Walmart buying La Sirena (Strong Rumor)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
More on the Wal-Mart, Sirena rumor...

What have we have heard at DR1 is that the Ramos family purchased Ole and are upgrading that chain as part of their strategy to stay in the business while they leave La Sirena to Wal-Mart. Of course, this is yet to be confirmed.

The DR is becoming more and more attractive to big name brands...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You guys are funny. Since I live in a large city my dream for retirement is a place where there are no high rises, not much pollution, no stupid Walmart, ikea, etc. how many more of these chain stores are they gonna bring into the DR. All they do is create more pollution, more waste, make a few richer and make a lot of people spend spend on things they don't need with money they don't have. Just my opinion.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
wish'em luck, like most here they will need it, but they may be able to buy it!

I remember about 15 years ago Wall-mart went into Germany. I met one of their future "Trainers" for Germany in Ecuador. I thought that they had quite an attitude and thought that they would bring the invention of super markets to Germany, treating employees by their first name and having cashiers clean toilets too... I just shook my head. So, they went and bought up a small chain of existing super markets and soon quit trying to change every thing. Germans did not cater to the idea of being called "Hans" only and cashiers did not clean toilets. Worse, customers compared prices and would only buy if things were indeed cheaper, not just because of an king size smiley... quality was also an issue. Now, you walk into a German Wall-mart and besides the sign, there is next to nothing that will remind you of a US Wall-mart store.

They may be able to mold people here a little easier, as people seem to like most every thing that seem American or let's say Guevayolquino, time only will tell. I think that like with everything the government may be their greatest problem if they can't cut out a deal with them. Buying stuff expensive at a Wall-mart is just no fun at all.
I think that there is a good potential for a super market chain operating in the whole country, serving most if not all towns (not just Santo-Doming, Santiago and maybe Eastern La Romana), however I think that the Wall-mart concept may be too big for suchan idea. I'd rather see a chance for something like an ALDI or LIDL (Germany-> EU) type of setup.

Jest thoughts... J-D.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Low Price SM's

... Now, you walk into a German Wall-mart ....
No longer possible:
Wal-Mart: Keine Chance in Deutschland - Wirtschaft - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten

....I'd rather see a chance for something like an ALDI or LIDL...
Yes, ALDI already has shops in as far away places like the US and Australia.
The concept of their stores, however, would only be viable in big cities (much to the sorrow of rural m'frog).

m'frog

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The biggest advantages would be business efficiency and Wal-Mart being able to bring it in and intergrate it to their super-awesome supply chain, but I repeat myself. .also, that should also force other to be more proactive in doing the same; to upgrade their supply chain and business practices.

Same benefits will be brought by IKEA within its market sector.

Jan 9, 2004
Speaking of more productive....

Did anyone else read the article in Listin Diario (I think) in April concerning Plaza Lama developing an alliance with Sears.

And, if several sources, including Univision, are running the Walmart/La Sirena story, why has Walmart's large public relations department not issued an official press release?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The biggest advantages would be business efficiency and Wal-Mart being able to bring it in and intergrate it to their super-awesome supply chain, but I repeat myself. .also, that should also force other to be more proactive in doing the same; to upgrade their supply chain and business practices.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

You hit the nail!

The alternative would be for the competition to go out of business. As of yet I have never seen a company that goes into business to go broke and this is reason enough to expect the competition to comply with the world's best practice which Wal-Mart will inject into its segment of the economy.

-NALs

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I welcome Wal-Mart, so I can buy some Hersey Special Dark chocolate bars here in Santiago.
For some reason, the stores in Santiago don?t carry Dark Chocolate.

For the time being,
... I placed an order with Chip00 to bring about 6 of the large bars for me.

Hopefully they will carry some of the simple things when they take over. I looked all over Santiago to buy a hydrometer to check my inverter batteries. Even drew a picture, just got this crazy look from some people. Even Trace does not carry them. Finally at U.S. Batteries, they said they can get one for me in a day or two for $300 pesos.

Hard items to find in the states seem to be easy to find here, while simple things are almost impossible to find. Such as GOOD drill bits, not the ones that melt and bend when you use them.

Some Bush?s Baked Beans would be nice also.

Don SantiagoDR

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
so I can buy some Hersey Special Dark chocolate bars...
...a hydrometer to check my inverter batteries...
...GOOD drill bits...
...Bush?s Baked Beans...

Walmart bought ASDA (in the UK) a few years ago. It's still called ASDA and nothing changed. I've never even heard of 'Hersey' or 'Bush's Beans' [although somehow I think there's a joke with that as a punch-line in there somewhere] And you can't buy good tools or hydrometers in ASDA either. Just because it's bought by Walmart, doesn't mean it will become Walmart (although of course, it might).

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
You Think?

per Dolores:
What have we have heard at DR1 is that the Ramos family purchased Ole and are upgrading that chain as part of their strategy to stay in the business while they leave La Sirena to Wal-Mart. Of course, this is yet to be confirmed.

Tell us when it's confirmed.
We wanna be the 1st to know. :bunny:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I just talked to a friend who is a manager at one of the La Sirena?s and told him I heard he is going to have a new boss.

He said they are being told that the rumor is not true about Wal-Mart.

In true Dominican style, when something is denied, that usually means it's true.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
No longer possible:
Wal-Mart: Keine Chance in Deutschland - Wirtschaft - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten

Yes, ALDI already has shops in as far away places like the US and Australia.
The concept of their stores, however, would only be viable in big cities (much to the sorrow of rural m'frog).

m'frog

Well, I haven't been there for a Year... things change. Funny however their argument for the pullout:

Wal-Mart war vor acht Jahren auf den deutschen Markt gekommen. Die Trennung vom Deutschland-Gesch?ft begr?ndete der stellvertretende Vorsitzende Michael Duke damit, dass es "unter den derzeitigen wirtschaftlichen Rahmenbedingungen in Deutschland schwierig ist, die von uns angestrebte Gr??e und angestrebten Ergebnisse zu erzielen". Der Verkauf gebe Wal-Mart die M?glichkeit, sich verst?rkt den M?rkten zu widmen, auf denen das Unternehmen die gesteckten Ziele schneller erreichen k?nne.[/quote]

Basically they are saying that they leave Germany because of the economy (which incidentally is said to be soaring since the last government change?) and prefer to concentrate to new location where goals of growth will be in possible in a shorter time.
Well, welcome to the DR :bunny:

LIDL first, then ALDI (less) has been very very successfully in the last 5 years in Spain. they are virtually every where on the coast now... and have been successfully at cutting deep into the Spanish market, so much that supermarkets like Mercadona are suffering. Especially LIDL has placed itself in little towns of 30'000 inhabitants and up... sometimes even with multiple stores. Based on that concept they could very well serve location like La Vega, Bonao, Puerto Plata, Sosua Samana, SF de M, SP, de M, Highuey, La Romana etc.

Just my opinion... J-D.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Changes on the ground

well people here it is Wallmart buys la sirena and super pola for $800 US million. Here is the link: Walmart Stores, Inc. adquiere La Sirena y Super Pola por 800 millones de Dólares | El Libelo.com I wonder if they wil stay with the name la sirena (since its very famous in the Dominican Republic or if they are going to give it the american twist with WALMART)

That link is dead. Does anyone have a working link for this story? I went to the Central La Sirena on Churchill on the strength of this rumour. AND alleluja! There is indeed a profound change from the store I stopped bother with after I could not find a bathmat.

My housekeeper has already found that the La Sirena in the Zona is worth walking an extra 15 blocks for because the prices are so low/

Spainish neighbors, who run The Train restaurant in Gazcue, say that the owners of La Serena were Spanish.

Any estimates on the taxes due to the DR government on this sale?

Any estimate on how long it will take the Spaniards in question to place it offshore in the Caymans..

Ladies, grab your shopping carts and tell me if this chain is not under new management?

Now I have fought valiantly against Walmart inside the States but WOW am I glad they are here now. They have my business.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Funny how so many Americans hate Walmart.......

but they keep shopping there......;)

They are one of the biggest employers in the world.

We have one where I live in Canada and I absolutely HATE shopping there. Feels so claustrophobic!
However when you're looking for low prices on everyday items, it's definitely the place to go if there is no other choice.

(Note: we also have a Canadian Tire whose prices are in line with WM's so I pay the extra few cents to shop there instead as it's a much nicer environment and a Canadian company to boot!)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Walmart deal may have fallen out

Lately have heard rumors that the Walmart-Ramos deal did not go through.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Here is another thread that has sort of covered this rumour, from 2007 and then recently been brought back to life.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/65854-la-sirena-puerto-plata.html

Marlie

Yes, the rumor about the land buy on Puerto Plata's Malecon is still alive.
Land prices along the malecon have risen accordingly too.
So is the rumor that Jumbo had bought up the Silvero Meson super market (with the real estate) opposite to the Jimenez store and that Nacional is looking into land or may already have a deal along the main road in between the East and West end. All life rumors.

... J-D.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
deal with la sirena on the malecon went through but i understand there were squatters living there and that slowed down the process.
there are few mysterious building sites on manolo tavarez justo and lots of rumours circulating about big santiago chains coming to POP.
can't wait!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
but they keep shopping there......;)

They are one of the biggest employers in the world.

We have one where I live in Canada and I absolutely HATE shopping there. Feels so claustrophobic!
However when you're looking for low prices on everyday items, it's definitely the place to go if there is no other choice.

(Note: we also have a Canadian Tire whose prices are in line with WM's so I pay the extra few cents to shop there instead as it's a much nicer environment and a Canadian company to boot!)

As far as I know, Walmart's is the largest retail outlet in the world and is also the largest private employer in the US. While the company started out fine, by Sam Walton out of Arkansas, they lost their intial popularity when they abandoned their "America First" policies and began doing business in China.

While they are most likely responsible for the sharp drop in poverty in China, they are also responsible for the death of the center of thousands of small towns and inner cities in the US where the Mom and Pop stores cannot compete. Walmart's is also often charged with paying low wages, hiring many part time workers so that the company is not responsible for health care.

There are pros and cons always. Most Walmart's in the States stay open 24 hours a day which allows shift workers ample opportunity to shop.

They do, indeed, usually have the lowest prices in town. Their Sam's Club bulk shopping outlet allows many families to stock up on essentials at an almost wholesale price and would certainly put the local "Price Smart" to shame.

They employ the elderly and handicapped. their customer service is excellent. They have many staff on the floor of the store, helping customers find products. They refund money easily for almost any reason.

They open their parking lots for RVs (campers etc) at night, giving them a safe place to stay for free.

And, now, they have made a committment to help reduce global warming. Their first step was to cut holes in the rooves of all their store and install skylights to use natural daylight and reduce the use of electricity. They installed heavy plastic strips over their produce cooler sections to reduce the cost of refrigeration. They have committed to increasing the milage on their fleet.

Whatever the rumour mills say, I believe that there has been a profound change at La Sirena. It would not be unusual for a local company to deny a sale in order to shield themselves from taxes, would it? I remember hearing when I first came here, from a friend who worked for PLAN international, that La Sirena did not, in fact, have a practice of paying taxes.

I am awaiting further postings here from the "Ladies who Shop" to tell me whether or not my hunch is correct.

The nose knows.