Vegetables/Fruit Gardens on North Coast

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Veggies

Chris:

Thanks for the info. The next time we come to Sousa, we'll try the back way over the loma (?).

We love to eat also. That is why we do so much weight training! We have vegetable trucks that come through our neighborhood several times during the day. If you can catch an early one, the goods are still fresh, but by the afternoon they tend to be a bit droopy.

Let us know how your herbs turn out. I have seen the small packages at National. A little pricey, but fresh. Bought some basil the other day and it was pretty good.

Dianne

sami

Aug 7, 2003
I have seen them growing here.......and sometimes in Playero. They are not , however in abundance

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Beans & Bugs

Well, my beans have come and gone. Didn't do too much. Had enough for dinner about four times and that was it. Bugs got the rest of them. I also think it was just too hot, should have waited until the weather cooled down a little.

Gave all my other seeds to a friend who has a big garden and he has just now planted them. Sweet corn, yellow squash, melons, tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine, a few herbs, etc. Sure hope he can get a better crop than I did. If they do work, I'll keep him supplied with seeds. I still try to make do with what I can find for our southern meals. Sometimes, you just need comfort food.

I can't keep the roof top boxes due to a really bad water problem. They have to come down. Bummer. The rest of our yard is all concrete except for a few small beds here and there. Tried the pot route. Like I said earlier, all I got was a bumper crop of weeds and 3 scraggly basil plants. Guess my green thumb is tinged in black!

Maybe we should identify a few farmers in different areas and have them grow vegetables for a DR1 co-op. I also thought about trying to bring in some really good meats. Got a friend, in Florida, who is a distributor. He deals in choice and prime beef, pork and lamb. If enough people are interested, maybe we could get some type of co-op going.

Dianne

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
We have considered writing a "Guide to shopping for odd ingredients" in our site. I think it is high time we do that.

There are things that will not be available here unless imported, either fresh or frozen, because they are either impossible to grow/produce here or because there isn't much of a market; but at least in Sto. Dgo. if you know where to look you can find pretty much everything.

Good meat is in no shortage here, I can even buy great cuts at walking distance from home. Supermercado nacional carries a great variety of good-looking vegetables, fruits and herbs. Other things I get in markets, or I tell my mom to get it for me since some things don't make it into Sto. Dgo. but are easy to find in "los pueblos".

I never felt constrained here. Sure we need a good Thai restaurant, and if we are too lucky even a good Indian and at least an OK Greek restaurant, but when the bug bits me I am able to prepare a good Thai meal armed with a great website that I found, a book of traditional Thai recipes that I have and a few gallons of gas to chase around the ingredients.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Pib said:
We have considered writing a "Guide to shopping for odd ingredients" in our site. I think it is high time we do that.

Good meat is in no shortage here, .

great idea Pib
please tell me where I can get fresh lamb and veal.

Frozen lamb is possible , veal I have never found in any form frozen or fresh.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Dianne, Pib and others here.

What I miss most of all from the States is a good Corned Beef and Cabbage meal, but haven't been able to find the Corned Beef anyplace. I asked at Nacional in Santiago and they would not special order a box of it for me. Maybe Price Smart will. In addition, I would love to find a source for good ole Southern Yams(Sweet Potatos). The local variety aren't cured and don't have the flavor I'm accustomed to. Haven't seen any Turnips, Rutabagas, Yellow Squash, Field Peas, or the like.
Any suggestions???
Need a source of seeds for above veggies.
Also, where can I find Idaho Potatos? The Criolla type doesn't fit the bill for baking or for soups. I like the Idahos because the add thichening to the soups that I make and are best for making mashed potatos since they cream up better than the white/criollas.
Anyone have them and part with a start?

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Fresh Lamb??

Paul,
You know that I know!!!!!
First buy a sheep, tie it up. Then get a ram, tie it up nearby. Turn your back .... and ...... wham, bang, thankyou Maaaaaaam!!
BUT ............ in your case the gardener will probably take it swimming on a long piece of rope and drown it! And then we'll have to eat the other one???????
Poor old (yummeeeeeeee) Lambi!!!!
Peter

PS: When can I get my wellington boots back???

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Corned Beef

Texas Bill,
Don't ever ask a Brit for Corned Beef - you'll get a tin of spam like beef from Brazil or Argentina!!!
Ask Frank the owner of Jose O'Shays on Cabarete beach - he imports American style corned beef and serves exactly what you're looking for. (At the inflated tourist price of course)!
Peter

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Bill
I'm bringing some seeds for you although there is only a limited assortment available here now. Few types of peas, squash, couple tomato varieties and a can or two of corned beef hash.

Last edited:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
fresh lamb.

Yes Peter
Raising my own lamb .I am finished with that its too much work.
Hope PIB can direct me to the right spot to buy
fresh lamb and veal.
Should not be to hard.
The animals are here , just a point of slaughtering at the right moment.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
[... but when the bug bits me I am able to prepare a good Thai meal armed with a great website that I found, a book of traditional Thai recipes that I have and a few gallons of gas to chase around the ingredients. [/B]

Damn! Pib, goddess, I was going to pm you with my sorry news. Now I feel even worse. :(

I brought that Thai green curry all the way from Canada, then forgot to leave it with Bushbaby to hand over during the Thanksgiving bash.

The forgetfulness occurred at the last possible moment before travel began, so I had no time to arrange a last-minute handover somewhere in SD.

Will try again in January. So sorry.

btw, I certainly love the idea of a hard-to-find grocery list. Yay to that one.
---

About the garden coop... I am very interested in discussing the idea more. I had spoken to someone about renting a small plot of land, and sharing the yield with the owner... 'for the land'. I believe that is how it's done. But perhaps a co-op would be wiser.

I'm most interested in all the garden veggies, especially lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc.

I don't yet understand if the soil itself creates the bacteria problems that make it necessary for disinfecting the veggies before eating, or if it's a matter of the soil being contaminated by the water used for watering.

Also, I had thought it might be possible to use netting to protect small plots (ie for celery, and other plants most affected by bugs). Is that silly? Impossible?

Have no idea if I have a green thumb, never tried it. But for the garden veggies, worth a try. :) D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey Dawnwil - I prepared a killer meal with the Green curry that you so kindly brought my way - looks like Pib lost out this round - but we all understand, some you win, some you lose. This meal that I made was really good. My husband brought some 'hot' puppodums (never know how to spell it) and we added these to a traditional thai curry with chicken. First time I made the puppodoms out of a packet and they were great.... Somehow a mix between all 'hot' food cultures and everyone loved it. Your green curry with my chicken was a hit. (Stay down AZB!, we were not trying for authentic, we were simply trying for some different eastern tastes and smells! - the rice was authentic jasmin!)

See you when you come down next time Dawn! Pib, add Sharwoods Indian Spiced Puppodoms to the hard to get list! They are really really good! (Down AZB!)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Pete&Alex and AlaninDR;

Thank you both for the eating site and offer of foodstuffs. I'm eternally grateful.
If I could find a decent Briskett and the spices I'd make my own Corned Beef. Don;t know where to get the Pickling Spices for the Beef, however. Guess I'll have to order from the States and pay the outlandish prices for same plus shipping.

See you all in Sosua for Thanksgiving.

Texas Bill

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hey Chris, good news to know the green curry added some spice to your day. :) I use the recipe on the jar, but saute green & red pepper strips and zucchini with fresh basil as an additionto the original recipe. It ends up tasting exactly like the pad thai curry I liked most at my favorite place in Ottawa. And of course... jasmine rice. :)

oh... the spelling is: pappadam. I agree, they are yummy! Sharwood's curries are good too, a popular brand in Canada, though they're made in Britain.

Sorry Pib! I had brought 3 jars of the stuff. If it helps, yours ended up in a good place ... my last day was in Santo Domingo... was there for immigration paperwork, and I attended a great party that evening. Met the President of the Senate and his wife, very nice people! And most enjoyable to palaver on immigration issues with such a group. The infamous curry is making its rounds. hee, before you know it, it will be on every home menu.

aha! that's my new plan. Inundate the country with the stuff. :)

D

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I'd kill for some Turnips and Greens, Blackeyed Peas w/Ham Hock, GOOD cornbread (the cornmeal I get in Manzanillo isn't the right grind), mashed potatos and milk gravy and Southern Style Fried Chicken (crispy). I'M STARVING!!!

Texas Bill

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Southern food

Hey Bill,

Where are you anyway? I can come close to your fantasy meal. Give me a call (pm or e-mail) and head to Villa Gonzalez.

Didn't have turnip greens, but had cooked cabbage, fried okra, blackeyed peas, fried potatoes, pork chops, and of course a big old skillet full of corn bread day before yesterday. A few sliced tomatoes and some cantalope made for some fine eats.

Haven't made any fried green tomatoes in awhile, but I could go for some right now. Not joking one bit...I would truly enjoy fixing a good southern meal for folks who can appreciate. Just let me know when. By the way, let me know what you'd want for dessert. Banana pudding, chocolate cake or maybe a fresh coconut cake with lemon filling. We're just finishing a walnut banana bread. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

Pick your menu boy and show up hungry! By the way, Maybe you'd rather have biscuits with the fried chicken and gravy. Round up a couple of friends and we'll just have some of all of it.

Dianne

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Hard to get list

Pib,

I forgot to ask. Are you putting the list on Aunt Clara's or here? Got a couple of things to add when it does go up. Hell, I've been looking for something to do. Maybe this should be it. I'm so bored I'm making Danny crazy. Like I've said before, he's into this retirement thing, but not me. Type A personality and all that. I need a job and a life!

Dianne

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
We will put the list in our site.

dawnwil don't be sorry. The intention is what counts. I can find authentic (as authentic as anything bottled can be) Thai curry very close to my place. The only things that are hard to find are lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves (I use regular lime leaves) and galangha roots (use ginger instead). Everything else can be found here with time and gas to spare.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
WOW Dawn,
Friends in high places eh?? I can't imagine WHAT you were doing "having a palaver with the President of the Senate on immigration issues"!! Unless, of course, you were handing over a list of undocumented aliens in return for the franchise on importing green Thai paste into the DR?!!

I do hope no one upset you during your recent trip here - if they did, they must currently be walking on eggshells!!!!

It was lovely to meet you (this isn't a crawl, we have our residencias!!) & thank you so much for the spices. Grahame is still licking his lips (& he enjoyed the spices as well!!).

We look forward to January - Ginnie.