds are on the increase and are now near 45 miles per hour or 75 kilometers per hour with higher gusts. These higher winds however are mainly over water to the North and the East of the center.

No significant strengthening is expected over Hispaniola. Those land effects have mastered many a storm and most likely we will see a weakening as a travels across the North Coast.

Tropical storm force winds extend outwards up to 85 miles or 140 kilometers mainly to the North and East of the center.

We're looking at a central pressure of 1008 milibars or 29.77 inches.

Tides are expected to be 1 to 2 feet above normal in areas of onshore flow.

4 to 8 Inches of rain can be expected with isolated amounts of up to 12 inches.

The normal cautions are in effect .. flash floods in appropriate land areas, floods in low lying areas, mudslides.

I was in a flash flood once in the DR. It was no fun and was life threatening. So, be careful!

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Santo Domingo

My drive home from work today has been the scariest one ever. I left my job at 5:15 from the San Isidro Free Zone and it took me 2 hours to get over to my house in Evaristo Morales. I took San Isidro road to Las Americas, but Las Americas was flooded from Sabana Larga to Ave. Venezuela, it took me one hour just to wade my way through that block. I drive an SUV and the water was up to my door on the shallowest part, the deeper end towards the middle of the road was easily over 2 feet deep. There must've been at least 50 cars stalled in front, behind and besides me. There were over 100 young guys pushing cars for money (and drinking rum of course). I decided to turn off my truck and let them push me out, I gave them 200 pesos. It took so long because traffic was hardly moving and when it moved the stalled cars would be in the way. I saw little cars with water up to the window being pushed out of the road.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Apalling in Juan Dolio. Hundreds Of Haitain huts down. Have 150 people in my house. trees down all over garden. Power just back on but no idea for how long. Lightning and thunder. Hope you are all safe.

Matilda

UP_time

Aug 16, 2003
Hi.
Whats up with the infrared (IR) images ?
For instance, from around noon today, Cotui was in the hottest IR color (red)...but strangely enough, no rain or wind!
I know there is an explanation, like maybe the colors of the IR photos suggest capability and not real ground conditions.
Thanks in advance to whom knows the answer!

Current conditions in Cotui.
At exactly 8pm, I got a surprise by the sound of the window shutters slamming shut....thought it was gunfire !
There is much more wind and rain now compared to all of today

Thanks

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Las Terrenas has a light rain and the wind has vanished. 22h

thinking of you all up further west, take care...

lt

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Apalling in Juan Dolio. Hundreds Of Haitain huts down. Have 150 people in my house. trees down all over garden. Power just back on but no idea for how long. Lightning and thunder. Hope you are all safe. Matilda

Not surprised you have it far worse than those of us in the north - if you look at Punta Cana Doppler for the 11-12pm loop you'll see where it is
Onamet - Oficina Nacional de Meteorolog?a - Rep?blica Dominicana

11pm advisory here
Tropical Storm FAY Public Advisory
and some discussion here
Tropical Weather... Done Better!?

PS. Have a question for Chris about systems jumping stages since I thought you had told me it was possible and subsequently posted to quaqualita that it wasn't. I can't ask on the other thread because it is closed & I won't be as insensitive as to ask here & now until the storm is over. Maybe I'll catch the lull between Fay & the next one & ask then.;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
PS. Have a question for Chris about systems jumping stages since I thought you had told me it was possible and subsequently posted to quaqualita that it wasn't. I can't ask on the other thread because it is closed & I won't be as insensitive as to ask here & now until the storm is over. Maybe I'll catch the lull between Fay & the next one & ask then.;)

Lambada, it surprises me that someone with your ability at ferreting out information could even ask this question or have a problem thinking through this kind of information. Anyway, there has been an answer for you since yesterday on the closed thread, but usually we keep only one active thread open on any one storm. So, if you have more to discuss or more questions, let me know and I'll re-open that one for discussions for anyone that would like to.

Let's get back to what turned out to be the South Coast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Plenty of rain all morning ( all night) in the Santiago area...Now 10:10 a.m. and still raining...but less...

Hopefully, the rains fell in the "right" areas...ie. the watersheds that needed to get it.
this will take some stress off of the water systems and allow for more electricity generation.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Our internet went down late yesterday on the east coast. The storm was pretty wild here with trees and signs down, lashing rain and some localised flooding. Lots of flights from PUJ were cancelled so the hotel was full of stranded passengers last night, sleeping all over the lobby. Things are back to normal here today, and the sun is shining.

We had the 'snagging' (punchlist) meeting at the new apartment in the midst of the storm which was a boon because we could see all the drainage and leakage problems in action and ask for them to get sorted out before we actually move in.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Fay was essentially a non-event in Cabarete. Surf a little higher than usual. Not much rain at all. Wind was not much stronger than a normal afternoon here.

From talking to friends in Santiago and the capital, they reported a good amount of wind and rain. With the storm tracking more to the south than predicted... I guess the mountains kept most of the storm's effects away from us on the central north coast.

Hope everyone's weathered the storm with minimal problems.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Santo Domingo & Barahona

Here in Santo Domingo we are getting a lot of rain, it stops and then it starts again, I will not venture out unless it's an emergency.

I just spoke with my boyfriend who is in Bahoruco, on the western coast of Barahona and it has been raining hard since last night but the sea has been pretty calm, nothing alarming.

All in all I think we have weathered this storm pretty well.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Electricity now back on for us but not for all those who had their cable nicked over night!!! Enterprising thieves who knew they would not get zapped while the power was off for so long.

The electric was off from around 7pm, on for about an hour later and then off all night and today. Damage appears to be limited to signs down in the street, cables down in the Boulevard - but cable TV rather than electric - and lots of huts without their zinc roofs and some without walls either.

I lost two trees - but I didn't like one of them anyway!! It was a rough nights sleep as the house was full of people plus the cats and the dogs together (the dogs always sleep outside). And of course it was hot with no fans!!!

Still no real damage for us and everyone in huts is busy repairing them and looking for bigger rocks to put on the roofs!!!

Now it is sun and cloud with light wind. Time to get ready for the next one!!!

Matilda

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Matilda - What have you done with the 150 people who were in your house.
Is it BBQ time now, or a nice sancocho?

Rio

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda - What have you done with the 150 people who were in your house.
Is it BBQ time now, or a nice sancocho?

Rio

HA ha. They started leaving at 6am to go and fix their houses. They started arriving at about 7pm - we have a guest house which we filled up first and then people who came throughout the night as their houses got blown away stayed in our house. But all gone early this morning and they all cleaned up well after themselves too!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We have just had another very heavy shower and there is thunder rumbling around but nothing much to worry about up North. Don't use up all the lamb in that Sancocho Matilda!!