two cats lost in costambar

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Generally speaking, cat is not on the menu in the average Haitian kitchen - well not in Haiti anyway.

And if I may - this thing about Haitians eating mud. Pregnant Haitian women eat mud as they package it specifically for pregnant women with (seemingly) irrational cravings.
The misses ate it when she was preggers (against my better judgment at the time) and it didn't seem to do her any lasting harm.
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Very true. I have been to Haiti twice and never saw/heard a Haitian eating cat. Starving and stranded people have eaten other humans if that is their only option. Its called survival and is not nation specific.
To imply that it is a 'common and usual' practice for Haitians to steal cats to eat is not true, very insensitive and not funny at all (as other posters have stated), especially coming from a mod???
DV8 when you find your cats you can still let them out... but on a long leash. My friend does that in her backyard. They are too pretty and as Lambada said people would be tempted to steal them to sell them.

Anyways regarding the eating mud when pregnant. My mother did that when she was prgnant with my younger sister. Even though we laughed at her, her craving for it was so intense. It is actually quite common and they believe it is due to low iron and calcium levels which is common in pregancy.

Have any of pregnant woman here had craving for eating mud or cement? - Yahoo! Answers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i spent few hours today speaking to workers, house owners and business owners in the area. i also let them know to contact us if someone offers them our cats for sale. i checked out abandoned houses and home-made kitchens of squatters living there. no signs of blood.
later i will go to the other side of campo de golf.
all gringos i spoke to were sorry and sad when dominicans would inform me that my cats were probably eaten and offer new kittens. i appreciate both help and honesty.
fingers crossed for my gatitos to come back.
i also found out we have a pet cacata living under the driveway.
and the finger does not hurt much, good work, doctors in clinica brugal!

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
dv8
Just wanted to say that I really hope you get get your cats back. Only another animal lover would understand what our pets come to mean to us, part of the family!

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
im very sorry dv8:(
i have 2 cats myself, one for 14 years, and i would go crazy if they go missing :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thread has undergone a massive cleanup. Please can we get back to topic now.

dv8, have there been any developments?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you all for support - there is no news as of yet. i walk around every day and all people in the area were so helpful, they keep on asking me how things are going.
i have had numerous offers of new kittens as well, miesposo is getting worried :)
i keep my fingers crossed and i keep on hoping.
thank you for cleaning up here too.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Awww...dv8...I can only imagine how you feel..I`m a dog person myself, but if she went missing I would be going CRAZY!
My best thoughts & wishes for you and your cats!
I keep checking on this thread waiting to read the good news from you!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
On my last trip back to Santiago in February, I brought my cat. I have yet to let him outside, afraid of this exact thing happening to him. He is large, 20 lbs and never declawed. He is a long haired beauty and my girlfriend (Dominican) tells me that If I let him out he will either be sold or eaten, depending on who takes him. After reading all of these posts, he will never go outside. I have been pondering all this time should I or shouldn't. Now I know. I wish you the best of luck on finding your babies.

nadira

Nov 25, 2005
Lost pets in Costambar

Hi DV8,

I hope that your search is going well. I was wondering where you purchased your Siamese cat? She's beautiful...

More importantly, I used to live in Costambar (specifically in Villa Mexico) and the caretaker there lost 2 cats on the same day (and the pair had just had 5 kittens about 2 weeks earlier.) He found out that a neighbour living down the road which is perpendicular to Villa Mexico almost always leaves out poisoned meats, etc. She doesn't like cats so she's trying to get rid of them all one at a time.

After I found out about that, my cat is never allowed out.

Good Luck!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last few days i was searching campo de golf - but nothing came up.
i also alerted our ex-neighbours to have a lookout for the cats should they want to come back to our previous home.
we got siamese kitten from a russian gentleman in sosua and she is so fantastic, very vocal and talkative, i hope that if she was kidnapped she has found another loving home.
it is hard to live in a house and have indoor cats, one cannot live with all windows and doors closed all the time. our cats were going out to the garden for a while but never ventured further.
i am so heartbroken when i think they may be hungry, scared and lost. :ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we still did not find cats. after nearly 10 days i begin to lose hope.
one more appeal to all who shop and visit city centre: if you see one of the street vendors offering you a small siamese cat - it may be our baby. let us know, please. we are ready to buy it off if need be... :(

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
we still did not find cats. after nearly 10 days i begin to lose hope.
one more appeal to all who shop and visit city centre: if you see one of the street vendors offering you a small siamese cat - it may be our baby. let us know, please. we are ready to buy it off if need be... :(

Hate to say it but I think you're being realistic in losing hope after this length of time. Never seen anyone selling kittens on the street in PP but last week I did ask the guy who hangs out at the park on the corner of 27 de Febrero and Luis Ginebra (near Tropical) and sells puppies. He hadn't heard anything but I did ask him to ask the other animal sellers whom he knew. I assume you checked the pet shops in PP?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not think about checking pet shops, darn :tired:
but i have a friend who works for coraleche in SD and also runs a pet supply store. he says that siamese cat would be almost impossible to sell in POP due to the price tag - as much as 15k pesos.
also, i think retrieving cat from a pet store would be troublesome seeing that our kitty had no identification.
i keep on having dreams they are back at home.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Try Paiewonsky's on Antera Mota (in between DGII & cedula office), the one near Plaza las Americas CompraVenta Antonio, the one on Avenida Colon & the one past baseball stadium at Plaza Brugal. Those 4 I know about, there could well be others. The agroveterinarias are different & a long shot but pet shops are worth a visit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first one is our cousin and he knows our cats well. but thanks for a lead, i will give him a call, maybe he knows who is trying to sell a cat like ours.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
Hope you find them

I have been out of touch, I did not meet your siamese cat, hope they come home soon.