turkish man murdered in las terrenas

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
From today's DR1 Daily News:

Police arrest two in Samana cameraman murder case
The Police arrested on Wednesday, 30 June 2018, the two lead suspects of the murder of a Turkish citizen, 24-year old Alper Baycin on 27 June. He was in Samana participating in the filming of a reality show. The killing occurred in the Las Ballenas area of Las Terrenas.

20-year old Nelson Rodríguez Almonte (El Chivo) resident in El Limón is accused of stabbing the cameraman when the later reportedly resisted turning over his backpack to the thieves. Baycin died on scene from knife wounds to his heart. At the time of the crime, Rodríguez was accompanied by a 15-year old whose identity has not been revealed.

The Police arrested the two individuals and took possession of a Z-3000 motorcycle that reportedly the assailants used in the crime. The police also seized the knife that they suspect was used in the stabbing. Clothing was also found that the suspects may have been wearing at the time of the deadly assault.

Baycin was in Las Terrenas for the filming of the Turkish version of the Survivor reality show.

The producers of the show said that it has been produced since 2011 in the Dominican Republic without any previous security problems.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Kill shot. That appears to be the norm in these crimes.

The 15 year old seems like a monster in the making.

I would a agree then in this case.. Any 15 year old who knows just how to hold a blade, as to penetrate between the ribs, and directly hit the Heart ....
That youth could indeed be a monster in the making..
Best to dispose of such Trash as quickly as possible.,
Just imagine how efficient he would be when he is older .
In fact find out who trained this animal, and take them out too.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
disagree. he is already a monster, just a young one. but according to the article above was not the 15 year old that done the stabbing. note multiple wounds, so maybe just got lucky, heart is pretty well protected.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
note multiple wounds, so maybe just got lucky, heart is pretty well protected.

Are you saying that multiple stab wounds to the chest is not a kill shot? Maybe he was tickling him with his knife so he'd let go of the backpack. These tigures are just misunderstood. ;)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Are you saying that multiple stab wounds to the chest is not a kill shot? Maybe he was tickling him with his knife so he'd let go of the backpack. These tigures are just misunderstood. ;)

no not saying that at all but to me kill shot indicated 1 stab directly to the heart, that's a hard place to hit.
with multiples he gets lucky and gets through the gap in ribs or breaks one or slides off the sternum and into the heart.

Last edited:

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
True.

The only person that I know of to survive one these attacks is a brother of a good friend. The doctor told him that his sternum blocked the knife and protected his heart. Although the intent was clear, ... To kill.

The.other shot took a kidney which is extremely painful to the point of disabling the victim. These are moves taught to special forces. Although I'm not saying the perp had training or not.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I agree with Robert. With a proper conviction for murder not just on a tourist but on anyone that is planned and not just out of temporary rage a few public executions in the right neighbourhoods would be a deterrent. Those who say they do not even value their own lives are wrong. If you have a good chance of being executed for a pre meditated murder during the commission of a crime then i think you might think about the possible consequences.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I agree with Robert. With a proper conviction for murder not just on a tourist but on anyone that is planned and not just out of temporary rage a few public executions in the right neighbourhoods would be a deterrent. Those who say they do not even value their own lives are wrong. If you have a good chance of being executed for a pre meditated murder during the commission of a crime then i think you might think about the possible consequences.

I suspect that's the motivations for the lynchings around Santiago. I forget the number but it was >10% of all murders. (Since I read about that, I've been asking about it in Puerto Plata and I've come up dry. I can't find a witness to any if they occur, and I'm sure that I'm plugged into the barrio grapevine. )

There's no cure for sociopaths. Either they learn to empathize with their fellow travelers at a young age, or they don't. For reference, about 4% of the US population qualify as sociopaths.

I think that number divides into people that will follow the "social rules" (laws), and those that (for whatever reason) are just not cognizant of rules or deliberately steer off into the weeds. In the DR, I think the rules around what is "legal" is extremely vague. Obviously, murder and robbery is not accepted, but there seems to be a cultural propensity towards lying, corruption, and living in the grey area of the law. I'll stop there before digressing.

I don't know if executions would work. I love the joke about the 3 marines that are told that 2 out of 3 will die in the upcoming assault. Each marine looks at the other two and says "poor bastards". By the time a tiguere reaches maturity, I suspect they are immune to such threats.

In my opinion, they just need to be segregated from the population at an early age. One strike you're out style.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Poor Turk, so young, RIP.

And only 6 months for the 15 year old who was accomplice to a brutal murder, no wonder DR has such a crime rate - this is more of a joke than punishment.... !!!?

And how long does the murderer gets !?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

And only 6 months for the 15 year old who was accomplice to a brutal murder, no wonder DR has such a crime rate - this is more of a joke than punishment.... !!!?

The reason the DR has such a high crime rate is not because they let them out early but because of the poverty in the country and the population with it's "Tiguere" culture.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

The 6 months would be pre-trial custody - remand.