We've gone LOCK DOWN!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've reported about our little area in Playa Chiquita not to long ago. It appears that we are entering J.R.'s world not to far from us, but no one has been shot yet. (but we are know into no more warning shots.)

As reported before, everyone has been robbed at least one this last year except for us. I'm NOT bragging. We have changed our security and changed as conditions and situations have.

Quick and just the last couple of months.
Background:
Neighbors next door robbed 6 weeks ago while out to dinner. They have drastically increased security.
3 weeks ago: Some "shoot out" in the street and no one knows anything.
2 weeks ago: Dogs barking and I'm up in the middle of the night.
2 days ago: Another attempt at my neighbors house at 3:30 AM with lots of gunfire from the night watch summoned from across the street.

We have had several conversations with our neighbors and while they are working to upgrade we are trying to watch their back. We also have changed, again. Hard to have a neighbor hood watch of only 2 at our end of the road.

Watch your place but also... work with your neighbors and watch each others.

Just sharing

Ringo, do you live near Lee--with the big CJ Jeep Wrangler--in front of the ocean? Is this the stretch that you are referring to?

Frank

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo, do you live near Lee--with the big CJ Jeep Wrangler--in front of the ocean? Is this the stretch that you are referring to?

Frank

I don't know him but for some reason I think he live at the other end of our street. Why? Problems on his end too? I would be glad to meet him.

One problem living in a nice community with individual walled homes is that you seldom get to know your neighbors. You open your gate, leave and return never seeing them on the other side of the walls and while passing in your car all you do is wave sometimes.

Neighbor and us have noticed more people hanging around and walking on the road in the last few months. But could be that they are working for others and just taking a break. (photo time?)

We also believe, and others here on DR1 say the same thing, that the criminals have become well organized.

Our LOCK DOWN is a matter of making sure that all the doors are locked, including double bolted interior doors. 3 dogs outside and one on the bed. More lights on. Closing all the inside curtains and down stairs doors and windows as our help leaves. We have the security but now we have to use our heads and use what we have instead of... I left that door unlocked, that light is burned out and the surveillance camera is broken... but I'll fix them later.

A simple thing such as a whistle so that I know who is having a problem helps.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Living in a nice area is a dual edged sword: you are surrounded by people who are like minded, at least to a degree, in wanting to protect their valuables. Problem is, the bad guys know that's where the good stuff is.

One thing that just about everybody is afraid of and recognizes: the sound of a 12 gauge cocking behind a closed door.

Playa Chiquita? Hmm.... never been to DR, but from experience I can tell you: don't play with Chiquita; dat bitch crazy.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have an airhorn- probably too far away from anyone to raise an alarm but it may scare off an intruder , I also have my stapling gun that sounds a bit like a gun, so I can staple anyone approaching to death

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I have an airhorn- probably too far away from anyone to raise an alarm but it may scare off an intruder , I also have my stapling gun that sounds a bit like a gun, so I can staple anyone approaching to death

An airhorn is a very good idea jr. Where can I buy one...... or a dozen? The problem or the challenge is to get with everyone around you so they know what it is and means.

My stapling gun is so old and rusty that I have to use a hammer to finish the job. What size staples you using? lol

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a wrist-rocket slingshot and except in the dark I can hit somebody in the head from around fifty feet most of the time. I practise taking cans off fences using marbles or ball-bearings as ammo. Cheaper than a gun.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
I have an airhorn- probably too far away from anyone to raise an alarm but it may scare offth an intruder , I also have my stapling gun that sounds a bit like a gun, so I can staple anyone approaching to death

(In voice of my best Clint Eastwood imitation) You're gonna look awful silly with that staple gun stickin' outta your ass...

:)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I have a wrist-rocket slingshot and except in the dark I can hit somebody in the head from around fifty feet most of the time. I practise taking cans off fences using marbles or ball-bearings as ammo. Cheaper than a gun.

I have one also but could not find the ammo, marbles or ball-bearings, so never got real good with it. Mostly to get unwanted chickens to go away. Guess I'll look a little harder but if they are THAT close then I'd just use my 9mm and get a sound effect too.

DieselFuel

Jan 15, 2013
Just curious as to why anyone would want to live like this??? Shotguns, handguns, machetes, cameras, whistles, dogs, motion detectors, bars on windows??? This place must be magical to want to live this way!!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Actually, that's a bit of an urban legend. From a normal choke on a12 gauge, 00Buck will only spread about 3 feet at 8-10 feet (Normal confrontation in a home) and maybe 5 feet at a ten foot distance. definitely better than handgun but you do have to aim

A "cylinder bore" shotgun (No choke) firing # 4 shot Magnums is ideal for clearing a room with minimal aim

you're theory is sound, but your data is faulty. 2 3/4" shell of 00 fired from a common defense / tactical shotgun (cylinder choke) will give a 7 to 8" spread at 7 yards (21 feet). #6 or #8 birdshot will spread to about 16" The spread for 00 shot from a normal choke at 8-10 feet will be more like 3 inches than 3 feet.

bottom line.... DEFINITELY aim if you want to hit anything. Of course... the "poop your pants" factor will be in effect for the intruder whether you hit him or not.

EDIT: I'm deleting the image of a cardboard target shot at 25 yards with 00. the image is enormous and appears like it won't scroll to see it.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
An airhorn is a very good idea jr. Where can I buy one...... or a dozen? The problem or the challenge is to get with everyone around you so they know what it is and means.

My stapling gun is so old and rusty that I have to use a hammer to finish the job. What size staples you using? lol

The air horns are usually available where you can get boating supplies. You can get little ones at dollar stores in the US.

I once shot myself in the leg with a staple gun. 2" long staple 1/2" wide. I was lucky that it didn't push a piece of my jeans in with it. Couldn't move my leg because I had stapled the muscle to my femur. No safety mechanism on the gun and bumped my thigh into the tip.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Just curious as to why anyone would want to live like this??? Shotguns, handguns, machetes, cameras, whistles, dogs, motion detectors, bars on windows??? This place must be magical to want to live this way!!!

It hasn't always been this way and not all areas have the same amount of problems.

Unemployed is high, cost of living has gone up; where they use to be able to live off the land the land now has condos, the desire to live life as seen on TV and for others it's just plain desperation.

Over the years we also have had a lot of X-pats move here and more on DR1 so we are hearing more about some problems. ??

But in the States, I had shotguns, handguns, cameras, whistles, dogs, security systems BUT we knew all our neighbors and we watched out for each other. We just adapted and did a little more when we came here but would really like to get my community a bit more involved as a group.

DieselFuel

Jan 15, 2013
Well I live in NYC my whole life and I don't own any of the above and I feel safe 100% of the time. If I had to live of fear of life everyday isn't it time to move on? No innocent person should have to live their life like they are in prison. Just saying.......

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I kept the security company signs and they are in my front yard, advertising that my home has a security system. A good deterrent, because it will make people think twice about burglarizing the home.

WARNING!

THIS HOUSE PROTECTED BY SIGNS
:laugh:

I once shot myself in the leg with a staple gun. 2" long staple 1/2" wide. I was lucky that it didn't push a piece of my jeans in with it. Couldn't move my leg because I had stapled the muscle to my femur. No safety mechanism on the gun and bumped my thigh into the tip.

Givadog tasering himself still tops that. He did it to test the effects... and found out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good advice FB. WE are well protected. Now the.... myself obligation to help my neighbors that are a part of my life adds to my concern. We come from different backgrounds and we see things differently.

They are scared and all I can do is what I can do. Support them, a little advice and try to watch their backs.

They now are starting to understand and work as a team.

That's a beginning.

It is like "herding cats" . I know the feeling very well. It took years for our development to create an association, close off easy access to unauthorized people, hire watchmen and it made a major difference. Good luck with your troubles.

May 5, 2007
you're theory is sound, but your data is faulty. 2 3/4" shell of 00 fired from a common defense / tactical shotgun (cylinder choke) will give a 7 to 8" spread at 7 yards (21 feet). #6 or #8 birdshot will spread to about 16" The spread for 00 shot from a normal choke at 8-10 feet will be more like 3 inches than 3 feet.

bottom line.... DEFINITELY aim if you want to hit anything. Of course... the "poop your pants" factor will be in effect for the intruder whether you hit him or not.

EDIT: I'm deleting the image of a cardboard target shot at 25 yards with 00. the image is enormous and appears like it won't scroll to see it.

Please excuse my typo, I would have thought anyone who had the least experience with a shotgun would have realized my remark should have read "three inches" as opposed to feet

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Well I live in NYC my whole life and I don't own any of the above and I feel safe 100% of the time. If I had to live of fear of life everyday isn't it time to move on? No innocent person should have to live their life like they are in prison. Just saying.......

My thoughts exactly, no one should have to live like a prisoner, risking their lives and the lives
of loved ones.To me it's not worth it.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
It is not nice to live in fear. But it is what it is...so easy to get a gun in the U.S., legally or otherwise. When you have 12 yr old kids running around with AK47s, arming oneself is not exactly unreasonable. If someone breaks in while I am home, I would rather be with a few exploding tips than without. Given a choice, I would rather the life put MOST at risk be that of the scum that breaks in while I am there. Just sayin'...

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
While I can sympathize with your plight I cannot understand why you would wish to live under these conditions....you make it sound like a war zone and you being an outsider cannot win such a war unless al your problems are coming from the Haitians.

I lived in Cofresi for 5 years without a single problem and the moved to Santiago where I have lived for the past 7 years and have experienced one major problem.... an attempted home invasion by a Haitian gang which resulted in 3 of them being killed although they beheaded my prize dog. This happened 2 years ago and there has been no further incidents in this neighborhood which is home to some of the richest men in Santiago as well as home to some serious politicians.

I wish you every success in finding a solution but your posts seem to be very pessimistic which is why I question your wish to continue living there.