Visiting the DR for between 4 and 6 months

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Hola

Check out the left side. I am listed as a ``newbie``. In fact this will be post #3.

On the main Forum page, the “New Post” page lists many current topic, but they are ALL to do with the new Visa requirements.

I'm sure, many of you, have read them all, so please can you help me.

It appears that my Pension income allows me to apply for a Permanent residence card for the same effort as a Temporary residence card. That is not much of a concession as I don't want either one.

I have no interested in living in the DR, I just want to stay there this winter. I have no intent on buying a place. I really want to keep my options open for next year (and all those to follow). Applying for a Visa seems like a lot of work to just spend a few months.

My wife was not Canadian. We went through applying for Temporary residence. Then Permanent residence. Then Citizenship. What a pain! A lot of work. There was always something that wasn't quite right and had to be redone. I don't look forward to trying to please a distant, unseen bureaucrats.... again.

Imagine, if you will, the Consulates being bombarded with applications (because of a new Visa rule).
They will be “not too sure” about the “new” requirements (that keep changing). What used to take 6 weeks now takes 3-4 months and for this entire time they are holding my Canadian passport.

Basically... I am trying to figure out how to stay in the DR for 5 months without applying for a Visa.

Questions...

How long can I stay in the DR (say.. with a Tourist Card) without triggering the new Visa rules (ie 60 days)?
If I leave the country (go to Haiti) does the count restart?
Is there a limit, to doing this (twice, thrice)?
Will it be hard to re-enter from Haiti?
From Sosua/Cabarete how hard is it to get to Haiti (for an hour)? Is there a bus,or Guagua?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There are so many other countries that want people to visit...for me it is time to start investigating other options. I want to go to a country that wants me, not one that makes me jump through hoops. I am sure there are many other who feel like me.
Too bad, I love the DR but if they don't want me....I get the message.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hola

Check out the left side. I am listed as a ``newbie``. In fact this will be post #3.

On the main Forum page, the ?New Post? page lists many current topic, but they are ALL to do with the new Visa requirements.

I'm sure, many of you, have read them all, so please can you help me.

It appears that my Pension income allows me to apply for a Permanent residence card for the same effort as a Temporary residence card. That is not much of a concession as I don't want either one.

I have no interested in living in the DR, I just want to stay there this winter. I have no intent on buying a place. I really want to keep my options open for next year (and all those to follow). Applying for a Visa seems like a lot of work to just spend a few months.

My wife was not Canadian. We went through applying for Temporary residence. Then Permanent residence. Then Citizenship. What a pain! A lot of work. There was always something that wasn't quite right and had to be redone. I don't look forward to trying to please a distant, unseen bureaucrats.... again.

Imagine, if you will, the Consulates being bombarded with applications (because of a new Visa rule).
They will be ?not too sure? about the ?new? requirements (that keep changing). What used to take 6 weeks now takes 3-4 months and for this entire time they are holding my Canadian passport.

Basically... I am trying to figure out how to stay in the DR for 5 months without applying for a Visa.

Questions...

How long can I stay in the DR (say.. with a Tourist Card) without triggering the new Visa rules (ie 60 days)?
If I leave the country (go to Haiti) does the count restart?
Is there a limit, to doing this (twice, thrice)?
Will it be hard to re-enter from Haiti?
From Sosua/Cabarete how hard is it to get to Haiti (for an hour)? Is there a bus,or Guagua?

If you had read them, you would know that everyone has questions and no one knows the answers. You will have to wait along with the rest of us. Your questions are not unique. Others would also like to know the answers. The new immigration requirements are a work in progress.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can not wait for the U.S to lift the embargo on Cuba, they have the best beaches and i doubt the real estate prices would be anything like they are in the D.R. The Russians and Italians have already started investing heavily so have the Chinese, i am counting the days. Then i won't have to deal with these hidden fees "Residencia Permit," sounds like Persona non Grata to me.

Sadly, you're gonna' have a long wait, my friend. Maybe when there are no other Castros to take over the govt., MAYBE. There's a large and growing community of Cuban expats/heritage with a strong and growing stronger lobby whose primary agenda is to never allow normal relations as long as the current govt. is in charge. We're not talking "just off the boat" types either. Well established and wealthy business people and elected officials.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Some real world examples of the concerns people are having now.

I know an owner of 11 rental condos on the north coast worth probably $3 million in total. He travels here for a week or two every month. It seems such frequent travel may pose an issue under new rules... and as he's out of the country for more than 6 months annually, so residency isn't a solution..

I don't remember seeing anything that would have an effect on this? From all I reead you can not stay for more than 60days at one time? I am here a week per month or maybe two on a good month. No residency. Heck I am rarely here more than 15 days.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't remember seeing anything that would have an effect on this? From all I reead you can not stay for more than 60days at one time? I am here a week per month or maybe two on a good month. No residency. Heck I am rarely here more than 15 days.

I think you are correct if you want to stay for less than 60 days. I did not see anything that says you cannot do that as often as you like. For 60 to 120 days you can renew once, but the current method to renew is silly.

Time will tell what really happens and hopefully adjustments will be made in the policy.