vaca in DR

jimh7

Dec 4, 2002
I'm planning a vacation to DR in a couple of months. I would like advice on what area of DR is best for single guys....Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, La Romana, etc.... Would prefer area with nice beaches and calm water, and has plenty of girls at night, or atleast close by. Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Boca Chica

has what you want, assuming girls you mean girls you pay for sex. Lots and lots there. Nice college girls you woo and romance and make passionate love to (for free) and then go home, nope, none of those. Maybe 2 or 3.

For girls in discos and such things: you'd want to be in the capital but it hasn't any beaches and such, it is a big city but more cosmopolitan nightlife.

By the way I hope you speak Spanish if you want to pick up and converse with these girls as they have NO English.

I ask because "vaca" per your message title, means "cow".

jimh7

Dec 4, 2002
Thanks for the tip. I live in Tijuana, MX, so I'm bored of the "rent-a-girl". If I wanted that, I'd just stay home. I can speak spanish, so local girls are fine. I just didn't want to end up in some resort 30 miles away from civilization/local people. The perfect area would have nice beaches, some local clubs, and reasonably close golf.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Try Juan Dolio.....Has a golf course, nice beaches, lots of girls for hire
..and a few for free....
local clubs can be found in the area or a short drive away in San Pedro, Boca Chica or of course in the capitol of Santo Domingo!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Don't Cross Post in 3 Forums

People here generally view new posts and all 3 of yours are the same. And Trip Reports would be most welcome when you 've done one.

For beaches you have Boca Chica and Juan Dolio and La Romana on the south side and then of course on the north shore Puerto Plata and Sosua.

I haven't been to the north, others may opine on it as being suitable for nightlife.

I assume you don't want All-Inclusive? If so then Punta Cana may be the best bet since that is all they really hve there.

Still for serous disco action you may want to stay in Boca Chica , but get a car and go into Santo Domingo for large city, disco/nightlife action since it is really the place. About 45 minutes by car. Boca Chica is a good way station with the beach to sleep and relax etc., in the daytime.

You can also hire a car and driver for 3 hours plus the round trip for RD$700 from BC to SD. Plus I think RD$150 and hour waiting beyond 3 hours. So $35US plus $7.50 an hour and you don't have to drive. Plus the city is not the easiest to navigate and a rental car would cost more.

Try www.bocachicabeach.net for a look at it.

If you still want vacas then the interior but I bet they have cows in TJ, too.

jimh7

Dec 4, 2002
Sorry bout' the "cross-posts", I'm new to this forum. I figured I would cover as many bases as possible. Anyhow, thanks again for the extensive info.. ..P.S. plenty of vacas here in TJ, as well as pollitos..

jimh7

Dec 4, 2002
Rick, thats a pretty cool site. One more question: do you have any preferneces on Hotels there? Do you know anything about Hamaca or Don Juan?

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Jimh7,
We?ve stayed at the Don Juan in Boca Chica in January 2001. It?s a great place for snorkeling and is in a good location for the local nightlife. The Jon Juan resort offered a free shuttle to Santo Domingo. It would drop you off near the old colonial city and pick you up later. I don?t know if the shuttle service is still being offered. We had a great time! I?m sure you would enjoy it as well.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Opinion: PHHHHHHHHHHHHHT!

jimh7 said:
Rick, thats a pretty cool site. One more question: do you have any preferneces on Hotels there? Do you know anything about Hamaca or Don Juan?

Hamaca is the better of two touristy all inclusive hotels (meals, drinks etc.) with no locals permitted inside. From Canada or USA they are cheap as packages, as hotel only I think they are quite costly if not a tour package.

Plus I think AI's are for gringos, not guys living in TJ.

Do yourself a favour as a Spanish speaker, looking to meet people, and I assume not Americans, Canadians, British, etc., stay in one of the hotels shown at the bocachicabeach site - and not all inclusive - e.g. Costalunga, Europa, El Candil, Garant.

Also, if you meet a (non pay for play or a workin girl, whatever floats your boat) girl you have to pay a king's ransom to let her into Hamaca or DJ (to eat, sleep etc.) vs. zero at these other hotels, all of which are very good tourist quality places at 1/2 the cost.

jimh7

Dec 4, 2002
Thanks, guys. Good information. I've decided to saty at a non-AI hotel in Boca Chica. However, the hotel maps are deceiving, as I can't really tell which hotels are actually ON the beach. Does anyone know which hotels are truly on the beach and have restaurants on the property? We're gettin close!!!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The Europa is close

jimh7 said:
Thanks, guys. Good information. I've decided to saty at a non-AI hotel in Boca Chica. However, the hotel maps are deceiving, as I can't really tell which hotels are actually ON the beach. Does anyone know which hotels are truly on the beach and have restaurants on the property? We're gettin close!!!

Robert is right on, 2 are AI ( Don J and Hamaca) and Zapata is quite family oriented but is on the beach (no pool).

Europa is very close to the beach , no idea about food, I don't think so.

Once away from the beach ( e.g. you don't want Zapata) then Costalunga is the best, then in no particular order, really, are El Candil, Calypso, and Garant.

jimh7

Dec 4, 2002
Once again, gracias a todos for all the help. I've been reading review, after review, and it seems the Europa is the place to be. Close to both the beach, and the nightlife. Great price too.

Any other "must see, or do's" in Boca Chica would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty more to ask before I actually leave.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
One caveat

jimh7 said:
Once again, gracias a todos for all the help. I've been reading review, after review, and it seems the Europa is the place to be. Close to both the beach, and the nightlife. Great price too.

Any other "must see, or do's" in Boca Chica would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty more to ask before I actually leave.

Europa tends to want to have a deposit by western Union which is not particularly inexpensive and apart from peak times like Xmas, Semana Santa and August availability is unlikely to be a big deal and wiring ahead limits choice if you do not like it.

It is probably a lot noisier than the non beach hotels mentioned though the rooms facing the water could be quieter the ones facing the side stret or Duarte would be loud.

Last edited:

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: The Europa is close

ricktoronto said:
Europa is very close to the beach , no idea about food, I don't think so.

We spent a couple of nights at the Europa last April. It is about 1 block to the beach; about 1 block from an Internet Cafe (RD $50/hr).

They served a continental breakfast but no further meals. Had a room facing Duarte and it was indeed a little noisy. We slept like babies anyway!

Swede