"What about your saucepans?" update

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i cannot thank you enough. this deserves to be an international bestseller. with the correct exposure, it would be.

Am trying to expose myself! Interestingly most of the review sites all want money - and there are hundreds of them. But little by little. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book - thanks for buying it.

It's a great book and hard to put down. I read it in one day a couple of months ago. I'm now hoping and waiting for a What about yours Saucepans 2.

I have to say that I honestly admire you, Matilda. I can't imagine anyone going through everything you went through and still loving this country.

The things I love about the country haven't changed and I was never going to let a few bad apples make me leave. The landscape and the weather are glorious, and in the most part the people are amazing. I now live way up in the mountains in a tiny campo and have the best of the scenery, the weather and the people. I honestly can't think of a better place in the world to live. Thanks for buying the book!

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hi Lindsey. It's clear from your interview why you had success in the UK and why you've been able to make a comeback now. I agree, you are a natural storyteller. It is a skill that is underrated. My family and I will be setting up tent in the DR this coming February. You're storytelling is an ongoing inspiration to my wife. She says that the only serious friendship that she's looking forward to developing is the one with you :) Stay tuned, as we will, and keep up the good work.

Would love to be friends with your wife! Tell her to escape from her tent and come and see me in the mountains.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Am trying to expose myself! Interestingly most of the review sites all want money - and there are hundreds of them. But little by little. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book - thanks for buying it.

The things I love about the country haven't changed and I was never going to let a few bad apples make me leave. The landscape and the weather are glorious, and in the most part the people are amazing. I now live way up in the mountains in a tiny campo and have the best of the scenery, the weather and the people. I honestly can't think of a better place in the world to live. Thanks for buying the book!

Matilda

i did myself a favor by making the trip to Sosua. may the force be with you, always.

Dec 26, 2011
I loved the book. I especially enjoyed the anecdote about the kids selling one avocado for five pesos or two for fifteen. :)

I don't understand the trust you placed in the Dominican political process. Not one little bit. But I trust you're cured of that by now.

To your new simple life enjoying the best parts of RD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Matilda

i am happy to say that i successfully importuned two of my visiting friends to buy a copy of the book, using a real simple gambit, to wit; lending them my copy for half an hour, each, then refusing to promise to lend them when i am done reading it.. that sent them into the clutches of Amazon.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i am happy to say that i successfully importuned two of my visiting friends to buy a copy of the book, using a real simple gambit, to wit; lending them my copy for half an hour, each, then refusing to promise to lend them when i am done reading it.. that sent them into the clutches of Amazon.

Fabulous - thanks so much!

Mat

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Bought the kindle version today...let's see if it makes me change my mind to go back to Europe...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it has become my crusade to see as many of these books sold as i can. just had 3 friends buy a copy today, plus one Kindle copy...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
it has become my crusade to see as many of these books sold as i can. just had 3 friends buy a copy today, plus one Kindle copy...

Fabulous thanks so much. Have checked sales stats and the book is now at the highest position it has been in the US. Number 108,631 in Kindle sales out of over a million Kindle books (number 37 in books about the Caribbean) and number 483,355 in book sales out of over 8 million (number 87 in books about the Caribbean). Not far to go to reach number one!
Thanks again gorgon.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Fabulous thanks so much. Have checked sales stats and the book is now at the highest position it has been in the US. Number 108,631 in Kindle sales out of over a million Kindle books (number 37 in books about the Caribbean) and number 483,355 in book sales out of over 8 million (number 87 in books about the Caribbean). Not far to go to reach number one!
Thanks again gorgon.

Matilda

my pleasure.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Matilda,
It is an interesting book to read and almost as if you are telling the story to a small group of people sitting round a camp fire. But I think you have only just lifted the "lids" and have much more to say. I am privilaged to have a signed copy at your book launch at Rocky's and to meet you once again.
So I look forward to the sequal - and looking a Redul's thread I would say one is not far behind.
Great Stats on kindle etc.

Olly and the Team

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Now I don't mean to be insulting but I just finished your book and I cannot believe any non-Dominican could get themselves in such a crazy situation as you did.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks you were wacko to delve into politics here and put you life in danger so many times. If you were trying to tell an inspirational story you failed with me. It was well written though.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you for buying the book in the first place and thank you for saying it was well written. I was not trying to tell an inspirational story, I was just telling like it happened to me. I didn't try and put myself into crazy situations, nor did my husband try to put us into them either. I was shot as the people who shot me (7 years ago today) thought that there was a lot of money in the house. And as far as politics is concerned neither he nor I thought that things would turn out the way they did. But I hope that the book would show what can happen in this country and also show that not all Dominicans are bad. I still love it here despite what happened. Thank you again for buying and reading the book.

Matilda

RGLRM

Jun 25, 2013
I purchased it on Amazon. It is a great book and a must read for anyone that wants to gain an understanding of the DR. I wish you continued success and happiness. You deserve it.

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Great book, great interview and even though I have only spoken with Lindsay via DR1, great lady.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Kudos Matilda.... I already have MY copy and can't wait to finish it. Where in Punta Cana or who is the contact there for a signed copy perhaps?

I think there are still some left at the Impresion Islena Gift Shop in the San Juan shopping centre, but I don't know how much they charge. Unsigned I am afraid, but I will try to get to Punta Cana at some stage.

Matilda