URGENT help of the community needed

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I am in complete agreement that the animals that cannot be rehomed should be put down. Turning them loose is not in their best interest. Uncontrolled breeding of these animals that would be turned loose only adds to the problems. Their lives on the streets are quite often filled with disease, accidents that cause pain and they are mistreated by many they come in contact with during their rounds of trying to find enough food to stay alive. Don't believe me? Just act like you are getting ready to throw a stone and all street dogs will take off - they have learned the hard way. They spread disease to other animals and to humans or kill livestock such as chickens or goats.
It is much more responsible to humanely end their lives than turn them loose. When we lived in the DR I helped 4 street dogs a year - I caught them and either found homes for them or paid for them to be put to sleep depending on their emotional/physical condition. If everyone changed the lives of just 1 or 2 animals each year then feral dog and cat problem would be drastically reduced.
Good on you for not considering just dumping them and adding to their problems and the problems of the communities that they would be roaming around.

I agree with you - should not be a good way to turn them loose. not for the dogs - and not for the community. this dogs, although they are a big group, are used to humans. and - my experience, dogs are able to walk v ery very long distances to get back at home.
community: more free running doggies in the streets/beaches can be the reason for some people to place again poison in the streets and on the beaches - in the past we often had this desaster. while one of this "big" actions a lot of residents-doggies died.
so that we had to be afraid for walking along the beach with our dogs,p.e., how will we know really what happens.
let us be hopeful to find homes for this animals, doggies and cats.
if not, I guess to bring them to sleep forever is more human.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I guess I don't really understand why they need to be put to sleep. If you can't feed them just set them free and they will find a way to feed themselves. There are tons of viralata dogs and cats in The DR with no owners who survive on their own. I would just take 5-10 at a time and set them free in different parts of town (you do have to take them away far enough as a dog will find his way home)

Don't be rediculous!!!!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Also not everyone lives on the northcoast, some kind of online donation process might help. I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind sponsoring a dog until it's fate is found.

We made up a plan how to proceed....
1.) many cats are sick and we will separate them and try raise funds to put them asleep
2.) older dogs and the ones you called them the nutties, will be separated and put asleep
3.) the dogs are generally in good shape. We will shoot photos from the ones up to 5 years old and the Doggy house in SD - DOGGIE HOUSE will load the photos up to their web page.
4.) the money will be given to the vet to buy medication to put them asleep.

Anastacio , well if you could give us any guidance how to do an online donation process that would be very helpful.
For us it is very difficult because finding homes & trying to raise funds in just such a short time.

The only reason i am doing it, is because the animals have no voice and someone needs to speak up for them. Hoping some people will help not to make them suffer too much.....The situation they are in is so sad...

To let them roam free is no choice, because they are used to get fed and won't search for food. Also like that we would just transfer the problem...
We need to find a solution to the problem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Santa, as far as online donations, do you have a Paypal account? If you do, those who are interested in donating can do so from anywhere in the world, just ask them to PM you for your account information.

AE

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You can check with what I think is the Dominican Dept. of Agriculture that includes animals. Your Spanish should be good and you should be able to give details of the situation including that it is a clear public and animal health risk. (Have any of these animals been vaccinated? How are the corpses to be disposed of?) If reception can help you, you will need to show ID and sign in and explain again and perhaps again.

In Santo Domingo. Off of the Autopista 30 de Meyo between Calle San Juan Bautista and Av. Nunez de Cazeres is La Feria Ganadera. When you enter go to the right and then the second/last left. I think it is the 4th building on the right. I?m working from memory and Google Earth.

I don?t think that they will be interested in saving any animals if they feel that a general health risk is present. They may not be interested at all. It is about the highest you can go before the Palace.

If they go in, I suggest that you or anyone else NOT stay around.

Not something that I would like to see done but in this situation all options should be considered.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
they don't have any cent left! We started today to raise funds.
Any amount you would give will help to stop the suffering of these innocent
animals.
Take all those animals in a truck and let them free in Puerto Plata city they will find the way make their life as lot of biralatas does in DR.

JJ

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
OK, I've spoken to cliff (german butcher boneman from Sosua, I'm sure you know him). He will help you get rid of 30-40 dogs, but they will be put down in his terms of humane (back of the neck and then throat slit) but he wants paid to do it (he tells me money can't replenish the soul, but killing alot of dogs will stay with him, so..he needs beer to recoup:smoke:). Again, how much is on the distruction credit?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I got informed about the cruel handling of such a situation from that institution. Well the dogs are still healthy. Some cats are sick and are separated from the others. our focus is currently to put the sick asleep asap , continue with the older animals and in the meanwhile find homes for the younger ones. There are very pretty dogs! still not crazy...
The situation is still under control as long we can provide for food and can proceed like planed. There are Vets which help us to organize and find help, they don't charge for the work just for medication...

Ringo if you could contribute anything would be great. for example anesthesia costs 1,800 pesos and would be enough for 10 dogs...plus tranquilizer and potassium. if just some people would donate 50 dollars, these animals could put asleep with dignity.... sad but the only solution due to the quantity of animals.

You can check with what I think is the Dominican Dept. of Agriculture that includes animals. Your Spanish should be good and you should be able to give details of the situation including that it is a clear public and animal health risk. (Have any of these animals been vaccinated? How are the corpses to be disposed of?) If reception can help you, you will need to show ID and sign in and explain again and perhaps again.

In Santo Domingo. Off of the Autopista 30 de Meyo between Calle San Juan Bautista and Av. Nunez de Cazeres is La Feria Ganadera. When you enter go to the right and then the second/last left. I think it is the 4th building on the right. I?m working from memory and Google Earth.

I don?t think that they will be interested in saving any animals if they feel that a general health risk is present. They may not be interested at all. It is about the highest you can go before the Palace.

If they go in, I suggest that you or anyone else NOT stay around.

Not something that I would like to see done but in this situation all options should be considered.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As if I wasn't sad already, I have just been reduced to becoming extremely distraught by this thread .... how on earth could this terrible situation have developed in the first place??

I am so sorry for all these animals, both dogs and cats, and my heart bleeds for the people who tried to save them but failed.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As if I wasn't sad already, I have just been reduced to becoming extremely distraught by this thread .... how on earth could this terrible situation have developed in the first place??
Many folks get or are in waaaaay over their heads and don't even know it....

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Any new information on this horrible situation? My understanding is AAAS has stepped up (again) and has taken 50 of the animals and provided them a farm to live on. Any other updates would be greatly appreciated...thanks Tom

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Any new information on this horrible situation? My understanding is AAAS has stepped up (again) and has taken 50 of the animals and provided them a farm to live on. Any other updates would be greatly appreciated...thanks Tom

Hi Tom. Yes, AAAS and Judy have stepped in again. I don't know how she does it. I talked with Judy on Monday AM as she was headed back to a ranch where 50 of the dogs had been taken the day before. Setting up proper kennels, feeding, cleaning and treating them with the help of a local Vet and staff. She has not had time nor energy to give details.

Cash donations are very much needed. Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc.

Thank you.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I got informed about the cruel handling of such a situation from that institution. Well the dogs are still healthy. Some cats are sick and are separated from the others. our focus is currently to put the sick asleep asap , continue with the older animals and in the meanwhile find homes for the younger ones. There are very pretty dogs! still not crazy...
The situation is still under control as long we can provide for food and can proceed like planed. There are Vets which help us to organize and find help, they don't charge for the work just for medication...

Ringo if you could contribute anything would be great. for example anesthesia costs 1,800 pesos and would be enough for 10 dogs...plus tranquilizer and potassium. if just some people would donate 50 dollars, these animals could put asleep with dignity.... sad but the only solution due to the quantity of animals.

santa, you are obviously a very kind person and thank you for that.

I have known these people since they moved to the DR, the bought my first house. I unpacked their private plane with helpers, with all their luggage and stuff for the 260 cats they brought with them and distributed all of it within their house. We have been helping them for a while and providing them with a free guard as they have been robbed a few times.

The problem is, they are telling different stories to different people. Judy and I have liased on this. They told me many weeks ago they had found a home for all the animals in Santo Domingo and didnt want to go to Judy for help. Then Judy called me and told me they now wanted to put the animals down, but she did not have the $$$ to do this and would have to appeal to the U.S.

This is all so dreadfully sad, they are kind people to animals and took in every stray they found. We tried our very best to warn them of certain people and things that might happen and unfortunately they didnt take it and hence their dire circumstances. I took them to the supermarket only recently to buy food essentials for themselves and to give him what heart meds I could spare.

They themselves will become homeless in about another 2 weeks. Just a terrible situation and I am so sorry for them. They are now so very thin and do not look well. I think your kindness in trying to sort out the animals must be commended, but for me the most important thing would be trying to get some food donations and somewhere to live for this kind elderly couple, and some important heart meds for the man.

Maybe someone knows a house sitting situ where they could live temporarily.

Judy is really a terrific person and she really didnt need this extra stress right now, but as usual she raised to the occasion. She also needs some $$$$ donations, but has had little response.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have known these people since they moved to the DR, the bought my first house. I unpacked their private plane with helpers, with all their luggage and stuff for the 260 cats they brought with them and distributed all of it within their house. We have been helping them for a while and providing them with a free guard as they have been robbed a few times.

Their PRIVATE plane?

260 CATS?

This would be the portrait of a seriously whacked out couple, no?

(we really should start on the "portrait of an expat" series"!)

Do they not have family in their country of origin?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Their PRIVATE plane?

260 CATS?

This would be the portrait of a seriously whacked out couple, no?

(we really should start on the "portrait of an expat" series"!)

Do they not have family in their country of origin?

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that myself Annie..... How does one respond to that...????

AE

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Weird Gringos

Their PRIVATE plane? 260 CATS?

Are they not Germans?
So they flew in from Germany with all those cats?
[The transport on a private plane must have cost them a fortune. :bunny: ]
Cleared them in POP, I guess; everything is possible there.
But well, eccentric people fit in here perfectly...

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that myself Annie..... How does one respond to that...????

AE

I don't know... perhaps because they came in a private plane - everyone assumed that they were loaded with money.

Well, everyone here assumes that all foreigners are loaded with money - but plenty of them just come down with a bit of money - say they sold their house or something... and figure that they will be able to live here very cheaply.

The one thing that we can do here on this board - which I think that we do - is to advise people on the fact that it is not dirt cheap to live here and that they had better come with some financial backing.

But I would not move to a new country with ANY animals. I waited for two of my older dogs to die and found a home for the younger one before I left.

People asked me if I could not just bring them -- but I said - look the developing world is full of starving street dogs, I have no idea how mine would adapt to life in tropics (do the dogs speak Spanish, for instance?),and it is going to be hard enough for me to find housing and set myself up without limiting my options by bringing animals (HOW right I was on that one!)

I did once move with a cat to Grenada.. she turned feral - eating lizards and leaving their tails all over the house, only growling at me for food......
I left her there since she was altered and would not reproduce.

But these people - whoever they are--- should be turned over to the Embassy of their own country and sent back to where they came from.

talk about making a mess

and IMAGINE the stink in the house with all those cats???!?!?!

how did they ever find a place to live in the first place?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what ? they brought 260 cats with them- how irresponsible is that, Im speechless for once.

Time to put a limit on how many animals you can bring into the country I think