US Veterans

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
asopao said:
ex-WAVE? please elaborate here
I think she means she was a woman in the US Navy. The term used to refer to the women's reserve of the U.S. Navy during World War II. It's an acronym for "Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service".

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Cris Colon",Retired US Navy Corpsman

I was told that the US embassy here recieves over 6,500 retirement checks for veterans every month.That doesn't include those like me who have "Direct Deposit" in the USA! Sounds like we could have a "VFW",or at least an "American Legion Post" here in Santo Domingo.I know they have in the Philipines!
Maybe if we just set a time,and a place,and see who shows up???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I joined the Navy to "ride" the "WAVES"!

How about a "BAM"?????

Last edited:
L

LarrySpencer

Ricardo900 said:
haha, those Iraqis will confirm that the Air Force is military:laugh: :laugh:

Is Coast Guard military??

I think some of the drug dealers would day that the Coast Guard is military, but the cubans whould just call them los salvadores de la mar.

L

LarrySpencer

JonyBetty said:
Larry,

I think your idea is right on target. After reading these post for some time, it would be great to get a perspective from those members that are military. Those of us that have spent time in the military, are without a question, able to adapt to new cultures, poverty and things that they may encounter in the DR. I have read so many post stating that I would need a certain amount of money to sustain a certain level of livelihood. I will let everyone know that the biggest reason I want to retire to the Dr is to RELAX...no stress etc. After 20 years in the military, I know that I am frazzeled. I am not saying that I want to live in a "casa de palma" with a dirt floor, but more along the lines of " I'm just not going to worry about things anymore". Larry keep this idea going. We need a group that can help each other out...and something to have beers over because we all have something in common.

Jon

Hey, what's so bad about living in a casa de palma con una pisa tierra? Just kidding, but it's not far from it...la renta es sobre $75 por mes...2000 RD, running water, water storage tank, bars on doors and windows, alarm system, full bath with shower...all indoors...and all the electricity you can use for 5 or 6 hours a day, and the most beautiful dominican woman by my side, mi media naranja...Now that's living! Yes, Platano and yucca are my best friends!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
count me in...live in sd and have a casa de palma con una pisa cemento in el limon also..
21 years in airforce....living a great life here in the DR and just love it.Most of my friends are Dominican,you can't find nicer people...
we do need a VFW here....let's keep working at it ..
by the way,my checks go direct deposit to bank here in the DR..

bob

L

LarrySpencer

JDJones said:
I was a Coastie! 1970 - 1974 Boatswains Mate Same as Larry, jack of all trades...

JD, you're killing me...saying the whole "Same as Larry" thing within four words of saying that you were in the Coast Guard! Yeah, yeah, I got it...jack of all trades...

If you need a jet engine fixed...call me, generator - small and large...call me, air conditioners that are as big as a house...call me, heaters, air compressors, anything with buttons or wires, hydrolics, pneumatics, electronics, and occassionally a little sheetrock work after parking the bomblift in just a little too far...I'm your guy!

L

LarrySpencer

Do, if we live in the DR but still belong to a veterans group, would that make us ex-pats, or still patriots who used to live in the US?

I'm going to start really working on this tomorrow. Was a little tied up today.

Got a wedding planned in Dajabon on 17 December at 5:00 at the great big church on Calle Duarte for anyone who is interested - yes, I know, I'm already married! This is for her family and friends benefit, as well as the church's.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
LarrySpencer said:
Do, if we live in the DR but still belong to a veterans group, would that make us ex-pats, or still patriots who used to live in the US?

Ex-patriate is not the opposite of patriot; it is common to be both. There was an earlier thread that addressed this. ;)

Swede

GDiaz

Sep 26, 2005
Larry, I whole Hardedly agree with you that there should be some type of program or "group" in the DR. I, myself served 8 yrs as a weapons troop in the airforce and the only memories I have are of working in Saudi Arabia a majority of the time. My family and I are moving to the DR within a couple of months and from my experience, military is family and we take care of our own. Retired, seperated, active or guard/reserve... we need someone to help when in need and to have a bit of commonality.

I am currently a lifetime member of the VFW. I guess you could say that my Grandfather (Now passed away), with his 32 yrs of dedicated service in the Army inspired the patriotism within me. Let me know if there is any info you need from here and I will help with you effort.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Hey, you Vets in Santiago--

PM me as to your name and phone # and I'll get back with you.
I live out toward Tamboril at #21 Residencial Laurite, just beyound Alpha Plaza on 27 de Febrero. Drop by gor a cup of coffee and a chat!

Texas Bill

PS
And I think a DR chapter of Vets is workable and needed.

L

LarrySpencer

Well, really I was thinking more of the North Coast, since that's where I will be living, but it really doesn't mean that we can't have two, right?

Besides, in my book, that doubles our chances of sitting around drinking beer and telling Air stories.

L

LarrySpencer

Bored

You know what, that was exactly my plan...be bored out of my mind by not getting all greased up anymore and drinking beers!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thanks, Rick Snyder---

It is notifications such as this one which will alleviate many future problems for Veterans. Especially those who have reached an advanced age and may not understand the impact such a scam would have on their limited resources.

I hope some ex-Special Forces or Navy Seals get hold of these b******* and give them what they deserve. The Law Enforcement Agencies just don't have the resources to ferret out all such as this.

Thanks, again, Rick!

Texas Bill

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Ricardo900 said:
haha, those Iraqis will confirm that the Air Force is military:laugh: :laugh:

Hell yeah we're military, just ask the 820th SFS Ranger Company down in Moody AFB or a Combat Controller guy or a Pararescue (PJ), the old Jolly Greens that saved thousands of people in Vietnam and anywhere else....... the stuff that my Security Forces buddies were and still are doing in Iraq was definitely outside of the scope of their mission according to the Army but they would drag 'em and tag 'em. The guys would kick down the doors and the Army just stood watching outside of the buildings or houses while the AF cops would come out with a few Iraqis at a time. It got bloody but whatever.....at least they came out alive.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Having a group of former US military guys to get together with occasionally would be great. Great network to have established.

Anyone want to call for a happy hour so we can get acquainted? There are enough of us in the Capital to have one. The north coast I am sure could also have one.

Scandall

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Ahhhhhhhhh............... One of the greater problems of being way out here in the middle of nowheres !!!!!

Rick