J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ATTN: To the new management at LA SIRENA-- THANKS so very much for the lovely new YAMAHA descant recorder!! I am going to buy 10 of them to give out to the shoe shine boys on the corner. AND for the fastastic artisan corner that you have given over to the group who is working with the BLIND!!!! I was able to buy a GORGOUS new LARIMAR necklace for only !1700!!!!! worth half that in US dollars in NYC--
however, i have to also say that the curtain that i bought as a curtain for the living room had no curtain rod pocket. But it serves well as a summer spread on the bed.....

GO!!!! WAY TO GO~~ but i do hope that the GOVERNMENT is closing in on this as I am certain, ABSOTIVELY that there has been a change of management..... someone should be paying a lot of taxes----

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As far as I know, Walmart's is the largest retail outlet in the world and is also the largest private employer in the US. While the company started out fine, by Sam Walton out of Arkansas, they lost their intial popularity when they abandoned their "America First" policies and began doing business in China.
Actually, WalMart's mission has always been to give their customers the best prices and value possible. It wasn't WalMart that changed, it was America and the cost of doing business. Economic Globalization is what hurt American manufacturers, not WalMart doing business with China.

WalMart's market are the Middle Class and lower folks. It is they that demand the most cost effective goods possible. Those goods are no longer made in the US, and Wal Mart knows that if they didn't give those folks the lower priced goods they demand, some other chain will. Heck, the DR Free Zones appealed to the same Wal Mart buyers at one time, but the DR has lost business to China, too.

My family had a lake house for many years in Savanna TN, since the TVA was created, and dams were built on the Tennessee River. For years, yes, there were Mom and Pop stores, very quaint. But the fact was you couldn't get much of anything from them, and the Mom and Pop stores were VERY expensive. They had a virtual cartel/monopoly in small towns, and most folks didn't want to go to the "Big City" to do their shopping (the Big City for us was Memphis TN, 90 miles away).

I remember WalMart coming to Savanna in the late 60's/early 70's. It was amazing! For the first time EVER, there was actually a store that had a real extensive inventory and it cost a TON less!!! The people were ecstatic!

Yes, WalMart meant the end of many small business. But in total, WalMart did the small towns a great service. No longer were small town people forced to pay high prices for limited goods.

Now Savanna has a Super WalMart. Who ever would have thought star fruit, raspberries, artichokes and sushi would ever be available in that small town.

Oh, and folks who work for WalMart there absolutely LOVE it, and are very, very proud. WalMart never has a need for employees, because folk WANT to work there. Simple folk? Yes. But they want to be part of the WalMart family.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Now Savanna has a Super WalMart. Who ever would have thought star fruit, raspberries, artichokes and sushi would ever be available in that small town.

I can appreciate the romance of your story. I wonder what the suppliers of the star fruit, raspberries, artichokes and sushi would say in relation to this wonderful story about wallmart. And I wonder what the workers in those industries would say?

mountainannie, have you lost your marbles girl? Or has the 'Hampton's' or the 'Long Island' consumer society taken its toll on a true sister of the revolution? Or are we just growing old and becoming senile and looking forward to a favorite soft chair to rest our weary asses on? ;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I can appreciate the romance of your story.
No romance, Chris.

There is a reason why WalMart is the largest retailer on the planet: their customers make them so. You may not like the facts, but customers are the one that make any business successful, not a company's detractors. You know, customers, the ones who choose where they spend their hard earned money?

:classic:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If WalMart buys La Sirena, you'll se a substantial increase in the diversity of goods on their shelves, and at decent prices. It's the Wal Mart model.

There have been threads on DR1 about how those eeeevil upper-class Dominicans who own stores (like La Sirena) offer poor products at near rip-off prices, lowering the purchasing power of the "average Dominican". I would think, based on those comments, a successful, cost-conscious retailer such as Wal Mart would be most welcomed.

Additionally, I think competiton makes all players in a market better. The strong have to compete, the weak perish. And having a serious player like Wal Mart would force other similar businesses to get better...or die.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
If WalMart buys La Sirena, you'll se a substantial increase in the diversity of goods on their shelves, and at decent prices. It's the Wal Mart model.

There have been threads on DR1 about how those eeeevil upper-class Dominicans who own stores (like La Sirena) offer poor products at near rip-off prices, lowering the purchasing power of the "average Dominican". I would think, based on those comments, a successful, cost-conscious retailer such as Wal Mart would be most welcomed.

Additionally, I think competiton makes all players in a market better. The strong have to compete, the weak perish. And having a serious player like Wal Mart would force other similar businesses to get better...or die.

could not have said it any better myself, a while back there was also something on home depot coming over to the dr i hope that one is true and they drive ferreteria ochoa out. these thieves rip off alot of people with their ridiculous prices.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

Don't get overly excited yet. Even IF it where to be a true rumor and that they'd really drop the Sirena logo for a Walmart sign, it wouldn't yet say that they would forcedly replicate the US-Walmart model. They haven't done it in Germany either, instead they just changed the signs and tried to treat their employees the way the apparently can get away with in the States for a short while and then had to give that up too. Turned out to be business as usual (at least for the store I knew in Singen, Germany).

Also keep in mind, that whether it is PriceMart (is it BJ's or Cosco?), Carrefour and Jumbo or Walmart, HomeDepot or Lowes against our "home based" companies like 8-A, Ferreteria Americana, Plaza Lama and Nacional, most of the products that are of so dear interest to us, will always be DR-duty paying IMPORTS, since most will never benefit from the DR-CAFTA treaty, which will keep them at "near rip off"-price levels any which way, unless the US starts to manufacture the goods we are used to buy there again, that is.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Some interesting reading:

From the yahoo finance site:
The International segment includes various formats of retail stores and restaurants, including discount stores, supercenters, and Sam's Clubs that operate in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, the People's Republic of China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, and the United Kingdom. As of January 31, 2007, the company operated 1,075 discount stores; 2,256 supercenters; 579 Sam's Clubs; and 112 Neighborhood Markets in the United States. It operated 13 units in Argentina, 299 in Brazil, 289 in Canada, 137 in Costa Rica, 63 in El Salvador, 132 in Guatemala, 41 in Honduras, 392 in Japan, 889 in Mexico, 40 in Nicaragua, 54 in Puerto Rico, and 335 in the United Kingdom, as well as 73 stores through joint ventures in the People's Republic of China, as of the above date.

From Walmart International site:
International Websites
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Argentina: www.wal-mart.com.ar
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Brazil: Wal-Mart Stores
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Canada: Wal-Mart Canada
<!-- MODULE BODY --> China: ??ӭ?????֌????й?
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Japan: the-seiyu.com
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Mexico: Wal-Mart de M?xico
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Korea: ????ȭ??
<!-- MODULE BODY --> Puerto Rico: Bienvenido a Wal-Mart Puerto Rico, Inc.
<!-- MODULE BODY --> United Kingdom: www.asda.com

It would be interesting to read from people who have actually experienced their coming or transition(s) in countries like Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua.

... J-D.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Walmart

When we were in Costa Rica the last four months of 2006 they had a chain of stores called HiperMas. They were Walmart owned. It was obvious inside from many of the signs. They just use a *Happy Whale* instead of a smiley face.
No, the stores were not an exact replica of a US Walmart,nor did they carry ALL US brands; but they were well stocked, clean, friendly, and very well priced.
Two weeks while on the way back from whale watching in Samana, my hubby and I visited the La Sirena in San Francisco de Macoris. We felt like we were back in a HiperMas store.
Today we went to the one of the far east end of Santo Domingo. Again, it was clean, well-stocked, friendly staff and very well priced. If it hasn't been taken over by Walmart, it certainly seems like it was influenced by them somehow.
I'm impressed and very pleased with them!

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
When we were in Costa Rica the last four months of 2006 they had a chain of stores called HiperMas. They were Walmart owned. It was obvious inside from many of the signs. They just use a *Happy Whale* instead of a smiley face.
No, the stores were not an exact replica of a US Walmart,nor did they carry ALL US brands; but they were well stocked, clean, friendly, and very well priced.
Two weeks while on the way back from whale watching in Samana, my hubby and I visited the La Sirena in San Francisco de Macoris. We felt like we were back in a HiperMas store.
Today we went to the one of the far east end of Santo Domingo. Again, it was clean, well-stocked, friendly staff and very well priced. If it hasn't been taken over by Walmart, it certainly seems like it was influenced by them somehow.
I'm impressed and very pleased with them!

When I was recently in Santo Domingo, I was very pleased with the selection in La Sirena. I was not pleased with the selection of items in Jumbo's store in MegoCentral Mall. La Sirena is as close to a Wal-Mart in the USA as one expects to find in the Dominican Republic. Also, La Sirena is a great place to meet the local Dominincans and make some new friends. I like the La Sirena in eastern Santo Domingo because of the large selection of items. I am excied about my permanent move to the Dominican Republic. Americans are so brain washed to believe countries like the Dominican Republic do not have stores similar to Wal-Mart. One of my friends in the USA could not believe that the DR even had electtricity. I brought a great pair of cargo-military style pants at La Sirena. I look forward to shopping at La Sirena in the future.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Would THINK, That "PEOPLE" W#ho Actually "LIVE" In The DR Would...

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!! Posting these "RUMORS"!!!
I mean we have all heard that "SEARS" is buying "Plaza Lama"!!!
"100% SURE!!! "Yah RIGHT!"
"Home Depot" has just bought "Ferreterria Popular" or.. "Hache" !!!
"IKEA" has bought "Departamentos Americana"! "Oh no!" I mean that;
"IKEA" is building "next" to "American" on "Kennedy"!
I was "there" yesterday. "NO BUILDING GOING ON YET!"
Sooooooooooooo...just a "Friendly Reminder" to those "EXPATS" who want to say; "You Heard It Here First!" All The Time!!!
I believe NOTHING of what I "Hear"!
Nothing of what I "Read"!
AND, "Damn LITTLE" of what I "SEE" in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When "It Happens,It Happens! NOT BEFORE!!
Just like "BLIMPIE", "I will gladly pay you Tuesday,
for a "Hamburger" today!!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC