Tropical Storm Ivan

Victormeldrew

Sep 5, 2004
tired_boy said:
As of yet i haven't seen anywhere that shows a track leading to PR, they all predict a Hispaniola hit but as each track is updated it moves slightly to the west. First it was going straight for SDQ now it has moved towards Haiti.

Sorry to barge in lads but Im trying to follow this from the UK and its hairy!

First time poster who's coming over to the DR first two weeks in October.

I'll try to stay in touch over the next few days...good wishes to you all and keep safe.

Victor.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tired_boy said:
How often does the NHC update its track? The last one looks a little better for the DR

Tire_boy, I was surprised that the NHC updated Ivan at 1 pm today. Their regular schedule is an update at 5 am, 11 am, 5 pm and 11 pm until the storm is in position for watches and warnings to be issued, then it is every 3 hours instead of every 6 (9 am, 2 pm, 9 pm, 2 pm). Normally, however, these additional reports update the written advisories but not the published track.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Victormeldrew said:
Sorry to barge in lads but Im trying to follow this from the UK and its hairy!

First time poster who's coming over to the DR first two weeks in October.

I'll try to stay in touch over the next few days...good wishes to you all and keep safe.

Victor.

Hi there Victor Meldrew :)) :)), i am following this from the UK too. However, i fly out from Manchester on Tuesday at 10:30 in the morning. While i watch the England game in Hemmingways (Playa Dorada) on Wednesday afternoon - Ivan could be knocking on the door of the south side of the DR. Its early days but Ivan has gathered some tremendous strength and deserves some respect!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Ken said:
I was surprised that the NHC updated Ivan at 1 pm today. Their regular schedule is an update at 5 am, 11 am, 5 pm and 11 pm until the storm is in position for watches and warnings to be issued, then it is every 3 hours instead of every 6 (9 am, 2 pm, 9 pm, 2 pm). Normally, however, these additional reports update the written advisories but not the published track.

I believe they updated at 1p.m due to the unprecedented increase in strength in such a short time.

Victormeldrew

Sep 5, 2004
tired_boy said:
Hi there Victor Meldrew :)) :)), i am following this from the UK too. However, i fly out from Manchester on Tuesday at 10:30 in the morning. While i watch the England game in Hemmingways (Playa Dorada) on Wednesday afternoon - Ivan could be knocking on the door of the south side of the DR. Its early days but Ivan has gathered some tremendous strength and deserves some respect!

Hello tired boy,

We fly out Sept 29 for two weeks.

Staying in Bayahiba.......south coast I believe.

Never expected this kind of stuff when I booked in July!...."Its the rainy season sir"......yer right!

Oh well stiff upper lip and all that eh!

Victor.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I like flying down during hurricaine season. I am heading down the 16th. I scoff at Ivan!

Larry

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hlywud said:
Might hit, might not, try this with your Presidente

http://www.wagenschenke.ch/

Keep him upright if you can 30 meters is a record.

Maybe not quite Ivan related..........but certainly cheered me up and lightened the mood.

I did 4 metres twice and then did a whopping 75! That will be me on Tuesday the day before 'the terrible' may arrive!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Larry said:
I like flying down during hurricaine season. I am heading down the 16th. I scoff at Ivan!

Larry

Yeah, you scoff at Ivan because he passes by on the 8th. I fly on the 7th.

In 12 weeks over 6 years i have never seen more than half an hour rain at any one time. The record 'might' be broken this year. :(

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Winds now 135 mph..

as of the 8 pm advisory. Further strengthening expected over the next 24 hours. The track shown across the DR on the 5 pm update is a common one.

Last edited:

skiller

Aug 9, 2004
www.neteksolutions.net
...DANGEROUS IVAN RAPIDLY INTENSIFIES INTO A CATEGORY 4
HURRICANE...MOVING TOWARD THE LESSER ANTILLES...

At 8 Pm Ast...0000z...the Center Of Hurricane Ivan Was Located Near
Latitude 10.6 North...longitude 48.5 West Or About 760
Miles...1225 Km...east-southeast Of Barbados.

Ivan Is Moving Toward The West-northwest Near 21 Mph ...33
Km/hr...and This Motion Is Expected To Continue For The Next 24
Hours.

Maximum Sustained Winds Are Near 135 Mph...215 Km/hr...with Higher
Gusts. Additional Strengthening Is Possible Over The Next 24 Hours.

Hurricane Force Winds Extend Outward Up To 25 Miles... 35 Km...
From The Center...and Tropical Storm Force Winds Extend Outward Up
To 125 Miles...205 Km.

Source:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Still watching the weather channel. One forecaster sounds like he's hoping Ivan will hit the island to lesson the intensity on the states. He commented that once a Cat 3 or 4 hits Hispanoila, it comes out a Cat 1. ex... David
He said the worst case scenerio for Florida or the Gulf Coast is if goes to the south or north of DR.

Just what I'm hearing, nothing more.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MaryS said:
Still watching the weather channel. One forecaster sounds like he's hoping Ivan will hit the island to lesson the intensity on the states.

Just what I'm hearing, nothing more.

Find another station, Mary, one that is DR friendly

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
wagenschenke..too easy

Got 36 on second try, due to my understanding of drunken physics. I DON'T understand hurricane physics, so I hope that Ivan goes somewhere else, and drunkenly falls south again like Earl.

That (wagenschenke) is a fun game however.

Hlywud said:
Might hit, might not, try this with your Presidente

http://www.wagenschenke.ch/

Keep him upright if you can 30 meters is a record.

Last edited: