Well, back from our trip *WARNING - LONG POST*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Back to the maid. If she was working 2 hours each morning, returning at 5pm, for I assume another 3 hours, so 5 hours daily times 6 days a week = 30 hours a week, 90 hours for 3 weeks. At 7000 pesos, that works out at 77.77 pesos an hour. And I got "told off" (very nicely by HB :classic: ) for overpaying at 40 pesos an hour!! 77 pesos an hour is probably the going rate for a junior manager, isn't it?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lambada said:
Back to the maid. If she was working 2 hours each morning, returning at 5pm, for I assume another 3 hours, so 5 hours daily times 6 days a week = 30 hours a week, 90 hours for 3 weeks. At 7000 pesos, that works out at 77.77 pesos an hour. And I got "told off" (very nicely by HB :classic: ) for overpaying at 40 pesos an hour!! 77 pesos an hour is probably the going rate for a junior manager, isn't it?

PLUS two meals @ RD $30 per meal per person (3 in number I recall), PLUS recreational facilities, plus extras not yet mentioned ............. I would have thought the hourly rate would have been in excess of RD $100!! It makes not one JOT of interest to Bacalou, he had an "Agenda" here to attack anyone who dissagreed with his point of view. The fact that his Point of View bore absolutely NO relation to what is right & proper here in the DR (due to his lack of knowledge of this country) & that REGARDLESS of whether the wage was fair, it was what the maid had contracted to - without the benefits she was permitted by the employer!!

Seriously Bacalou, if you are going to fight someone's corner then get to know what is "Fair & Proper" before doing so. In this case the maid was getting MORE than a fair wage but tried to exhort more from the employer in an un-Dominican manner - GREED!! It would be adviseable to learn a bit about the culture down in the DR too as many of your remarks proved you did not really understand this!! - Grahame.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Just from the perspective...

of a curious outsider Bacalao, do you have a maid or houseboy and how much do you pay h/her and what other benefits do you allow; eating at the family table, etc?

If that info is already somewhere in the thread I must've overlooked it.

Best, P

Status
Not open for further replies.