Vehicular Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Keep in mind the relativity high gas prices here. (Currently about 220 pesos/gal IIRC?)

if you need an economical vehicle, and you do not need an SUV, there in nothing to equal the Kia K5 for cheap operation. secondly, they will run for half a million kilometers before you need to tear the engine down.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Would you believe that i just bought a 2019 SUV that gets...are you sitting down...53MPG. The sticker says that it averages 50MPG, but I've been averaging 52 - 55mpg for the last 3 -weeks.

It's outstanding.

My boss in Norway bought it first. I never even heard of it before. It's a Kia!! I also bought the Advanced Technology Package along with it, and that gives it Autonomous braking (only in cruise control), steering, lane changing, Front collision warning, and some other stuff.

I've made lots of videos of it steering itself down the highway by itself, but it needs two white lines to navigate itself in-between them (I don't even know how it works...cameras?? Sensors?? Both??). If you take your hands off the wheel and let it drive itself down the highway, it waits about 5-seconds before beeping--alerting you to place your hands back on the steering wheel.

I'm going to put all of the videos together and upload them to Youtube along with a brief review next week. I'll post the video here next week when i get the chance.

I'm very impressed with it, but more impressed with the 53MPG i'm averaging.

10yrs ago if someone would have told me that one day you can get a small SUV that gets over 50mpg, i would have laughed at them.

I'm not laughing now.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
Trying to import a car will probably be the greatest challenge you faced in your life. By the time you finished bribing dozens of authorities you will be old and gray. General experience mandates that cars had better be bought locally.
Welcome to the Dominican Republic'

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Trying to import a car will probably be the greatest challenge you faced in your life. By the time you finished bribing dozens of authorities you will be old and gray. General experience mandates that cars had better be bought locally.
Welcome to the Dominican Republic'

Not true. We imported a car to DR, was very smooth and easy. Not one bribe. We hired a woman in DR who handled everything for a very reasonable price.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, which model? Thanks!

Kia Niro. I also have a new Ford Escape SE that i just bought for Big Red. Both SUV's have a 1.6 cylinder engine, but the Kia gets nearly twice the MPG because of it being a hybrid. The Ford Escape is averaging 26-27MPG--which is good, but the Kia is besting it by 53-53MPG.

I'm shocked everyday by the amazing gas mileage i'm getting in the KIA. I've yet to get anything less than 50MPG.

If you do look into the Kia Niro, be sure you get the Advanced Technology Package that comes with autonomous braking, autonomous cruise control, lane changing alert, front collision alert, etc.

Sep 4, 2012
Not true. We imported a car to DR, was very smooth and easy. Not one bribe. We hired a woman in DR who handled everything for a very reasonable price.

If indeed the task is so easy - why did you hire someone to do it?

Just asking, I brought my vehicle and didn't hire anyone.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Just drove back from Santo Domingo to the Sosua area in mostly rain. Our annual gun permit trip. The mountain road is WAY worse then ever. The construction of the new road that is no where in sight is destroying everything. Pot holes that will crack your rims. The main highway has also gained a lot of holes. So others are all over the road and almost coming to a stop to go over any bump or dip while a few others think they are super driver. And of course, trucks that will not let you pass.

Why do I bring this up here? 2013 Jeep G.C. Overland (mid size SUV) with the 5.7 Hemi, off road and tow packages with everything heavy duty including the tires. When I "kick that mule".. we go and we go fast and able to go over really bad roads without feeling them and have complete control. Though I do avoid the deeper pot holes. 18.5mpg round trip average. Have not have any service issues at all but our mechanic in Sosua did service our 2000 G.C. and parts were no problem. Jeep dealer in Santo Domingo seen from main highway and may be one in Santiago but have not needed them.

Importing when you have your temp. res. is the way to go and having an Dominican importer to help is worth it. First household/car imported was solely in my wifes' name. Then we did another solely in my name. Both close to ??? duty free. Check to see if/what laws have changed.

Will have our daughter start her temp. res. soon. Looking at another Jeep Overland. lol

We bought the 2013 being one year old here in the D.R. and it was expensive. Dealer in S.D. sticker prices over U.S. $75K for new.

Last edited:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...If you buy in DR, try to avoid cars with after market add ons,...wheels, radios,spoilers, some really bad wheels out there that look nice but will always leak...unless you like flat tires in the morning......

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Just drove back from Santo Domingo to the Sosua area in mostly rain. Our annual gun permit trip. The mountain road is WAY worse then ever. The construction of the new road that is no where in sight is destroying everything. Pot holes that will crack your rims. The main highway has also gained a lot of holes. So others are all over the road and almost coming to a stop to go over any bump or dip while a few others think they are super driver. And of course, trucks that will not let you pass.

Why do I bring this up here? 2013 Jeep G.C. Overland (mid size SUV) with the 5.7 Hemi, off road and tow packages with everything heavy duty including the tires. When I "kick that mule".. we go and we go fast and able to go over really bad roads without feeling them and have complete control. Though I do avoid the deeper pot holes. 18.5mpg round trip average. Have not have any service issues at all but our mechanic in Sosua did service our 2000 G.C. and parts were no problem. Jeep dealer in Santo Domingo seen from main highway and may be one in Santiago but have not needed them.

Importing when you have your temp. res. is the way to go and having an Dominican importer to help is worth it. First household/car imported was solely in my wifes' name. Then we did another solely in my name. Both close to ??? duty free. Check to see if/what laws have changed.

Will have our daughter start her temp. res. soon. Looking at another Jeep Overland. lol

We bought the 2013 being one year old here in the D.R. and it was expensive. Dealer in S.D. sticker prices over U.S. $75K for new.

Good information. Thanks! My primary issue being how "off-road" of a vehicle do I really need. I don't want something as large as the 4Runner; but, the 4Runner is very capable. If I am in very bad weather or road conditions I don't believe the Rav4, even the new one, will have the chops to get me out.

I am pretty much committed to the Rav4 or the 4Runner. I am staying away from Jeep. They may be very off-road capable, but I don't need the headaches. The last Cherokee had 6 separate recalls, and they're not known for great build quality. Some people swear by them, but I am too set in my ways, and Jeep/Chrysler never entered any purchase decision.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
...If you buy in DR, try to avoid cars with after market add ons,...wheels, radios,spoilers, some really bad wheels out there that look nice but will always leak...unless you like flat tires in the morning......

Yes, another painful choice is whether to import or purchase in DR. Either pay a small fortune for a DR vehicle or import and pay taxes, "fees", etc. Most likely will import, just based on our situation. Either way we are buying new.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Just about all of the D.R. is off road.

Good information. Thanks! My primary issue being how "off-road" of a vehicle do I really need. I don't want something as large as the 4Runner; but, the 4Runner is very capable. If I am in very bad weather or road conditions I don't believe the Rav4, even the new one, will have the chops to get me out.

I am pretty much committed to the Rav4 or the 4Runner. I am staying away from Jeep. They may be very off-road capable, but I don't need the headaches. The last Cherokee had 6 separate recalls, and they're not known for great build quality. Some people swear by them, but I am too set in my ways, and Jeep/Chrysler never entered any purchase decision.

I think that the above title tells it all. Even on nice days... lol

I looked at a lot of other SUVs a couple of months ago NOT wanting another Jeep since they have been owned by Fiat. I could see some corners cut on the 2013 as compared to our 2000. After lots of looking, I'm staying with the Jeep brand at this time. But we will not be looking to replace for another 5 years or so and know that things change. If you get your residency you get a good discount on importing what you really want and done right and will save a lot of $$$ rather then buying/upgrading here in the D.R. Again, check the current laws.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I think that the above title tells it all. Even on nice days... lol

I looked at a lot of other SUVs a couple of months ago NOT wanting another Jeep since they have been owned by Fiat. I could see some corners cut on the 2013 as compared to our 2000. After lots of looking, I'm staying with the Jeep brand at this time. But we will not be looking to replace for another 5 years or so and know that things change. If you get your residency you get a good discount on importing what you really want and done right and will save a lot of $$$ rather then buying/upgrading here in the D.R. Again, check the current laws.

Hah, true! We will be in Las Terrenas for the most time, which has decent roads, and our only excursions have been up and down the toll road. I suspect roads in much of the rest of the country are worse.

The attorney in DR is telling us it will be about 1/3 of the value to be assessed in taxes/fees. Which is rather horrifying; but, new car prices in DR, and even in Canada, are quite a bit more, so it all comes out in the wash so to speak.

Jan 9, 2004
So, curious to know what expat residents drive in the DR. I don't want to know which specific vehicle is best, rather what type of vehicle would you recommend (small suv, large suv, pickup, etc). We will need to import a vehicle and we have narrowed our choice to a RAV4 or a 4Runner. I do not like large vehicles, so much prefer the RAV4; however, everything we have driven in the DR has been a larger SUV or pickup, and they do have their advantages, just don't know if they are necessary. We will be living in Las Terrenas, and our property is at higher elevation, thus driving up a hill that is relatively well surfaced.

Rav4 sounds more than adequate for your needs.

Buy it in the US a couple years before your move/residency (remember the vehicle must be 5 years old or newer, calculated to mean a 5 year old vehicle now (2013)...is eligible to be landed until June 30, 2019).........then bring it in under the new resident tax regimen.

Taxes are based on the value of the vehicle so it is NOT a good idea to buy it new in the US and ship it there.....even with the tax savings of being a new resident.

Some people have indicated that you can buy a new vehicle in the DR and the government (not the dealer) will supposedly somehow reduce those taxes. However, none of my car dealer clients have ever heard of this...........as they must pre-pay all taxes to the government to get the vehicle out of port...........and one of those clients is a major importer and new car dealer.

If you do buy a RAV4 in the DR, please make sure you verify that it is AWD (all wheel drive). You would be amazed how many Rav 4's in the DR are FWD only.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Indeed, definitely all wheel drive. The new Rav4's, about to be released here, supposedly have a better AWD system and greater ground clearance.

Thanks everyone for all your help and comments :)

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Hah, true! We will be in Las Terrenas for the most time, which has decent roads, and our only excursions have been up and down the toll road. I suspect roads in much of the rest of the country are worse.

The attorney in DR is telling us it will be about 1/3 of the value to be assessed in taxes/fees. Which is rather horrifying; but, new car prices in DR, and even in Canada, are quite a bit more, so it all comes out in the wash so to speak.

Good way to look at it. I also wonder how many of these "new" cars being sold here in the D.R. are refugees from floods in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.