US tourists will be tested at their hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
We (Canadians) have been dealing with the hell of self isolation suggested by the federal and provincial governments at the beginning of the pandemic and lately, federally enforced isolation required if your returning from a foreign country. Even if you test negative you are still required to isolate.

Forced isolation in Canada gives you two choices. A choice of an all expense paid one at a government designated facility or one at your residence if you can prove you can isolate effectively at home. Will US travellers have the same option?

Alberta has the shortest program for isolation. A test when you arrive back in the country. If negative you isolate for seven days. After that you test again. If negative your isolation is over. Something like this might be easier for the new administration to sell to many states.

All provinces are on board with the Federal isolation requirements. Enforcement is done by the provinces. The federal emergency decree was done with minimal pushback from the provinces. Political division in the US is still strong. It’s very likely some states will push back hard through the courts and US isolation requirements could be a patchwork similar to mask wearing requirements.

Given the large percentage of US citizens strong resistance to something as simple as wearing a mask, I can’t even begin to imagine how the new federal isolation decree is going to be administered and enforced in the US. I certainly can’t see the US federal government giving you the option of isolating at home or in a government designated facility. It’s a logistical nightmare in Canada. More so in the US with more than ten times the population.

US citizens are about to get a bitter taste of Big Brother in their mouths. The same bitter taste we Canadians have been dealing with since the pandemic began.

The new US administration is emulating aspects of our pandemic response but ignoring the fact that the virus is still spreading faster now in Canada despite our best efforts.

Welcome to another level of Covid hell neighbours.
The US doesn't have the mechanism to enforce the quarantine requirement like Canada does...it's also written a little loose-y goose-y ("[t]o the extent feasible...comply with ... CDC guidelines ... including self-quarantining"). And contact tracing in most States is non-existent. So if they can't even contact trace, who is going to police a quarantine requirement?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The US doesn't have the mechanism to enforce the quarantine requirement like Canada does...it's also written a little loose-y goose-y ("[t]o the extent feasible...comply with ... CDC guidelines ... including self-quarantining"). And contact tracing in most States is non-existent. So if they can't even contact trace, who is going to police a quarantine requirement?

The new US administration appears to have the political will to implement better contact tracing along with other measures. I’d be curious to see if a Covid Infection tracking app is going to be part of that. It was a hard sell in Canada but millions of Canadians eventually downloaded the app. US citizens may not be as willing to download a Big Brother tracking app.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You sure about travelling between states? They are in one state or another. That would be that state's call.
You may be right, he (Biden) may be crazy to think he can force people to wear masks during interstate travel.
That may require litigation. However planes, trains and buses may be able to force people to wear masks rendering the point moot.

How the testing/quarantine/masks work out will take some time to sort through.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a similarity to RD here....

Some are challenging the validity of a fine... breaking curfew
This not a 'Law'..... it's a health directive....not punishable by a fine

USA might be facing the same problem
Here in the DR, there is vote for a State of Emergency. I is my understanding that during those 45 day state of emergency periods the power of the President is virtually limitless. Good luck with turning over those fines as illegal.

I am not aware of any such all encompassing state of emergency for the Federal government in the US that conveys the same power to a US President, although others have implied some acts can be invoked for similar power to override states rights.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The new US administration appears to have the political will to implement better contact tracing along with other measures. I’d be curious to see if a Covid Infection tracking app is going to be part of that. It was a hard sell in Canada but millions of Canadians eventually downloaded the app. US citizens may not be as willing to download a Big Brother tracking app.
Good luck with that for the reason you mentioned and once again, we are in the state's rights area. The US does not have a national ID to be able to track people in that manner.

Jan 9, 2004
Here in the DR, there is vote for a State of Emergency. I is my understanding that during those 45 day state of emergency periods the power of the President is virtually limitless. Good luck with turning over those fines as illegal.

I am not aware of any such all encompassing state of emergency for the Federal government in the US that conveys the same power to a US President, although others have implied some acts can be invoked for similar power to override states rights.
National Emergencies Act 1976................and that act actually more specifically defined the broad powers of a president during a declared national emergency and the ways Congress could curtail them............but know they are extremely broad...........as long as a national emergency exists.

Those who are strong states rights proponents do not like such broad powers given to the president............but they exist. It is how the prior administration was able to build the new sections of border wall and the new incoming administration could rescind terminate it.

In the DR a state of emergency must be voted on by the legislators before it can be enacted...................not so in the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Good luck with that for the reason you mentioned and once again, we are in the state's rights area. The US does not have a national ID to be able to track people in that manner.

Windy. The premier of Ontario swears the infection tracking app is an effective tool.

The Federal-Provincial relationship
is not the same as the Federal-States relationship. The provinces are highly dependent on Federal funding and transfer payments for their major social programs such as medical services and education. They tend to tow the Federal line to ensure their funding is adequate.

The States are less dependent on the Federal government for funding and tend to be more territorial. They can afford to take that approach.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I can completely believe this. I wouldn't be surprised if the hotels had to pay for the tests as well

Yes, exactly this. The tourists who go to AI's want it easy, they don't want to think about being tested. And the requirement to quarantine will have a big impafct. This will be the final blow to a lot of the AI's in my opinion.
yes, The AI clientele need to get back the States to stock shelves and hang drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.