US$6 for a small bottle of water in Punta Cana airport

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Two words: airport prices
Yeah but from 15 pesos to 350 pesos is a bit of an overkill. That's more than 20x. I've never at another airport seen (I can confirm there's something similar at POP) such a high markup for any products as here in the DR. Yes, airports are generally more expensive, but it normally ranges between like 2-5x the normal price and not 20x...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
All airports are highway robbery irrespective of country. I paid US$5 for a bottle of water in MIA around the boarding gate waiting area about six months ago; probably more expensive now. I see three things that negatively affect prices in airports, logistics, rent and a captive clientele. Not much we can do really. Other than acquiring all needed items prior to arriving to the airport. Bottled water is the sole outlier. You can't simply walk past airport security with a bottle without explicitly being ask to drink or depose it. Quite the predicament for a cheapy like me. Gasp.
The cost to build, maintain, and service airports is through the roof. The owners of the airports want to quickly recoup investment costs. They lease concessions areas to whoever is willing to pay the high costs. The concessionaires will charge high prices for the products or services they provide to cover their rents, sales commissions to airport, overhead costs, service/supply costs, and wages, to make a fair profit. Because the concessionaires clientele are a captive audience at the airport the concessionaires charge whatever the market will bear.

So, plan ahead if you want water at the airport.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: NotLurking

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I know an American I know who visits here from time to time can't get get his head around the value of currency here and calls it "Monopoly money".
He should go to Colombia. Everyone is a millionaire in Colombian Pesos. lol

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
He should go to Colombia. Everyone is a millionaire in Colombian Pesos. lol
Made close to 3 million playing poker the night before my return trip home. Wound up a millionaire for close to a year before returning to Colombia.

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Update. I was at PUJ last night and Wendy's have water for $3 a bottle. A small presidente is RD$420 and a Wendy's combo is US$14.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Update. I was at PUJ last night and Wendy's have water for $3 a bottle. A small presidente is RD$420 and a Wendy's combo is US$14.
A Wendy's combo at PC Village starts at 350 rd for a single. About $6.35 . This is 3 minutes from the Airport.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How about going to the Duty Free store in any DR airport and paying Double or Triple for a bottle of Dominican Rum then you would pay in any supermarket?
lot of people fooled by the "duty free".
I cannot recall ever seeing a public water fountain in the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A couple months ago a friend of mine with his wife and two kids all had hamburger combos at POP. He said the bill came to almost $100. He was stunned.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sure, I would drink from a water fountain in the D.R. 🤢 RIP.
The idea that drinking from a water fountain is unsafe is unfounded. On some of them the water pressure is so low that people put their mouths on the spigot. I do avoid those.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Prices at airports never surprise me. I go in knowing I am going to pay 2x - 3x more. But that doesn't mean I do not walk away without saying "sh*t I can't believe I just paid that much".

Reactions: AlaPlaya
Jan 9, 2004
A rumored trick is to freeze the water in the bottle and insulate it before arriving at the airport. There is no injunction for ice.

Regards,

PJT
That is an old road warrior workaround.

Those that fly frequently are generally met with exorbitant airport pricing on everything.

First, the road warriors pioneered the use of bringing an empty water bottle into the airport and filling it from a water fountain. As the pandemic hit and water fountains were taken down or rendered inoperative, they resorted to an old trick of bringing in frozen bottles of water to circumvent the "prohibited liquid" ban.

Adding to your useful information, for travelers seeking to avoid further exorbitant airport charges, many buy a small soft-sided cooler and buy their favorite sandwiches etc., to pack inside their carryon luggage.................and to keep everything cool for long flights with multiple plane changes.................frozen water bottles to keep everything cool and eventually provide refreshment.

One caveat, food does not work well if flying into the US (Customs prohibitions)..................but coming into the DR....................I have brought in numerous "gotta haves" for people using the soft sided cooler/frozen water bottle method.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
lot of people fooled by the "duty free".
I cannot recall ever seeing a public water fountain in the DR.
Then one is found and can't get excited yet, you have to press the button to see if water actually comes out. lol

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Next time take an empty bottle with you then fill it up in one of the water fountain after you go through immigration.

JJ

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I bought 2 Wendy's meals on Tuesday at PUJ. Last year the same 2 meals where $15.00 USD for both. This year 25.00. That's almost a 70% increase.
I call it corporate greed.