Warming - Is it Permanent?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
On the other hand Pichardo, I’m hoping for palm trees in my area and I hope my snowblower and skis get rusty in my garage. 😂 It may happen but I’ll long gone by then. The DR is entering the fall and winter season so a decrease in temperature is normal. Regarding the article about a temperature drop at the Antarctic pole, it’s true but what is not mentioned is the NASA data confirming the edges of Anarctica have been warming for years and accelerated ice melt is occurring. The cooling at the pole is an anomaly. It’s being studied by NASA and other scientists.

Our other pole has more definitive changes. For the first time since weather has been recorded in the Arctic, the temperature reached above zero this year. NASA satellites have confirmed the melting ice in the Arctic for years now. Updated NASA data this year indicated the melt is more accelerated than we thought.

Climate change with its associated warming is occurring whether we believe it or not. How much of It is due to natural climatic change versus how much is due to manmade activities is up for debate.

If the DR continues to get periods of abnormally hot weather, more frequent droughts, and more frequent and stronger hurricanes, it could be a more definitive indicator of climate change for the DR.
Back in around the 12th century there was a drought in the area of Cancun Mexico that lasted for almost 100 years.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Prof. Carlo Rubbia is an Italian physicist and academic, winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1984.
′′ I am someone who has worked at least a quarter of a century on the issue of energy in various aspects and therefore I know things very clearly.
I would like to express some concepts quickly, also because the timing is short.
The first observation is that Earth's climate has always changed. Today we think (in a way, probably falsely) that if we keep CO2 (Carbon Anhydride) under control, the Earth's climate will remain unchanged. This is absolutely not true.
I would like to remind you that during the last million years Earth was dominated by periods of glaciation where the average temperature was less than 10 degrees, except very short periods, where there was the temperature that is today. The last one was 10.000 years ago when the change started with agriculture, development and so on, which is the basis of all our civilization today.
In the last 2.000 years, for example, Earth's temperature has changed profoundly. In the time of Romans, Hannibal crossed the Alps with elephants to come to Italy. We couldn't come today, because the temperature of the earth is lower than what it was in Romans times. So today elephants couldn't cross the area where they went then.
There was a period in the Middle Ages when a small glaciation occurred. Then, around the year 1000 there was a temperature increase similar to Romans times. Let's remember that in the time of Romans the temperature was higher than today. Then there was a mini-glaciation, during the period of 1500-1600. For example, the Vikings experienced massive survival problems due to this mini-glaciation, which developed with substantial temperature changes.
If we stay in the last 100 years, there have been significant climate changes, which happened well before the anthropogenic effect, greenhouse effect and so on. For example, in the s there was a substantial change.
The presence of man probably brought about further changes. Let's not forget that when I was born, Earth's population was 3,7 times less than today. Primary energy consumption increased 11 times in my life.
Regarding the behavior of the planet, this has had very strange and contradictory effects.
I would like to remind you for example that from 2000 to 2014, Earth's temperature has not risen: it has decreased by 0,2 degrees and we have not observed any sizeable climate change in the last 15 years. This is something you all need to realize, because we are not facing a temperature explosion: the temperature has risen until 2000: since then we have remained constant, actually we are down 0,2 degrees.
Prof. Carlo STEALS:
′′ I look at the facts. The fact is that Earth's average temperature, in the last 15 years, has not risen but decreased" END OF QUOTE

Reactions: I love Azua

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reactions: NanSanPedro

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes those Mayans...,I studied their culture in University... they seemed to have over used the land, cutting most of the trees...which caused drought. which caused famine , which caused warfare and that was the end of the Mayan classic period...Kind of like whats happening today...........

Reactions: Ecoman1949

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes those Mayans...,I studied their culture in University... they seemed to have over used the land, cutting most of the trees...which caused drought. which caused famine , which caused warfare and that was the end of the Mayan classic period...Kind of like whats happening today...........
We could learn from history if we were willing to learn it. The Mayans had an overpopulation problem, as there is in many countries nowadays.

Reactions: Auryn

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Climate Change causes calm. And renders Wind Turbines ineffective

You can find every nut job right wing site, I give you that.

Myself? Not a big fan of wind turbines. The wind doesn't blow all the time in the best of locations and something needs to pick up the slack rendering the wind turbine approach less than ideal.

What we need is any type of power that is available because developing nations don't have choices.

Is global warming permanent> Yep, until the next ice age.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What the Post article says and the way Breitbart reports it are rather different. The Post honestly reports the unusual cold weather in the Antarctic but points out that it is a "blip" in the general trend, while Breitbart describes the Post as having an "alarmist narrative" and is "trying to disguise the bad news".

Anyway. I know that I am outnumbered here on DR1 (unlike in the rest of the world) and nobody will listen to me, so I'll make no further contribution to this thread, which apart from the second sentence in the first post has no DR content whatsoever.
6 months is a blip, who knew.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I firmly believe that

I have been to those caves in So France.... where the glacier stopped (finally!!)

Imagine Europe covered by a glacier... and then gone -- POOF!!
w/o one car or coal fired factory

A typical cycle of nature.....

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I firmly believe that

I have been to those caves in So France.... where the glacier stopped (finally!!)

Imagine Europe covered by a glacier... and then gone -- POOF!!
w/o one car or coal fired factory

A typical cycle of nature.....

Hmmm, perhaps we need to start a movement to stop glaciers? I'll get right on it after I'm finished with my "Stop Continental Drift Now!" protest.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Those caves house some of the earliest known drawings..... on the cave walls
Earliest known to mankind...

Spain & So Africa have some too... going back 70,000 yrs

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Reality is slowing injecting itself at the UN Climate Conference. A growing number of attendees believe that negotiating to limit the rise to 1.5 degrees is pointless. Regardless of what we do, the temperature will rise to 2.4 degrees and the resulting impacts will be worse than previously thought.

Over 500 attendees are fossil fuel industry lobbyists. Some attendees say they are needed. Other say they are stopping real progress. Lobbyists are purely self serving. Thinking they are there for the common good is asinine.

China and Russia promised nothing. Our Prime Minister promised impossible things knowing the targets won’t be met and he won’t be in power to take responsibility for the failure. The US President shipped an embarrassing number of cars to Rome and Glasgow for his entourage. Australia refused to cut coal production. The developed nations have fallen well short of the billions promised to help nations immediately affected by climate change.

In hindsight, I think the DR President made a wise decision to not attend the conference and focus on pressing domestic security matters. Who in their right mind, would want their name attached to the circus going on in Glasgow.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wasn't it Glasgow where over 400 airplanes arrived to bring the representatives?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reality is slowing injecting itself at the UN Climate Conference. A growing number of attendees believe that negotiating to limit the rise to 1.5 degrees is pointless. Regardless of what we do, the temperature will rise to 2.4 degrees and the resulting impacts will be worse than previously thought.

Over 500 attendees are fossil fuel industry lobbyists. Some attendees say they are needed. Other say they are stopping real progress. Lobbyists are purely self serving. Thinking they are there for the common good is asinine.

China and Russia promised nothing. Our Prime Minister promised impossible things knowing the targets won’t be met and he won’t be in power to take responsibility for the failure. The US President shipped an embarrassing number of cars to Rome and Glasgow for his entourage. Australia refused to cut coal production. The developed nations have fallen well short of the billions promised to help nations immediately affected by climate change.

In hindsight, I think the DR President made a wise decision to not attend the conference and focus on pressing domestic security matters. Who in their right mind, would want their name attached to the circus going on in Glasgow.
The rising temperature may not be bad at all. Plant lots of trees.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
however, the "movement" will just say : see, see, that's more evidence that global warming is happening. No mater the results, its evidence that global warming is upon us. They want everyone to give up their cars, take public transportation and the latest, my favorite, stop using leaf blowers as they are huge polluters