turkish man murdered in las terrenas

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
The problem is that many in that line of 'work' don't appear to value their lives much either.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Getting killed for a cellphone should never happen anywhere. :ermm:

I've heard of more than one case where they stab and grab. No polite introductory "your phone or your life". People just see some guy screaming and rolling in his own blood while the perp slips away. There's nothing subtle about it.

If you need to use a phone on the street, I'd buy a cheap phone for that purpose and keep anything valuable out of sight.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
He was probably the only Turk in the DR so there will be no retaliation.
Poor guy killed for a cell phone, waiting for the mothers of the killers coming on the news telling how good boys they are.
Las Terrenas is not really known for crime or am I mistaken?

If I'm correct this gentleman was probably part of the the crew from Turkey who has been in Las Terrenas every year to film their version of the Survival show which they produce. Something about this doesn't sound right to me. Got to be more to the story.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bet you’re right LT.
If what you say is right...he would know his around and how to be aware.

A regular visitor, every year

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Might not matter. Look at what happened to my husband. These lowlifes are equal opportunity thieves and murderers

Respectfully.. they are not opportunity thieves as much as totally NOT able to control their Impulses ..
Not sure if its the lack of education or just being totally clueless what the punishment is for the petty crimes which suddenly turn extremely Violent .
They just cant seem to process Risk vs Reward ..
And when the Testosterone kicks in, or they are on Drugs , look out .. less than Zero Impulse control...
I am sure afterwards they are a bit sorry for what they did it , or at least have regrets ..but the damage is already done ..
You cant unscrew the Pooch.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Might not matter. Look at what happened to my husband. These lowlifes are equal opportunity thieves and murderers

I wondered why they didn't steal your husbands phone instead of smashing it ? Have his head wounds healed

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wondered why they didn't steal your husbands phone instead of smashing it ? Have his head wounds healed

I guess because he was enraged over the photos being taken. If he stole the phone, he’d have been arrested immediately because he lives nearby. Not like a stranger on a moto grabbing it. Ironically, after Apple repaired the phone (under warranty, cost us $29 for entire new display), the photos were safe and sound. His head is fine.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Respectfully.. they are not opportunity thieves as much as totally NOT able to control their Impulses ..
Not sure if its the lack of education or just being totally clueless what the punishment is for the petty crimes which suddenly turn extremely Violent .
They just cant seem to process Risk vs Reward ..
And when the Testosterone kicks in, or they are on Drugs , look out .. less than Zero Impulse control...
I am sure afterwards they are a bit sorry for what they did it , or at least have regrets ..but the damage is already done ..
You cant unscrew the Pooch.

Word is Sociopath... Nothing sudden about it and, no, they don't have regrets.

You're trying to rationalize behavior from you're own point of reference. Their behavior is akin to a 3 year old wanting chocolate. They want it, they take it, they don't regret it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Word is Sociopath... Nothing sudden about it and, no, they don't have regrets.

You're trying to rationalize behavior from you're own point of reference. Their behavior is akin to a 3 year old wanting chocolate. They want it, they take it, they don't regret it.

So using your own example , you don't think a 3 year old exemplifies a total Lack of Impulse control ?
I don't believe so many young men can be psychopaths .. and i do believe most regret their actions afterwards .

Have you never lost your temper, and regretted it .

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
The only regret they feel is having to face the consequences of their actions, but they dont feel for the victim nor their family.

The streets of DR are filled with these little demonic teens and alot of future ones.. This society has some serious, serious problems that can blow up in the near future.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I did not mean they are repentant , or remorseful...
So if this is the case, that we have wild Animals running in the streets , maybe the Authorities best take out the Garbage .. or face much worse, Economically speaking.
I do not know any family who wants to travel to a country where they or their Children can be killed for a Cell phone.
Robbed is one thing.. Stabbed for something so meaningless as a cell .. that is a Game Changer ,and they best do something about it ..
I had heard about this happening in Santiago.. In certain places ...
But as others have said , Las Terrenas is considered Pretty SAFE....... until its NOT...
and then you can kiss Tourism good bye ..
If this happened in Punta Cana, it would be International News. Which this may already become

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So if this is the case, that we have wild Animals running in the streets , maybe the Authorities best take out the Garbage

Robbed is one thing.. Stabbed for something so meaningless as a cell .. that is a Game Changer ,and they best do something about it ..

This has been going on in the Dominican population for sometime. Not everyday, but I've definitely heard of enough cases that it's not a freakish event. It's even more common in Haiti as Haitians seem to have an affinity to knives and apparently even more sociopaths which isn't that surprising for a number of reasons.

I suspect the Turk was mistaken for a Dominican as killing gringos is usually met with a swift justice. So, they do have some "impulse control", but it's not because they value human life. They just don't want to get caught and pay the price.

Re: 3 year olds and impulse control - there's a subtle difference. Most adults have values that they respect others. I don't rob, abuse, rape, and kill not because it's illegal and there are penalties, but because I respect others and have empathy them. Even if we descended into anarchy, I'd still behave the same. It's not a question of impulse control.

The DR is great for history students. If you want to understand the harsh realities of, say, ancient Rome, you don't need to time machine; just get a plane ticket to the DR, live in a ghetto, and you get to experience it first hand.