Ufffff Jodenorte, electric bill gone nuts

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what do you mean "discourage use"? they don't want to make good business? we have no A/C, only fan - at night, i turn off and disconect everything, what else is there to do? use horse-powered generator (no horse but we have a cat)? solar energy? put a wind turbine on a roof? eeech.... in half of july we've been in our flat we used 66kw (or whatever, i'm a woman, i don't know). last month it was 214. it's more than 3 times as much. as my polish frind says: it makes my hands and t**s drop to the floor....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Too funny. I understand what you are saying. I am only telling you what they told us - discourage use.......... as for cutting down on use, I don't know what more you can do. There is no rhyme or reason to some of these bills. I was out of the apt for 3 weeks, only one light on and my fridge, still I used massive amounts of electricity. Yes we have had the lines checked.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It?s too bad when you cross the barrier of 700 kwats and more when is 702 then you will pay more, if you change all lighst into the low comsumption lights, the bill goes down.

Too bad for you that has to continue suffering those black outs and receiving the same bill as if you have 24/7 Service, But all of us Dominicans has change our minds and pay the service, and for sure Edenorte and EdeSur will do the same that did EdeEste here in El Seibo and Hato Mayor, both cities are receiving 24 hrs 7 days a week power service, Starting Sept. 28 we haven?t have black outs.

After that now we are having better service of watter suply too.

Ririvaga, spread the word of what happens when everyone pays their electric bill!

Hopefully the rest of the country will catch on....

-NALs

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I shut off the water pump at night simply by pulling the fuse, resetting it in the morning. Now it doesn't recycle when I don't need the water. I don't have any numbers to compare yet. Canadian Bob.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Too funny. I understand what you are saying. I am only telling you what they told us - discourage use.......... as for cutting down on use, I don't know what more you can do. There is no rhyme or reason to some of these bills. I was out of the apt for 3 weeks, only one light on and my fridge, still I used massive amounts of electricity. Yes we have had the lines checked.

One common practice in apartment buildings is for your neighbors to change their lines over to your meter when they know you are going to be gone for an extended time. They can then enjoy AC when the grid is on without worrying about the bills. We had to have the place we worked for check our meters while we were out of town on vacation to stop this practice. We lived in very nice apartments but thievery is a way of life there no matter the social/economic level.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Squat, you need to fill your reefer with items that hold the cold.

Up here in Detroit people normally fill their reefers with other stuff...

You suckers crack me up...I ain't paying until I absolutely have to or until they provide reliable, reasonably priced electricity...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Huh?

....1 liter UHT milk containers filled with water.....
Your reefer has to run much, much longer to cool down the warm air that gets in everytime you open the door, than if it was filled with water.(Ice)

It takes much more energy to turn water into ice than cool down air to fridge temperature.

m'frog

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Turned off, meaning, Unplugged stereo, pc, projector etc from the power to save on standby current they might be drawing. the biggest step I took was to sleep without a/c. I slept with a ceiling fan and was very comfortable. I hope the real hot weather is over. I was quite cool with the fan. lets see my bill now.
AZB

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Nals, When everyone pay the bill you get 24 hrs and 7 days a week power Service as us are receiving now in El Seibo and Hato Mayor since Sept. 28th.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
As you all know, I live alone and my consumption of the electric has been the same all the time. I do use an a/c to sleep at night but this has been the case always. My bill used to come 1500 pesos, then doubled and then tripled and now came to 6700 plus for the month. What the hell?
I was paying like 4400 for the past 2 months and now they have decided to make it 6700 for this month. This is insane. What is next, 10,000 pesos for the following months?
Me go to their main office to complain.
AZB

Does this bill include the period of time that you were trying to save your old invertor batteries? For batteries to boil off the water, they must consume quite a bit of energy.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Does this bill include the period of time that you were trying to save your old invertor batteries? For batteries to boil off the water, they must consume quite a bit of energy.

Maybe maybe not. This bill is from last month so I am not sure.
AZB

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
JD,

Thanks for the advice. My hot water is on a switch and when I mean cold showers for 2 months I never turned it on. I put a ton of water in the fridge so hopefully that will help. As far as the pump, I have no idea. I live in a large building so that is billed to the owner but I think the owner is passing on the "common area" expenses onto our meters. My bills went up after he bought the building. I even had the electric company come and check my meter but they didn't unlock because logic tells them if it is locked then no one can tamer with it. I asked him if the owner had a key and he said yes. But no one can tamper with the meters, huh?? Sounds shady to me.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
It is not quite clear to me that most of you have the meter, if so, the better way is to check the numbers regularly and fight if they are not correct in the bill.
Do you still remember how many kW:ts all of you used in your former country ?
The waterheater use a lot, 1000 W makes one kW per hour and if you keep it on all the time.....

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
By the way, switching off the pump does not help anything unless you have leaking taps.
In PP there are an office established for protection of consumers of electric companies. It serves in cases like you guys told.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For comparison 4,006 kWh cost me with taxes...etc in Ontario $483.95 Canadian. That was my cost for 91 days Jun 15 -Sept 14- extensive airconditioning used. How much would my 4006 kWh have cost in the DR?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Comparison costs

For comparison 4,006 kWh cost me with taxes...etc in Ontario $483.95 Canadian. That was my cost for 91 days Jun 15 -Sept 14- extensive airconditioning used. How much would my 4006 kWh have cost in the DR?