Trujillo, mi padre

Should Angelita Trujillo's book, [I]"Trujillo, mi padre;"[/I] be allowed to circulate

• Yes

Votes: 64 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

principe

Nov 19, 2002
It was inevitable that the conversation would veer to the good vs the bad accomplished by the Trujillo regime.

Nals is certainly correct in his points. The Trujillo-Hull treaty has a monument in el malecon, Dominican institutions worked, and there was a "peaceful" period in Dominican history when compared to our turbulent past.

Without going point by point on Nals outline, we should ask ourselves were Trujillo's accomplishments good for the country because they were development at the time. I think so and would agree that at that point in time its was a net benefit for the nation.

However, looking back from where we are and saying Trujillo was better is a different story. Why? Well, for starters if we are in 2010 and we look back to our era of progress as the 1930-1960 period we're in trouble. This speaks volumes of the relative incompetence of the government apparatus today versus how it was under Trujillo.

So before we laud all the accomplishments of Trujillo, we can think of the failures of all the subsequent administrations relative to his.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
If you read the various works on Trujillo, you learn that none of his appointed got their positions, or kept their positions without committing heinous crimes. Everyone was terrified of him. Also remember that Balaguer was chief toad under Trujillo, and was supported by many of the surviving heirarchy. Trujillio may have been assassinated but his lackies continue to enjoy their perks of power.
Trujillo's was a reign of terror, as anyone who visited the island before 1960 can testify. No one was safe. Criticism was not allowed. In fact, you could be killed for criticizing him, and spies were everywhere. If free speech is allowed now, there has been some progress.

Last edited:

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
1. During the Trujillo-Hulk treaty, for the first and only time in the history of the Republic (and possibly of any country in the world) the national debt was completely repaid.

........And not too long after DR was back in red, in 1961 our foreign debt had ballooned to 15 millions dollars, which wasn't chump change at the time. I would not put this item in the list of his accomplishment.

2. Constructs (the physical structures and as institutions):
  • Banco Central de la Rep?blica Dominicana (establishes the Dominican Peso de Oro with an exchange rate of RD$1=US$1, and remained as such for the entire dictatorship - prior to this the Dominican Republic didn't had its own currency but rather used the US Dollar as legal tender).

This is inaccurate. According to Jose De La Gandara; One of the reasons why the annexation to Spain failed was the terrible job the Spaniards did in substituting "OUR" currency with "THEIR". The pace of the exchange was too slow and they didn't have proper controls in place, this allowed the poor peasants to be targeted by scammers and speculators, who would "Buy" the money from people at very low prices and then exchange it to the Spaniard authorities at normal rate, making huge profits.

During the "Restoration War", one of the demands made by the rebels to the Spanish army was the devolution of the Dominican currency, which the Spaniards kept safely stored in Santo Domingo.

[*]The National Police

Inaccurate. In 1917 the American administrator (Knapp) reorganized the Dominican armed forces, calling them "Guardia Nacional Dominicana". In 1921 he renamed it "Policia Nacional Dominicana".

3. The Dominican Armed Forces was a respected institution within and outside the Dominican Republic. Establishes the Air Force and greatly expands the capacity and might of the Navy and Military. Also, Dominican military men were much more serious and took their duty seriously, unlike the many charlatans that currently find themselves in the ranks.

All of Trujillo's accomplishment were made to serve his political projects and I would refuse to give so much credit to someone who always acted more like a vulgar thief instead of a high ranking official. 3 years before taking the presidency, while acting as army chief he was given 500,000 dollars to buy supplies for the army, he stole the money and never was able to demonstrate how he spent it.

In 1928 Trujillo initiated contacts in England to buy 2000 rifles at 77 dollars per. Later it was discovered that he only paid 25 dollars per units, and the rifles he acquired were useless models, made in 1893, much older than what the army already had.

As Valentina Peguero puts it in her Books (Militarization of the Culture in Dominican Republic);

"Behind the facade of reformer and modernizer, Trujillo was undermining his superiors and profiting at the expense of the state and Dominican taxpayers."

The best policy implemented by Trujillo while acting as army chief was hanging a sign outside his Santiago Office that said;

"Those entering this office remember that Trujillo reads your minds."

4. In terms of Public Works, the amount of investment was extraordinary. For example the churches, etc.

Giving away Dominican's taxpayer money, building churches and mega churches for an institution that is way richer than our nation doesn't count as excellency in my book.

he encouraged Dominicans to be clean (prior to his regime Dominicans rarely bathed or took showers, it was him who taught the populace this hygienic ritual),

Sources?.

Even in religion his mark was made by encouraging the Virgin of Altagracia as the national virgin to which all Dominican Catholics were to show respect towards, even the Cibae?os began to revere the Virgin of Altagracia despite Cibae?os having had the Virgin of las Mercedes as their virgin and the Santo Cerro as their holiest place. La Altagracia became the virgin of all Dominicans under his regime.

Getting people to swap superstitions does not amount to "excellency" either. How many santiagueros got killed after swapping virgins?.

everyone dressed decently in public,

2010-03-09_2045.jpg

people followed the laws, the border was respected,

At what price?.

6. The companies that he established initiated several domestic industries (nails, suits, glass, carton, paint, fire arms, tobacco, insurance, chocolates, footwear, vegetable oil, batteries, cement, electricity, paper, salt mines, real estate, textiles, marble queries, gypsum mines). He even created Dominicana de Aviaci?n.

According to Michael Hall, in his book; "Sugar & Power in the Dominican Rep.", Trujillo's fortune probably reached one billion dollars and he owned (with his family) around 50% of all the assets in the country, but he didn't do that by being excellence, rather in spite of his mediocrity as a business man. Trujillo's financial brain was Anselmo Paulino, nicknamed "El Tuerto" (one eye), he was the engine behind the creation of all the companies that would later form part of the "Corde" group (Dominicana de Aviacion included). He was so influential that there's a period within the "Trujillo Era" known as "El Anselmato". One of his accomplishment is the construccion of the "Haina Sugar Mill", one of the world's biggest at that time.

So how did Trujillo payback the guy who helped him amassed his incredible fortune?, he fired him partly because of rumors & family gossips, put him in jail for a few months and later "encouraged" him to move to France.

None of Trujillo's business's practices amount to excellence, he simply bulldozed people who were in his way to make more money and gather more power. He forcefully acquired almost all of the foreign owned sugar mills, using intimidation and bribery, and making incredible easy for him to get all the land needed for his sugar crop without properly compensating the state. But that wasn't enough for this dumb ass, neither was that during WWII England was buying virtually 100% of our sugar production, at the incredible price of 26.5 cents per pounds. It was not enough that he had and endless pool of slaves, making hundreds of prisoners work uncompensated in his farms and plantations, he still needed more.

Once he owned most of the sugar mills, he exempted them from paying taxes, virtually making impossible they would operate with any loss. At the same time he hit the few foreign companies that still remained in the business with a 20% tax!. That is not being excellence Nals, that's being a vulgar thief and a bully!.

Even in some of the most controversial aspects of his regime, such as the importation of Europeans and Japanese, the primary goal was to develop certain sectors of the economy and strengthen the Hispanic, Latin and Catholic character of the Dominican people. For this reason the invitation was not to just any Europeans, he didn't wanted Anglo-Saxons or Germanic people,

The only reason why Trujillo didn't fill the island with Nazis can be resumed in three words; Franklyn Delano Roosevelt. Trujillo knew what he could and couldn't do, and in the eyes of FDR, bringing Germans to the Caribbean was a "no no". Still, he managed to bring a few of them, but as soon as WWII started, he accused them of plotting against the government and put them in a concentration camp.

or even Scandinavians;

He brought as many Scandinavians as he could (2,000 of them).

He imported the Japanese precisely due to their expertise in growing temperate foods, and that's why he placed them in the Constanza Valley where the weather is most apt for such crops.

Not too long ago the government of Japan apologize to the offspring of those Japanese immigrants and agreed to pay them financial compensation for all the suffering they endure in DR. they also agreed to let back into Japan those who wanted to do so. Trujillo never gave this people all he promised, never supplied them all they needed to fully contribute to our agriculture.

During WWII; Roosevelt organized a Refugee Conference looking for countries willing to accept German-Jews (funny how the "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave" was no willing to take Jews). Trujillo's envoy expressed his willingness to accept 100,000 Jews; the whole world laughed at Trujillo and reluctantly gave him 2,000. Before that, Trujillo sent word to FDR that he wanted to bring 100,000 Puerto Rican to DR, Roosevelt gave him "zilch", zero, nada.

In october of 1937, while making a run near the border, a "smiling" Trujillo was vigorously shaking hands of Haitians living in DR, telling them "they had nothing to fear", all they needed to do was cultivate the land and make sure their crops reach the markets. 3 days later, all those Haitians were either dead or running for their lives.

Put all these things together Nals, and instead of excellency what we have is possibly one of the worst (if not the worst!) immigration policies in human history; literally, "Trujillo no daba pie con bola". In immigration he went from one miserable failure to another.

Reactions: Chirimoya

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Vacara said:
........And not too long after DR was back in red, in 1961 our foreign debt had ballooned to 15 millions dollars, which wasn't chump change at the time. I would not put this item in the list of his accomplishment.
Whatever debt that might had existed was negligible. Even the most antitrujillistas admits to this.

Vacara said:
This is inaccurate. According to Jose De La Gandara; One of the reasons why the annexation to Spain failed was the terrible job the Spaniards did in substituting "OUR" currency with "THEIR". The pace of the exchange was too slow and they didn't have proper controls in place, this allowed the poor peasants to be targeted by scammers and speculators, who would "Buy" the money from people at very low prices and then exchange it to the Spaniard authorities at normal rate, making huge profits.
Trujillo's dictatorship started in the 20th century, not the middle of the 19th century. When Trujillo took power, the US Dollar was legal tender and reamained so until he established the Dominican Peso in 1947.

There are some realities that can't be denied, as you very well know.

Whatever occurred during the recolonization is completely irrelevant and quite a shallow attempt to deny the undeniable.

Vacara said:
Inaccurate. In 1917 the American administrator (Knapp) reorganized the Dominican armed forces, calling them "Guardia Nacional Dominicana". In 1921 he renamed it "Policia Nacional Dominicana".
That's not true, I don't know why you are attempting to brush certain realities under the rug.

The National Police was created on March 2, 1936 by a decree. Guess who was ruling the country by that time?

Source

Vacara said:
All of Trujillo's accomplishment were made to serve his political projects and I would refuse to give so much credit to someone who always acted more like a vulgar thief instead of a high ranking official. 3 years before taking the presidency, while acting as army chief he was given 500,000 dollars to buy supplies for the army, he stole the money and never was able to demonstrate how he spent it.
I need to see the source where you're getting this information from.

Don't confuse Trujillo with Duvalier with terms like 'vulgar thief' or not giving him credits where they are due. There is a reason why the DR was in much better shape in 1961 than Haiti was at the end of the Duvaliers reign in the 1980s. I think the term 'vulgar thief' is appropriate for the appropriate dictator.

Vacara said:
Getting people to swap superstitions does not amount to "excellency" either. How many santiagueros got killed after swapping virgins?.
Another cheap shot attempt to sweep the dust under the rug.

Vacara said:
LOL.

I think I presented that photo here on DR1 when LIFE made that and many other photos public.

Kids having a good time, that says something. LOL. :cheeky:

Vacara said:
According to Michael Hall, in his book; "Sugar & Power in the Dominican Rep.", Trujillo's fortune probably reached one billion dollars and he owned (with his family) around 50% of all the assets in the country, but he didn't do that by being excellence, rather in spite of his mediocrity as a business man. Trujillo's financial brain was Anselmo Paulino, nicknamed "El Tuerto" (one eye), he was the engine behind the creation of all the companies that would later form part of the "Corde" group (Dominicana de Aviacion included). He was so influential that there's a period within the "Trujillo Era" known as "El Anselmato". One of his accomplishment is the construccion of the "Haina Sugar Mill", one of the world's biggest at that time.
Trujillo was trained by the U.S. Military to think and act as a Marine, a soldier, a military man. He later became a nation/state builder.

He was never a businessman, but he did owned many and surrounding himself (and filled the top positions of his firms) with the brightest minds available at that time.

I know you're attempting to make Trujillo appear dumb, but dumb he was not. Dumb people don't quickly rise the ranks of an institution created, designed and instructed by the US Military to become of the most stellar examples, often catching the attention of his superiors. Dumb people are not capable of building a regime as he did, and dumb people don't typically surround themselves with people who are smarter. To do all of that and more requires something dumb people don't have.

Again, there is too much sweeping under the rug.

Vacara said:
He brought as many Scandinavians as he could (2,000 of them).
That would had been one of the largest influxes of foreigners during this regime, which should had cemented their mention in every single book and essay that has been written about this particular topic. Unfortunately, Scandinavians are not that often mentioned, and I post 'not often' because I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, considering I have never seen such assertion in any of the works I've read concerning the dictatorship.

Plus, all the speeches (as a great example, read the transcripts of Pe?a Batlle's speech concerning this topic), laws (in the sticky in the Polls Forum you will find a PDF file to all the agreements made between the DR and Spain, notice what the laws concerning why immigration from Spain was preferred) and articles overwhelmingly and beyond a reasonable doubt make clear that the preference always was for Latin-Mediterranean men.

Vacara said:
Not too long ago the government of Japan apologize to the offspring of those Japanese immigrants and agreed to pay them financial compensation for all the suffering they endure in DR. they also agreed to let back into Japan those who wanted to do so. Trujillo never gave this people all he promised, never supplied them all they needed to fully contribute to our agriculture.
Trujillo did gave them what was promised, however they developed a feeling of being cheated from Japan's extraordinary development that catapulted that country to the ranks of the world's most industrialized countries. The Japanese did what they were suppose to do in Constanza and they did it well, but contrary to the Jews of Sosua who worked hard to become big players in the Dominican milk and its derivatives market; a small group of the Japanese decided to compared their own level of achievement and the development of the DR vs. what Japan has achieved in their absence.

In all likelihood, they saw an opportunity to get something for nothing from the Japanese government.

Vacara said:
In october of 1937, while making a run near the border, a "smiling" Trujillo was vigorously shaking hands of Haitians living in DR, telling them "they had nothing to fear", all they needed to do was cultivate the land and make sure their crops reach the markets. 3 days later, all those Haitians were either dead or running for their lives.
Please, mention the source of this, because from my understanding, Trujillo was not smiling and he made a speech to the Dominicans in the area that the Haitianization of the DR will be put to an end. Keep in mind that by that time the Haitians had permeated Dominican territory to such length that the Haitian Gourde freely circulated as far east as Mao in the Cibao and Azua in the south.

I said it before and I would say it again, while there are many things that Trujillo should had never done, there are plenty that can't simply be brushed under the rug!

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
1. During the Trujillo-Hulk treaty, for the first and only time in the history of the Republic (and possibly of any country in the world) the national debt was completely repaid.

Nals; Let's say you owe me money and for the longest time I've been trying to get paid with no positive result. One day, I get sick of it, go to your workplace and like a "Dominican Macho", take money out of your pocket, pay myself and give you back the rest. Can you then start boasting that you pay me my money?, I don't think so.

Trujillo did what Carlos Felipe Morales, Ram?n C?ceres, Eladio Victoria, Juan Isidro Jimenes, The Council of Secretaries of State, Francisco Henr?quez y Carvajal, Horacio V?squez and Rafael Estrella Ure?a did before him, get the hell out of the way, let the Americans collect the custom money, pay themselves (55%) and give Dominicans the remaining 45%.

Where's the glory?, the accomplishment?, how can you turn "forced actions" into acts of excellency?.

What were Trujillo's options?,......wrestle control of the custom off the Americans?.

One of Trujillo's first action of government was to stop the payment of the foreign debt (with the agreement of FDR). He then tried to negotiate a new treaty that would return control of the custom to Dominicans. The gringos gave him a resounding "NO" and for the next 10 years continually refused to give him control of the custom houses (which provided the government more than 90% of its income).

It was only in 1940, with the arrival of WWII and the gringos foreseeing the struggle against a communist Russia that they decided to implement the policy of "Good Neighbor" and returned control of the custom to Dominicans, but they did so in name only because by law, Trujillo was still required to deposit in the National City Bank of New York all the money collected in the custom. It was an official at said bank who would write a check to the bond holders and then a check with the remaining money to the Dominican government. So let me ask you again Nals; what was Trujillo's accomplishment?.

What would have happened if Trujillo breaks the agreement and decided to stop depositing the money on said bank?, let's fast forward 21 years.

1961, Trujillo is dead and Ramfis has just left the country on the Angelita yacht. His two uncles (Petan and Negro) are on their way to "El Palacio" with dozens of armed guards to execute a "Coup D'etat". They have a list of thousands of people they intend to kill once they grab the power. In the Cibao region alone that list include 3,000 names.

Petan and Negro, armed to the teeth with guns, machine guns, hand grenades etc. went into Balaguer's office, shortly followed by American consul John Calvin Hill, there's an animated conversation (witnesses couldn't actually hear anything but they saw the gestures) and at some point Mr. Hill took the Trujillo's brother to the balcony and showed them a spot in the Caribbean sea, not far from the coast where 1 submarine, 3 aircraft carriers, 280 airplanes and 5,000 marines were closely watching how events unfolded, willing and able to implement the "Sugar and Fleet" policy (do what I want and I'll buy your sugar, don't do what I want and I'll send my fleet).

The Trujillo's brothers left soon after.

On a funny note, for the first time in history people were actually happy to see invading forces, as the Malecon was full of Dominicans chanting "Vivan Los Imperialistas".

Reactions: AlterEgo

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Allow it to circulate. It is the best way to let the light of scrutiny dissect its pages. Did anybody expect a mea culpa?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Nals; Let's say you owe me money and for the longest time I've been trying to get paid with no positive result. One day, I get sick of it, go to your workplace and like a "Dominican Macho", take money out of your pocket, pay myself and give you back the rest. Can you then start boasting that you pay me my money?, I don't think so.

Trujillo did what Carlos Felipe Morales, Ram?n C?ceres, Eladio Victoria, Juan Isidro Jimenes, The Council of Secretaries of State, Francisco Henr?quez y Carvajal, Horacio V?squez and Rafael Estrella Ure?a did before him, get the hell out of the way, let the Americans collect the custom money, pay themselves (55%) and give Dominicans the remaining 45%.

Where's the glory?, the accomplishment?, how can you turn "forced actions" into acts of excellency?.

What were Trujillo's options?,......wrestle control of the custom off the Americans?.

One of Trujillo's first action of government was to stop the payment of the foreign debt (with the agreement of FDR). He then tried to negotiate a new treaty that would return control of the custom to Dominicans. The gringos gave him a resounding "NO" and for the next 10 years continually refused to give him control of the custom houses (which provided the government more than 90% of its income).

It was only in 1940, with the arrival of WWII and the gringos foreseeing the struggle against a communist Russia that they decided to implement the policy of "Good Neighbor" and returned control of the custom to Dominicans, but they did so in name only because by law, Trujillo was still required to deposit in the National City Bank of New York all the money collected in the custom. It was an official at said bank who would write a check to the bond holders and then a check with the remaining money to the Dominican government. So let me ask you again Nals; what was Trujillo's accomplishment?.

What would have happened if Trujillo breaks the agreement and decided to stop depositing the money on said bank?, let's fast forward 21 years.

1961, Trujillo is dead and Ramfis has just left the country on the Angelita yacht. His two uncles (Petan and Negro) are on their way to "El Palacio" with dozens of armed guards to execute a "Coup D'etat". They have a list of thousands of people they intend to kill once they grab the power. In the Cibao region alone that list include 3,000 names.

Petan and Negro, armed to the teeth with guns, machine guns, hand grenades etc. went into Balaguer's office, shortly followed by American consul John Calvin Hill, there's an animated conversation (witnesses couldn't actually hear anything but they saw the gestures) and at some point Mr. Hill took the Trujillo's brother to the balcony and showed them a spot in the Caribbean sea, not far from the coast where 1 submarine, 3 aircraft carriers, 280 airplanes and 5,000 marines were closely watching how events unfolded, willing and able to implement the "Sugar and Fleet" policy (do what I want and I'll buy your sugar, don't do what I want and I'll send my fleet).

The Trujillo's brothers left soon after.

On a funny note, for the first time in history people were actually happy to see invading forces, as the Malecon was full of Dominicans chanting "Vivan Los Imperialistas".

Links on this please. especially the 3 aircraft carriers, that are within line of sight. the 280 airplanes, and the 5000 marines.
Better have been more ships, as the 3 carriers, would not have that complement of planes, or marines.

Jan 3, 2003
I wasn't surprised at all, cuz back then (& even now) hardly a day pass by without me catching someone thinking out loud how good would it be to have Trujillo back in "El Palacio", to restore order & respect.

I would love to have another Trujillo in power to bring back ORDER, DISCIPLINE and STRUCTURE to the armed forces, the police, gov't and eliminate by extreme force all the crime and mayhem in the DR.

This Neo-Trujillo would begin by executing tens of thousands in the DR and this is what we need to restore order.

ORDER must be RESTORED.

Trujillo said,"El bien se impone.!!!"

No words resonate more strongly given the lawlessness present in the DR.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Keep your wifes and daughters indoors and hopefully your property will not be confiscated "por el estado".

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Democracy comes with freedom of speech.
Freedom however is not unlimited, it starts and ends where others freedom starts and ends.
Germany, since some have brought it up in relationship to it's democracy and past dictatorial history, has recognized the fact that freedom has it's limits when it comes to freedom of speech. Hence, voicing the denial of the Holocaust is NOT protected under the freedom of speech as it infringes on the freedom of honoring the memories of those who have lost their lives under the Nazi boots.

I have not read Trujillo, mi padre so I have voted in favor of allowing it's circulation on this poll, because as HB pointed out, the factual collaboration of historical recounts are limited in great part to hear say. So, others ought to be able to have their say heard. More so, those who which ought to have unfettered access to all possible versions.
Furthermore, I think that banning the book would only yield it unmerited attention.
I think that the showdown in Santo Domingo was organized for that very reason, to make it into the news. Otherwise, in Miami, NYC or Spain, the whole thing wouldn't even have made it in between the obituaries.
After all, it's not really in the DR where to expect to find a lot of book readers

As to Angelita's little "historical" statements. Well, I've watched the interviews she gave and all I hear is nothing much more than a fat old brat-raised would be "Lady" clinging on to some kind of pased fame, singing the same song you'd hear most chopas render so beautifully again and again at any corner colmado around a Presidente familiar: "... NO fue el, fueron ellos tambien!". YouTube - Alicia Ortega entrevist? a la "Hija del Jefe"

... J-D.