vacation in punta cana

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have heard this from many Dominicans. "Where are you at" ? "In the Dominican". "Donde va"? "Pa Dominicana". Not too long ago I was flying back to Santo Domingo and I was in the Airline Club Lounge. A gentlemen sitting near me struck up a conversation. I recognized the man, he is a member of a rather wealthy family and I have seen him in news several times. He asked me where I was heading to and I said back home to Santo Domingo and his reply was " oh how beautiful, you live in my country the Dominican." I have heard the Dominican Republic being referred to "the Dominican" by the poor, the rich, etc....Right or wrong.

The vast majority of Dominicans that I know call the whole country Santo Domingo, until I correct them a few hundred times.

here we go again, wish people would be so quick to answer the actual question asked :rolleyes:

Most Dominicans that I've run into that don't speak English call this Island Santo Domingo. But that's just my experience :)

Mr. AE calls this country Santo Domingo all the time. I have never heard him call it anything else. When he says someone is from Santo Domingo, I have to specifically ask if he means the country or the city [assuming I even care at that particular moment :laugh: ].

I've heard his brothers and many others call the country "The Dominican". It grates on me, but I just ignore it. Dominicana sounds better to my ears.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Santo Domingo and DR are the only two I have heard from Dominicans. But who cares ? LOL

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Dominicans also call it La Republica amongst each other. I've called it as such many times.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The U.S.A. ,,,, the U.S. ,,,, the United States ,,,, The United States of America ,,, The States ,,,, America ,,,,,I think they all reference the same place.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
If you take the word Canada and add "in" at the end the word and the meaning of the word totally changes. The word CANADA is a noun and will ALWAYS be used as a noun no matter what, but the word Canadian can be used as a noun or a word to describe a noun. The Canadian woman NOUN, Canadian wine Adjective.

Canada/ Canadian are two DIFFERENT words with different meaning and everyone with some education understand this.

The Dominican Republic / Dominican LOOKS very similar compared to Cuba/ Cuban by adding JUST ONE letter it totally changes the meaning of the word. The word Dominican in the English language cannot be distinguished just by adding or removing letters to change the meaning like the words Mexico and Mexican.
Dominican Republic is in of itself describing what kind of republic it is, it is a DOMINICAN Republic, correct word use

How the word "Dominican" is USED in a ENGLISH sentence serves the only way the word can be distinguished.

I ate "Dominican" soup the sentence CLEARY shows how the word Dominican is being used. If you ate Dominican Soup, good for you, that is correct

I married my "Dominican" boyfriend last year once again the word Dominican is clearly being used to DESCRIBE!!!! yep used correctly, congradulations you got the idea

I VACTIONED last year in The "Dominican" No you did not!

You see how each sentence in the ENGLISH language use the word Dominican is three different ways and none are used incorrectly. Yes it would be very simple if the DR did not use the " Dominican" in its official name. Puerto Rico and Puerto Rican are two different words just because of the 'A and N" being added to the end of Rico.

Look at this the official name for France is the "French Republic" Hmmm!!! almost similar to Dominican Republic but
FRENCH and FRANCE are two different words. again, yes it is reference to a FRENCH
Republic, very good yes just like the DOMINICAN Republic

BTW if the DR is NO LONGER a "Republic" will it STILL and always be the Dominican Republic??? What if I became a KING!!! in DR and changed it to " The Kingdom of Dominican" what will you call it since the official name has CHANGED!!!
if you became King, you would then be known as a Dominican King of the
Dominican Kingdom it might also be known as the Kingdom of Dominicans, but the Kingdom of Dominican WHAT?

And any Dominican whom refers to the DR as the Dominican, only does so out of learning incorrectly from some
lame brain english speaker too lazy or without enough respect for this country itself to correctly refer to it as the
Dominican Republic or respectfyully abreviated as the D.R.

This half of the island is indeed Domincan, but the country is NOT the Domincan and thats that weather you like it or not, it is not correct, no matter how you try to twist and snarl it...............

and if my some chance you became king, The proud DOMINICAN people of the Dominican Republic would revolt and
feed your lame ass to their domincan HOGS

g'luck

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
You guys REALLY need to get a life!!! LOL.. Of course, I have no room to talk, I just wasted 14 minutes reading this crap.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Being in the Dominican must be much more interesting than what I have experienced so far. This bastard never allowed me in. maldito Dominicano ! :laugh:

What was the OP's question ? :nervous:

Last edited:

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
So any Dominican Person who does not know Spanish correctly can be blamed on an English speaker teaching them wrong? Talk about Jingoism!!

No not saying or implying any such thing, only suggesting a reasonable explanation, as why a native Dominican
speaking English May have learned such grammer.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
No not saying or implying any such thing, only suggesting a reasonable explanation, as why a native Dominican
speaking English May have learned such grammer.

While you're at it, you might want to check yours, it's grammar.

(A native Dominican)