Wakeboarding in Santo Domingo flooded streets

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I didn't know you worked for a Dutch company and off course they weren't like me!!! I'm German and I'm one in a billion!!!! :bunny:

I lived in Kaiserslautern in '85 and '86, played futbol, dranks lots of beer, went to fallschirmj?ger and kommando school in Bayern with Germans and I don't remember any being like you. :)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I lived in Kaiserslautern in '85 and '86, played futbol, dranks lots of beer, went to fallschirmj?ger and kommando school in Bayern with Germans and I don't remember any being like you. :)

hahahaha off course you didn't meet any Germans like me!! Germany has 82 million people and I'm one in a billion, there you go!!!
So how come you stopped working for Arcadis? You prefer running around on a 125cc between Santiago y Sosua? ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
hahahaha off course you didn't meet any Germans like me!! Germany has 82 million people and I'm one in a billion, there you go!!!
So how come you stopped working for Arcadis? You prefer running around on a 125cc between Santiago y Sosua? ;)

I left in 2005 to start my own business. Good thing because they closed their doors in Orlando after Obama became president and fixed the economy.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This is not necessarily true. Then again I'm a professional drainage engineer and have been working in this field for almost 20 years and have plenty of examples of persistent flooding even after the storm even passed.

Chip... I do respect that you have an engineering background and you are continuing your education. You are working to learn more and to be a better engineer. You have a wife and family and it is very obvious that you love them and you are a good husband and father. And a decient person. You also have other support and faith that is part of who you are. Though I may not agreee with some things that you say or how you see things... My hat's off to you.

Buts lets face it. Drainage and so many more issues that need to be solved and could be solved just are not solved. Those in the private sector that build Malls are not interested in the solving these other problems and don't care about the impact that the building brings with it. You are right, It's not their problem.... because no one has held them responsible.

But does building Malls really help the people? Employs a lot for construction.. some for the business'. Without the proper plan of electric, sewer, access roads, parking and drainage you have a bigger problem in the long run.

This last rain... and that is all it was in S.D.... showed flooding that every rain brings. Sandy was a T.S. way far away with a tiny tail end effecting S.D. and it flooded just as it always does. As does Santiago and Sosua and every town that gets some rain. It is the amount of rain that has become the concern for the flooding and the situation gets worse every year. And yes I understand that the people themselves put themselves in harms way. But is that not part of the planning? NOT to build here or there? If you build you need a system that works? Electric, water, drainage, roads and security... the basics of a community.

Is that NOT part of what you are learning?

In California we had a saying. "If you build your house on a crack in the earth.... it's you'r own fault".

Sep 4, 2012
Ringo,

Great reply and as you, in my short time in the DR1 board I've noticed the same from Chip (might even hire him to build my house one of these days..lol), but flooding happens every where. The DR is an island in the Caribbean and as so, the sun shines but also storms and hurricanes can be the dish of the day, season depending.

I take it all with a grain of salt, when is shining out; I enjoy it, when flooding hits the streets, I stay en la casa and watch it through the eyes of the camera man as much as possible to avoid being in the middle of it. Doable at times, and a pain in others.

Regardless, I try to enjoy the good things and disconnect myself from the bad ones (which could be/are many), I'm not here to dwell on the ugly of DR, rather to place my energies to enjoy the benefits and good things that it offers me.

Sure there is a big problem with the traffic, the sewer, the flooding, and the list could go on and on, but one can find issues anywhere and the DR is not the exception to the rule.

My time here is to be enjoyed to the fullest. Great fun, great people, awesome beaches and now that I found DR1, getting better by the minute.

Look at NY going through the same storm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYj9s_OJHE&feature=BFa&list=PL6cGNLMeqsHCs2l0c4cQfpShMdimzx1l7

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo,

Great reply and as you, in my short time in the DR1 board I've noticed the same from Chip (might even hire him to build my house one of these days..lol), but flooding happens every where. The DR is an island in the Caribbean and as so, the sun shines but also storms and hurricanes can be the dish of the day, season depending.

I take it all with a grain of salt, when is shining out; I enjoy it, when flooding hits the streets, I stay en la casa and watch it through the eyes of the camera man as much as possible to avoid being in the middle of it. Doable at times, and a pain in others.

Regardless, I try to enjoy the good things and disconnect myself from the bad ones (which could be/are many), I'm not here to dwell on the ugly of DR, rather to place my energies to enjoy the benefits and good things that it offers me.

Sure there is a big problem with the traffic, the sewer, the flooding, and the list could go on and on, but one can find issues anywhere and the DR is not the exception to the rule.

My time here is to be enjoyed to the fullest. Great fun, great people, awesome beaches and now that I found DR1, getting better by the minute.

Look at NY going through the same storm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYj9s_OJHE&feature=BFa&list=PL6cGNLMeqsHCs2l0c4cQfpShMdimzx1l7

I enjoyed your post. IF I would do another building project then I'd want Chip to do it. I have my own background of ... building and know about flooding but Chip would be the man.

Dispite what appears to be my negative posts, I try to post what is REAL as I have experienced and have lived with. In part I recognize and realize that living here I have to adjust to a different culture. People that .... the culture and how it works for them has me having to change how I think. I can not change a whole culture BUT I can try to recognize, as insulting as some may find it, the differences in our cultures and I am the one to adapt.

Carry on.

Sep 4, 2012
I enjoyed your post. IF I would do another building project then I'd want Chip to do it. I have my own background of ... building and know about flooding but Chip would be the man.

Dispite what appears to be my negative posts, I try to post what is REAL as I have experienced and have lived with. In part I recognize and realize that living here I have to adjust to a different culture. People that .... the culture and how it works for them has me having to change how I think. I can not change a whole culture BUT I can try to recognize, as insulting as some may find it, the differences in our cultures and I am the one to adapt.

Carry on.

Didn't think it was negative at all, pointing the good, the bad and the ugly makes one prepare better for realities and here in the DR, when reality hits, it hits a home-run I recon.

I enjoy all points of views, hence staying connected through DR1, thanks Google!

Thanks for the reply.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip... I do respect that you have an engineering background and you are continuing your education. You are working to learn more and to be a better engineer. You have a wife and family and it is very obvious that you love them and you are a good husband and father. And a decient person. You also have other support and faith that is part of who you are. Though I may not agreee with some things that you say or how you see things... My hat's off to you.

Buts lets face it. Drainage and so many more issues that need to be solved and could be solved just are not solved. Those in the private sector that build Malls are not interested in the solving these other problems and don't care about the impact that the building brings with it. You are right, It's not their problem.... because no one has held them responsible.

But does building Malls really help the people? Employs a lot for construction.. some for the business'. Without the proper plan of electric, sewer, access roads, parking and drainage you have a bigger problem in the long run.

This last rain... and that is all it was in S.D.... showed flooding that every rain brings. Sandy was a T.S. way far away with a tiny tail end effecting S.D. and it flooded just as it always does. As does Santiago and Sosua and every town that gets some rain. It is the amount of rain that has become the concern for the flooding and the situation gets worse every year. And yes I understand that the people themselves put themselves in harms way. But is that not part of the planning? NOT to build here or there? If you build you need a system that works? Electric, water, drainage, roads and security... the basics of a community.

Is that NOT part of what you are learning?

In California we had a saying. "If you build your house on a crack in the earth.... it's you'r own fault".

Ringo

First thanks for the kind words.

I do recognize that the drainage systems here are substandard but it irks me that people complain about anything and everything under the sun here. :)

With regard to malls and other private development please understand that the way most governments generate revenue is by taxing, not by building infrastructure, in spite of what Obama might say. :) Therefore in order for the infrastructure improvements to be able to be built we need private development, lots of it - such as malls.

With regard to the drainage question, my hope is to establish a strong drainage program here in the country at PUCMM. As it is now most of the engineers who have a strong background in drainage have to travel abroad to get their training, or so I have been told by my colleagues. Hopefully, assuming I can finish my masters, I can train other professors here and then we can start teaching cutting edge drainage modeling using programs like HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS, etc. This is complex software and drainage models can take hours to run. The ultimate goal would be to have models set up like in the US that feed real time rainfall data with the goal of predicting flood elevations for known floodways. Below are a couple of screenshots.

Finally, I wil reiterate that malls add to the quality of life here. Which is not only important to generate tax revenue but also to increase the quality of life so that the young and bright engineers and professionals decide to stay instead of leaving. :)

hec-hms_main.jpg

HEC-RAS.jpg

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo

First thanks for the kind words.

I do recognize that the drainage systems here are substandard but it irks me that people complain about anything and everything under the sun here. :)

With regard to malls and other private development please understand that the way most governments generate revenue is by taxing, not by building infrastructure, in spite of what Obama might say. :) Therefore in order for the infrastructure improvements to be able to be built we need private development, lots of it - such as malls.

With regard to the drainage question, my hope is to establish a strong drainage program here in the country at PUCMM. As it is now most of the engineers who have a strong background in drainage have to travel abroad to get their training, or so I have been told by my colleagues. Hopefully, assuming I can finish my masters, I can train other professors here and then we can start teaching cutting edge drainage modeling using programs like HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS, etc. This is complex software and drainage models can take hours to run. The ultimate goal would be to have models set up like in the US that feed real time rainfall data with the goal of predicting flood elevations for known floodways. Below are a couple of screenshots.

Finally, I wil reiterate that malls add to the quality of life here. Which is not only important to generate tax revenue but also to increase the quality of life so that the young and bright engineers and professionals decide to stay instead of leaving. :)

hec-hms_main.jpg

HEC-RAS.jpg

Well done Chip... well done. I don't agree with all of it BUT you have brought your thinking and hopes for the future for the betterment of all people and what you are looking at and trying to do is an huge challange in so many ways. (I still don't like all the Malls ... but I'll get over it.... I have no choice.) Thanks for getting back to us/me and I wish you all the best.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

chip, do not make it overly complicated. this thread is about drainage. do not be led astray into the path of complaints about dominican bashing, stay on track :) even if others don't. i know you can focus.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chip, is full of more "$HIT" than a "Christmas Goose"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not going to be as "KIND" as Frank here!
I
"IF" chip is such a good "Drainage Engineer" how come he moved HERE, and didn't stay in Orlando Fla,??????
He chooses to live here, with his wife and two children,and on only $1,500 US dollars.
Chip has more "Plans" than A "Lifer" in The "Q"( San Quenten NY Prison) "planning" his escape!
I submit that a "Failure As An Engineer" in the USA, is a "Big Fish in a Small Pond", ie. the DR!!!
Chip does have ONE endearing quality, He hates
OBAMA", who WILL WIN in spite of Chipper!!!!!
Let me know when you get Dominican citizenship.
I will check with the US Veteran's Administration, to see if you still quality for that $1,500 Dollar DISABILITY monthly gift.
I can also send them a copy of ALL your anti-USA posts!!!!
Give us a rest, everyone on DR1 knows you want to be a Dominican Citizen, and it is VERY obvious your dislike for all things "Americano".
No need to respond to my post with yet another of your pitiful disclaimers.
We have all heard it a million times, don't need yet another.
Now just go "PM" Robert again, crying about my posts.
"MAN UP", if you still can!!
The difference between the DR Government and the USA government's response to natural disasters, is that the DR doesn't make "PLANS" to prepare before the disaster, they just wait until after, to make EXCUSES!
After living through "Sandy" in the DR, then again in Boston, even a blind,sightless, deaf person could FEEL the difference!
My sister got two "Robo Calls" from her city government giving DETAILED instructions on preparation before "Sandy", during "Sandy", and in the aftermath of "Sandy".
I must have missed my call in Santo Domingo!!
Now the National USA government will help with search and rescue,rebuilding infrastructure, and grants and interest free loans to help citizens, businesses, and local and state governments and agencies REBUILD, AND "PLAN" for future disasters!
I missed the DR media announcements about the DR governments "PLANS' about ANY of the above.
But, as you ALWAYS say about ANYTHING we EXPATS post about "La Vida Real" "Down There",we are just "DR Haters" with an agenda to always make negative posts about the DR!
"Wake Up, "DR Wannabe" there actually are "PROBLEMAS" in the DR!
And saying "It's just as bad, or Worse in the USA", doesn't help resolve ANY problems in the DR, no matter how many times you say it!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CC

With all due respect, get you facts straight. My medical disability is US380 and I have to generate the rest.

As far as me being a failure in Orlando, no problem, there are thousands of us thanks to the construction economy in Florida.

Finally, I see you have a lot of angst and hate and would say ultimately it could cause you health problems.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have to wonder what class of people would take hearsay and sell it as fact. Someone in another post claims my pension is $1500 and CC jumps on it and makes it his own without bothering to verify it's veracity. In another thread, greydread claims I'm on welfare even though I've never received any such type benefits. Worse are posters like Tambo, ExtremeR and Africaida "liking" these post - what does this say about their integrity????

I agree everyone likes a good discussion but how low does one have to go to win an argument???? By trying to discredit their opponent at all costs?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm sorry chip, according to yet another of your self agrandising disclaimers I now see the error of my ways!
Shame on "Tambo",ExtremeR,& 'AFRI" FOR NOT SEEING THROUGH MY "BOLD FACED LIES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry chip, they will NEVER like my posts again!
No matter HOW TRUE!"
I, unlike you, can remember posts I have made on DR1,
It's easy for me,because, like Popeye, I am what I am, and I "Sez" what I mean"!!!!
People who habitually lie, on the other hand, have trouble remembering the lies they post, BECAUSE, If you lie all the time, you have great difficulty remembering just WHAT lies you told on one day, from the lies you told on another day!
"Honesty", is the "Best Policy" ESPECIALLY for chronic "Fibbers"!
If anyone "Likes" this post, chip will NOT "Like" you!
You have been warned, Right chip?????
Bet that got them ALL trembl'n in there "Chancletas"("Flip Flops") Hey, that's a good nickname for you chip,"Chancleta-er".
Much better than , "The "L" Word"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Just look below chip,"Tambo" is scared $HITLESS of Pi$$ing you off!
Right "Tambo"???????????????

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have to wonder what class of people would take hearsay and sell it as fact. Someone in another post claims my pension is $1500 and CC jumps on it and makes it his own without bothering to verify it's veracity. In another thread, greydread claims I'm on welfare even though I've never received any such type benefits. Worse are posters like Tambo, ExtremeR and Africaida "liking" these post - what does this say about their integrity????

I agree everyone likes a good discussion but how low does one have to go to win an argument???? By trying to discredit their opponent at all costs?

Chip, greydread called u a welfare queen. It was irony. I can't care less if you ever been on welfare or not, nor the amount you receive for disability. The fact is that you seem to look down upon people who receive help from your government, while you are yourself a recipient. That s why it was funny to me. Ok, the thought of you as a QUEEN was also hilarious ;)