Vista Goblins

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The solution.

First, open "My Computer".

a.jpg

Then right click on the "C" drive and click on properties.

b.jpg

On the subsequent window, click on "Dick Cleanup"

c.jpg

Your puter will need some time to calculate the amount of space.
It will also ask you for permission to continue, if you have your "User Account" settings on.

d.jpg

Select every option on that page, then click on "More Options" at the top.

e.jpg

Click on the bottom clean up icon (for system restore)

f.jpg

Click on "Delete" on the next window, then "OK" at the bottom of that remaining window.

g.jpg

Click on "Delete Files" on the subsequent window.

h.jpg

The utility may take a significant amount of time to do the job, depending on how dirty the puter is.

j.jpg

Job done.
Compare the free space you now have as compared to what you had at the beginning, then smile.:cheeky:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have friends who are computer techs and they all say Vista is the biggest piece of crap they've encountered in quite a while as far as operating systems are concerned.

On my home computer I run 3 hard drives-one for the OS, one for audio files(Itunes) and another for video files.

I find that keeping things separate gives me more space and more importantly less clutter and better organization capabilities, which is difficult if not impossible to replicate on a laptop.

My friends are steering their customers who have home computers to Windows XP, and combined with their servicepack 3 runs much more efficiently than Vista.

I have an all-in-one card reader for floppys and different size memory cards that has become useless because Vista will not recognize it, along with a whole host of other problems. Even though I've managed to have it behave with much tweaking and I sort of like Vista, it just has too many problems in terms of compatibility.
I feel your pain, but I assure you that if you have a decent processor (not a Celeron) and 2 gigs of ram, then perform all the steps shown in http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/67055-new-laptops-vista.html
Then clean it up as shown in this thread, and you will have a very fast puter, sometimes faster than XP with certain programs, and sometimes a bit slower with others, but still a very satisfying result.
The proof is in the pudding, as those who have done it, can attest.
Having a puter with a lousy processor, a slow speed hard drive or inadequate ram, will always be disappointing.
Nevertheless, it will benefit greatly by doing all the adjustments/changes/tweaks/cleaning/etc, as mentioned in both threads.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Thanks so much, Marco. I will follow this step by step.

For the record, I have an AMD dualcore Opteron Processor 170 and 2.00 Gb of memory.

The harddrive dedicated to the OS is a Western Digital 75 Gb Raptor drive.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks so much, Marco. I will follow this step by step.

For the record, I have an AMD dualcore Opteron Processor 170 and 2.00 Gb of memory.

The harddrive dedicated to the OS is a Western Digital 75 Gb Raptor drive.
Sounds pretty darn good.
To double check the hard drive speed, you can go to "System information" to get the exact model of hard drive, then enter it in a Google search, along with the word, "speed", and you will find results in no time.
If it is a 7,200 rpm, you're in business.
If it's a 5,400 rpm, the puter will never be blistering fast.
If it's a 4,200 rpm, be prepared for lots of lags and take a valium.

PS: Of course, if it's a 10k or 15k, suffice to say that it will move at blinding speeds.

Last edited:

jester420

Jun 21, 2007
A Geeks 2 Cents

The Fastest and easiest way to correct all your Vista issues is to Switch to Apple.
After all Vista is just a PC imitating a Mac. Just My 2 Cents.

Jester420
Soon to Be DR North Coast Resident

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Very nice, went from 75.9g used to 34.5g used.
Thanks to the geeks for allowing me to continue as a moron.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
PC vs Mac

The Fastest and easiest way to correct all your Vista issues is to Switch to Apple.
After all Vista is just a PC imitating a Mac. Just My 2 Cents.

Jester420
Soon to Be DR North Coast Resident

OK, so I have been following this thread as well as reviewed another one http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/670...ops-vista.html and as an "Old Fart" who still is confused as to why Bill gates wants me to click on Start to close down my computer (plagarized from someone else's post), I wonder if there are some comments/recommendations/answers in layman's terms to the question "" PC or Mac?" "

I will also soon be a North Coast resident and will be purchasing a laptop in the near future. Any advice would be welcomed.

A

apostropheman

if money is not a real issue have a serious look at a Mac.

if i was in the market for another new laptop i'd be counting my pennies and going Mac.

you just have to be prepared to get used to a different operating system...but it's very intuitive so no big deal really for most people

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK, so I have been following this thread as well as reviewed another one http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/670...ops-vista.html and as an "Old Fart" who still is confused as to why Bill gates wants me to click on Start to close down my computer (plagarized from someone else's post), I wonder if there are some comments/recommendations/answers in layman's terms to the question "" PC or Mac?" "

I will also soon be a North Coast resident and will be purchasing a laptop in the near future. Any advice would be welcomed.
Most everybody who owns a Mac is happy with it.
They are pricey but appear to be high quality machines.
My reason for not going there is I really don't want to have to relearn a whole different OS.
Some people seem to get joy out of learning the way a new OS thinks.
I find it a frustrating pain in the butt.
Combine that with the fact that I have public PCs here and if I changed them for Macs, everyone would be confused and unable to surf with them.
And to add one more reason, I've become so proficient at getting the best out of a PC, that it would be a shame to waste that talent/hobby.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Sounds pretty darn good.
To double check the hard drive speed, you can go to "System information" to get the exact model of hard drive, then enter it in a Google search, along with the word, "speed", and you will find results in no time.
If it is a 7,200 rpm, you're in business.
If it's a 5,400 rpm, the puter will never be blistering fast.
If it's a 4,200 rpm, be prepared for lots of lags and take a valium.

PS: Of course, if it's a 10k or 15k, suffice to say that it will move at blinding speeds.

Yes, I meant 74Gb WD Raptor, and it is 10,000 rpm. Muchisimas Gracias!!!

jester420

Jun 21, 2007
PC vs Mac Cont.

The biggest benefit of Mac over PC is, with Macs being only btw 3% and 5% of the PC market, no one really writes viruses or Malware for them. Second benefit is they don't require many hard to locate drivers and pretty much set themselves up with little frustration. Yes they are much more expensive than PCs, but they also last longer. My biggest issue with PCs is they give the user so much control over the os environment that most non-greeks corrupt their own machines.

Rocky the learning curve for Mac OS isn't real problem as it is mostly a point and click environment. As for public use, if web surfing and email are the main functions those are a breeze to setup and even more secure. The real problem is the initial expense. Software availability is also no longer a problem since all new Mac can run in a dual os(Intel and Mac) environment. I'd be more than happy to help you out once I get settled in Costambar next month. Looking forward to trying out your Famous Ribs soon.

Jester

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Marco-I followed your instructions, it took all of 6 minutes and everything happened just as you said. I now have more space on my C drive.

Everyone here owes Marco a round of applause, and lets' thank the moderators for not deleting this non-DR related topic!!!!:cheeky:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Guess what I can't find in my machine...........? :laugh:

Marc, should I try this with mine or does the magnificent cleaning job you did on it the other week make this superfluous?
Absolutely, you should.
It's the same procedure for XP, except for 2 small details.
On that "more options" window, there are 3 options instead of two, but it is still the bottom one which needs to be selected (system restore).
The other minor difference is that you will likely not gain back as much space as we do with Vista, as Vista has big bad goblins, while XP only has little fuzzy goblins.;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The biggest benefit of Mac over PC is, with Macs being only btw 3% and 5% of the PC market, no one really writes viruses or Malware for them. Second benefit is they don't require many hard to locate drivers and pretty much set themselves up with little frustration. Yes they are much more expensive than PCs, but they also last longer. My biggest issue with PCs is they give the user so much control over the os environment that most non-greeks corrupt their own machines.

Rocky the learning curve for Mac OS isn't real problem as it is mostly a point and click environment. As for public use, if web surfing and email are the main functions those are a breeze to setup and even more secure. The real problem is the initial expense. Software availability is also no longer a problem since all new Mac can run in a dual os(Intel and Mac) environment. I'd be more than happy to help you out once I get settled in Costambar next month. Looking forward to trying out your Famous Ribs soon.

Jester
Thank you for the kind offer.
Who knows?
Maybe one day.
Bear in mind that I only have two hobbies in life, and one of them is cleaning up PCs.
What would I do if everyone had Macs and I had nothing left to clean up?;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco-I followed your instructions, it took all of 6 minutes and everything happened just as you said. I now have more space on my C drive.

Everyone here owes Marco a round of applause, and lets' thank the moderators for not deleting this non-DR related topic!!!!:cheeky:
I'm happier than a pig in poop to hear that.
Thanks for getting back with that report.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Marco
I saved 27Gb of disk space.
Graham
Hey Graham.
That's great.
27 gigs is a pretty substantial amount.
Thanks for posting your actual results.
Others who may be fearful of trying, will be encouraged to do so, when they see how much they might have to gain.