US Veterans

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I'm located in El Seybo which is in the mountains mid way between San Pedro and Higuey. Let me tell you that is in the middle of ???????? Ha-ha.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
When I was on active duty, USAF-1961 to 1965, there used to be a saying that went something like this:
The Army does the work and the Marines get the credit, the Navy gets the pay and the Air Force just stays home and parties!

Any of you guys out Las Galeras way, stop in and I'll buy you a beer.

L

LarrySpencer

l_th said:
I'm not in the US military but since there a lot of you..

how bout some war/experience stories.

Sorry, fresh out of those...Try Time Life Books, I hear there are some pretty good ones in there...with pictures and everything.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Most of us don't relish-----

reliving the hell of wartime experiences.

Bad dreams, you know.

For some good vicarious living I recommend reading W.E.B. Griffin or the like.
He gets pretty good with the gore and stuff.
Also a good insight of the mindset of troops.

Texas Bill

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
US Army retired, still living in Houston, TX and waiting to move to my beloved
DR, i hope this idea get off the ground, it those sound pretty good to have a
VFW in DR.

L

LarrySpencer

Tony Cabrera said:
US Army retired, still living in Houston, TX and waiting to move to my beloved
DR, i hope this idea get off the ground, it those sound pretty good to have a
VFW in DR.

I don't think we'll necessarily go the direction of the VFW, mainly because it wil exclude those who have never served during time of battle. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Veterans Assistance Association.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Along those lines----

I have downloaded quite a few forms, references to same, and other info leads onto my old computer. Will transfer over to this one when i find out how to use the file transfer program. then, at least we'll have someting to go on to advise and assist Veterans and survivors with.

Also have the same stuff on Social Security bennies.

I just been lazy in posting that, is all.

Forms and stuff are in PDF format, so they can be sent as attachments to email inquiries.

Texas Bill

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
LarrySpencer said:
I don't think we'll necessarily go the direction of the VFW, mainly because it wil exclude those who have never served during time of battle. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Veterans Assistance Association.

Larry, you are right, i don't know what i waqs thinking, that saound better
VAA
take care
tony

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "American Legion" Takes All Veterans I Believe.

Not just those who were "Overseas" during the "War". I will search the net.There could be some advantages to being an "American Legion Post",as oppossed to just a group of "Vets" who drink beer together."Strength In Numbers" and all that! Cris colon

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes

Criss Colon said:
Not just those who were "Overseas" during the "War". I will search the net.There could be some advantages to being an "American Legion Post",as oppossed to just a group of "Vets" who drink beer together."Strength In Numbers" and all that! Cris colon

American Legion is open to all service member's not just
Veterans of Foreign War's. Although the beer drinking is a great idea.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have E-Mailed The American Legion.

I have asked for some info about starting a "Post" here in the DR.Their website is <americanlegion.org> if you want to do some research.They have 3 million members,women and men!I will keep you informed.I know at least two Veterans who are about to have a beer/dinner together at "Manolo's rest. on Ave.Independencia behind the Hotel Jaragua (4 pm!)

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

L

LarrySpencer

My vision for this is not really be a place, such as a Moose Lodge or a place where old soldiers can come, drink beer, talk about the good old days, etc.

What I envision is more of a Resource Center, with the mission of assisting vererans, their dependents and survivors in obtaining Federal and State (National Guard) benefits a place where a veteran can call, where forms may be filled out to apply for various benefits, where questions may be answered, where we can take over the Embassy's role in mortuary affairs - of which they do very little. We may even be able to put together a several small honor guards to performing funerals, weddings, and maybe even taking part in the Carnivals throughout the nation.

I would like to see the office assist with:
Compensation for service related disabilities
Pension for veterans with non-service connected disabilities
Education benefits and vocational rehabilitation (application and information)
Medical treatment at VA Medical Centers (application and information) and transportation arrangements back to the States for treatment
Home loan benefits (application for certificate of eligibility and program information)
Government Life Insurance
Burial benefits
Pension for non-service related deaths
Proceeds of government life insurance
Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)
Medical benefits

We can provide information and referral for :

Agent Orange programs
Alcoholism and drug treatment programs
Veterans home loans
Hospital care
Outpatient medical and dental care
Small Business Administration programs
Employment and job search resources

In addition to providing benefits for ourselves, I would like to arrange ways that we may help the dominicans, our new paisanos, through volunteer efforts, food banks, etc.

I'm thinking rather than the original name, we may also look at DRVA DR Veteran Affairs office.

L

LarrySpencer

We are still searching for veterans to join us in our efforts to create a unified Dominican office for Veterans Affairs. If you are a veteran, please apply.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Larry I'm available way out here in El Seybo if there is anything you may think I can do to help to get this idea off the ground and operating.

Rick