Two Security Myths

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
My previous life!

Before went into the mortgage business or even moved ot the DR, I manufactured jewelry for ........let's just say a lot of years! I am not in it anymore for precisley these reasons.

In short? Sad to say it doesn't really matter what your security, what alarms, what bars or whatever else, if they know what they are doing and want to get in, they will! All that has been described here are just deterents. Don't forget how easy it is to get a gun here!

Just keep your head about you and go about your life! Don't flash the jewelry, but don't fear to wear it either! If you aren't going to wear it, then get rid of it! Don't tell people when you won't be home, don't do the same routines all the time, again, keep your wits about you! Don't let your fears control your life!

If you evesdrop on a conversation sometime, you will be surprised how much information a person gives in five minutes, that an opportunist could easily take advantage of!

JRR

fatratpass

Dec 26, 2004
After more years in the DR recently I decided the solution is simple.

A tower without window for 2 stories, windows on 3rd floor, and patio on 4th floor, surrounded with 12 foot fence topped with razor wire is the answer.

Well and generator on first, MREs on second floors.

Sound like a fort?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
fatratpass said:
After more years in the DR recently I decided the solution is simple.

A tower without window for 2 stories, windows on 3rd floor, and patio on 4th floor, surrounded with 12 foot fence topped with razor wire is the answer.

Well and generator on first, MREs on second floors.

Sound like a fort?
What about the gun turrets attached to motion detectors? :)

fatratpass

Dec 26, 2004
rellosk,
I woujld reply tongue in cheek, but I have been censured by Chris, who's ideology precludes a humorous reply.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It all boils down to good police work

To bad that the Cobra, his brother and others can no longer do what police should do in this country. KILL the bad guys.

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
Home Security

Hello Canadian Bob!
We have lived in the Costambar area of Puerto Plata for almost 20 years, built our home here in '93, only going back and forth to western Canada for various work periods. We basically raised our 3 kids in the DR and both our girls, their husbands and our grandchildren live for most of the year here too, only returning to Canada for work.
After the first break-in we installed metal bars...the second and third break-ins saw us beef-up the locks...we have always had dogs but they're too friendly having been brought up with the family.
A number of times thieves have only managed to reach through glass doors and windows and dragged things out....while we were peacefully sleeping in the same rooms! At least they folded the pants and belt and left the credit cards neatly stacked outside.
Last year they got into the house again...stole 3 laptops (we had visitors) cell phones etc and threatened us with a machete....we had gotten sloppy with the locks on the bars and they pried them open to enter...beefed those up, smartened up, installed gates to lock, etc.
Now when we were back in Canada they've just managed to take off one of the locks (like with a key!) although they couldn't enter because we have two inch nails that we put into the hole we drilled into the top of each window and glass doors...doesn't matter that we've always had someone in the house...one time 8 adults.
Now we're considering a security system...video monitoring etc....
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks, in advance, for the help.
Debra
Canuck2

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We just installed an alarm system in our apartment in Sosua. We considered two proposals, one from a man in Puerto Plata who was recommended by somebody on this message board and another from Alerta in Santiago, recommended by a friend in Sosua.

We chose the Alerta system because we liked better what they offered. For the windows, for example, the company in Purto Plata uses magnetic sensors, which means the windows have to be closed for them to be armed. Alerta uses vibration sensors, so it makes no difference if the windows are open. If somebody trys to remove the bars or pull out the louvered glass of the windows, this will cause enough vibration to set off the alarm. If we were only concerned about protecting the apartment when we were away, then the magnetic sensos would be fine. But we want to be protected when we are in the apartment with the windows open for ventilation, thus we preferred the vibration sensors. They give protection whether windows open or closed.

We also preferred the motion detectors from Alerta that we installed on the balcony and in the living room. The units Puerto Plata uses are set off by temperature change whereas the ones from Alerta are set off by motion. For pet owners, they are designed to be activated by motion of something weighing no more than 40 pounds, so your family dog or cat can walk around without setting off the alarm.

Both companies use a very loud alarm, very loud.

If you want protection when at home or away, I would recommend a good alarm system. A surveilance camera requires somebody to monitor it. Alarms are set off by intruders, the people you are trying to protect against.

If you want more information about our Alerta system, send me an email or PM.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Its to bad we have to take all the precautions listed here......

We also have decided to go the full security route, just yeterday I paid a deposit to Soluciones Electronicas of Puerto Plata for a full security package consisting of outside 4 color camera's with night vision surrounding the house for full visabillity, 2 camara's full lenth variable for main floor and second floor.
A camara card for PC to be viewed and operated from anywhere in the world and also on monitor in bedroom.
4 indoor sensor's to detect movement (Also pet friendly)
2 control panel's
1 zone card
1 battery
30 vibration sensores
6 sensores for wood doors
3 siren's, 2 outside super loud and 1 inside smaller
50 magnet sensores
2 panic remote key chains.

All will be hooked up to the Puerto Plata Police Dept. (RD.$600.00 a month)
At first I was not going for this option above however about a month ago the next door Guy came home ****ed about 2:30 AM. and forgot to disable his Alarm System the Sirens went off and woke up everyone in the area. The PTO.PTA Police arrived in 3 minutes, had the guy handcuffed and bent over the hood of the Police car.
His wife came out pleading it was her husband and of course gave the Officer a special hand shake and all was forgotten.

We replaced all bars on windows, in front with inside bars.

We have 2 dogs 1 a 150 lb. Rottweiler.

We have put 2 high end locks on all doors.

Now if this all fails we have a S&W 9mm for back up.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
What happened to ...

"living in paradise?" When I visited in Jan. my father, and just about everyone I came in contact with, warned me about walking around with an expensive camera, walking alone at night etc.; that was in SD. I spent four days in Mao and the family there echoed the same warnings I got in SD. Is there a place on the island where one can feel safe without the high-end electronic surveillance, razor wire, 150lb. dogs, colt 45's and 9mm's? Excluding, of course, AI's, armed-guard gated communities and neighborhoods where high ranking military officials live. My reason for asking is that I've chosen not to live in fear wherever I've lived(Wash. Heights, the Bronx, Inglewood-California and now in "the sticks") and I would really hate for my plans to return to the DR to retire to be scuttled due to an inability to feel safe anywhere there. I'm not ostentatious and know how to "fit in".

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
2dlight said:
"living in paradise?" When I visited in Jan. my father, and just about everyone I came in contact with, warned me about walking around with an expensive camera, walking alone at night etc.; that was in SD. I spent four days in Mao and the family there echoed the same warnings I got in SD. Is there a place on the island where one can feel safe without the high-end electronic surveillance, razor wire, 150lb. dogs, colt 45's and 9mm's? Excluding, of course, AI's, armed-guard gated communities and neighborhoods where high ranking military officials live. My reason for asking is that I've chosen not to live in fear wherever I've lived(Wash. Heights, the Bronx, Inglewood-California and now in "the sticks") and I would really hate for my plans to return to the DR to retire to be scuttled due to an inability to feel safe anywhere there. I'm not ostentatious and know how to "fit in".

We have installed an alarm system but are not living in fear. We walk the streets and live just as we always have. The huge percentage of people here are great and are more likely to be crime victims than us gringos. However, there are a few that are criminals, probably even learned their "trade" in some of the places you mentioned. If they think you are an easy target, then you may get a visit. We have no plans to leave and would rather live here than anyplace else we have visted, including most of the islands of the eastern Caribbean. Where we live isn't perfect, but none of the places we have been are crime free, and we would rather protect against a few lawbreakers here than anywhere else we know of.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree with you Ken.
I am not sure it is DR where crime becomes more, but maybe in fact the world.
As living in a local community, downtown Puerto Plata, we are protected by taking care of our street and ourselves.
In addition, of course I have bars on all windows as well as a gate. Actually 2 gates. Entrance gate and also in front of the entrance door.
Apart from that a dog.

Nothing more. Daytime I have both patio and entrance doors open all days, as everybody has downtown. Evening I have the door open, close to where I am, either one of them.
If we go out, and at night, we lock our gates.

I feel absolutely safe here, and wouldn?t move for anything in the world.
I have lived in other countries as well, incl. USA, Jamaica and Russia.
There were maybe other things to consider about safety in each of those countries, but the fact remains, they are always to be considered.

Edited to include:
I would also like to add, that security here downtown is also made by not letting strangers in to your house, not even people you know or their friends.
Just your own real friends.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Street smarts

I also would not leave this country for anything after living here 17 years this Sept.

But you have to be on guard all the time, A good friend of mine Klaus went to the supermarket Tropical and had his wallet picked, not from back pocket but from side pocket, bumped and wallet dissapered.

Now I carry a few Pesos, foto copies of everything and watch my back.

If they hit me on the street they won't get much, If they come for me at my home they will get lead poisoning................

To Quote Clint Eastwood (Magnum Force)....Due you feel lucky?????????????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gringo said:
But you have to be on guard all the time, A good friend of mine Klaus went to the supermarket Tropical and had his wallet picked, not from back pocket but from side pocket, bumped and wallet dissapered.

Thanks for the heads up on the side pocket pick pocket. Ever since I had my wallet picked from my back pocket on a bus in Venezuela, I hae carried it in my side pocket, thinking I was safe.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
All of the proposed suggestions posted does in fact help deter crime and make you a bit less likely to become a victim. Another deterrent to crime is a neighbor watch program. This is a program that has proven to be very successful in a number of countries and could be implemented here in the DR. As crime does seem to be on the rise it would behoove all people living in this country to think about this program.

If this is something anyone should have in interest in then I found a link you should read which I found very interesting. The link also has a link to the web site of a neighbor watch program in Spain.

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=81&story_id=28583&name=How+Neighbourhood+Watch+turned+into+a+political+battle++

Rick

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Lights","Lights",and More "Lights"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bandit: Thieves" hate "LIGHTS"! I have a "Street Light" that "I" had installed,on the roof of my house "pointing" forward! That lights up my front yard,and a lot of the neighborhood! It is connected to my invertor.You would be amazed how it lights up the whole block! I have another one in the back yard up on a pole!
I have about 5 other "Flood Lights" around the house.
"LIGHTS" are just one of many measures you should take to prevent theft!

Number one is to NEVER leave the house empty/un-attended!

In 10 years we have never been robbed! (If you don't count when my wife's relatives visit!..That is why Dominicans put "lock-sets" on their bedroom doors and closets!!:ermm: )

Most "break-Ins" are "Inside Jobs"! You have been "cased" by your neighbors,maids,yard workers,"tradesmen","Family Members" who then know your schedule,and where/what you have of value. "Tradesmen" like to carry away more than they brought into your home to work with! You have to watch them,and check what they bring in,and take out! Tell them in advance what you are going to do.An honest man should not object,and they are then on "notice" that you are "watching"!

I count the "pesos" in my pocket everynight before I go to Bed!!! My wife knows it too! Dominican women consider it their "Right" to "Revisar" your pockets at night:sleep: ,and "Juntar" a little "Mad Money" for themselves!:cheeky:
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree with you Chris. That I why I wrote, NEVER let people you know or their friends in to your house. ONLY your real friends.
And as you say, things have a way of disapearing anyway...
Last year I brought 24 nice teaspoons in silver down when I was back home, that belonged to my mother. I have one ( 1) teaspoon today! And no one comes in here that I don?t know...and consider knowing well... Hmmmm...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
this is not healthy

If all that precaution is necessary, then is it worth it? Why live a life of near encarceration? It is really too bad....

Gringo said:
We also have decided to go the full security route, just yeterday I paid a deposit to Soluciones Electronicas of Puerto Plata for a full security package consisting of outside 4 color camera's with night vision surrounding the house for full visabillity, 2 camara's full lenth variable for main floor and second floor.
A camara card for PC to be viewed and operated from anywhere in the world and also on monitor in bedroom.
4 indoor sensor's to detect movement (Also pet friendly)
2 control panel's
1 zone card
1 battery
30 vibration sensores
6 sensores for wood doors
3 siren's, 2 outside super loud and 1 inside smaller
50 magnet sensores
2 panic remote key chains.

All will be hooked up to the Puerto Plata Police Dept. (RD.$600.00 a month)
At first I was not going for this option above however about a month ago the next door Guy came home ****ed about 2:30 AM. and forgot to disable his Alarm System the Sirens went off and woke up everyone in the area. The PTO.PTA Police arrived in 3 minutes, had the guy handcuffed and bent over the hood of the Police car.
His wife came out pleading it was her husband and of course gave the Officer a special hand shake and all was forgotten.

We replaced all bars on windows, in front with inside bars.

We have 2 dogs 1 a 150 lb. Rottweiler.

We have put 2 high end locks on all doors.

Now if this all fails we have a S&W 9mm for back up.