what are somethings you gave up

Status
Not open for further replies.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...24/7 luz..."

Yep, I gave that up too, until I found it again here in Bavaro...

...well, lets say 24/7/363 to be fair...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
- do the weekly supermarket shopping and take many not strictly necessary things and end up below 100 euros.

- being around people that at least try to consider each other

- grey days for basically half of the year

- feeling 'at home' at home. This probably needs some elaboration: I'm actually happy with the place where I live in but for some reason I haven't found any house or apartment that feels like a real home. I have been thinking what could it be that makes me think like that, maybe it has to do that in 95% of the dominican houses you open the front door and you stand right in the living room, I do miss the coziness of a european home, here I always feel I am half living outside. Can't explain it really well.

- having an organized life. In my homecountry daily life is more organized. Dinner is earlier and I don't feel tired in the evening. There, after coming home from work, we would have dinner at about 6, children to bed at 7 and still a whole evening until 11 or 12. Here in DR for some reason things that should be done in the afternoon dont take place until 4 or 5 o clock (lunch is late as well) going out for the smallest thing takes a lot of time due to traffic, dinner at 7, children to bed at 8 and then I fall asleep on the couch, I guess the weather wears me out. Can also be the difference between living in a small town and a big city.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I gave up people less concerned about family than "stuff" and the meme that oldsters were just in the way.

I gave up crass consumerism and keeping up with the Joneses.

I gave up television and the Zombies it creates.

I gave up insolent, spoiled, unappreciative societal spawn.

But the things I miss are good beef, my hot jacuzzi and Thai restaurants.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I gave up people less concerned about family than "stuff" and the meme that oldsters were just in the way.

I gave up crass consumerism and keeping up with the Joneses.

I gave up television and the Zombies it creates.

I gave up insolent, spoiled, unappreciative societal spawn.
So, you actually LEFT DR?

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
i was just wondering about the things that you all have given up after moving to dr or when you go to dr for a vacation. good or bad don't matter share all.

please dont let this become a pro/anti Obama argument thread my last one on sources of income was closed because of it thanks.
:classic:

I gave up job opportunities that pay 5-10 times what they get paid here. I gave up tap water that I could drink. I gave up being able to go to low crime areas and not needing to be on guard. In the DR, crime happens anywhere at anytime. In the USA, they have places worse than the DR but they are always near areas with low crime rates.

I gave up being around very mean people in new york city and the nyc area (the meanest city in the world). I gave up being in a country where racism is so strong that many people identify with their color before they identify with their country in many cases. I gave up these women who only wanted to play games with me and my time all the time. I gave up super high costs of living in nyc that would make a first world doctor live they are poor in many cases.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
When I first moved here I thought this was going to be a big list for me. But I was up for the change and the challenge. When I first got here the list was a bit long, but that was because I didn't speak Spanish well and didn't know where to find a lot of things. The truth is we have almost everything here that we had back in the States, but it may be harder to find it and in less quantity so you will have to look a bit. Now that I have learned where everything is I can say the only thing I really miss is going to a live football game. Of course those are only a plane ticket away, but that makes it a much more expensive and time consuming thing to do and isn't worth it. I also miss going to the movie theatre, but that is not a problem in the entire DR, that is just a problem where I live. I have gone to the movies when visiting folks in Santo Domingo and in Santiago and Punta Cana.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I wonder if he knows what a "Toto" is here in the DR??
That's the one thing not is short supply here in the DR!
AND cheap too!
"2010", it is just a "DR1 Urban Myth", that there is a "prize" for making over 200 posts in 2 days here!!!!!!!!
Try for more "Quality", and less "Quantity"!
The old internet trick to build post count is to ask a foolish rhetorical question, then just keep answering it, YOURSELF!
Maybe you are a "Toto" after all?????
Cris CULON
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I lived in Boston for 25 years, North End, "Easta Boston", Revere, lots of great Italian food.
I find a lot of great Italian Restaurants here in the DR!!!!!!
Most run by, and cooked by, REAL Italians!!!
There are Good "Canolis" here,Subs & Steak, I go back to BOSTON!
Then I also can have GREAT Sea Food!!!!!

Last edited:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
beer in DR is three times more than in poland...

Sorry dv8, this survey says its around the same price for a pint of draft beer, vs a presidente grande. I personally prefer bottle vs draft.

Cheapest beer in Europe ? Check my Europe Cheap Beer Index -

Back on subject, I gave up hunting, and hockey. Can still see a few games of hockey here, but no hunting, unless you want to hunt for a chicka, and usually the hunter turns out to be the hunted.......

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
All of these post are good but they are just words on a screen, reading "no 24/7 lights" is totally different until you experience it. You will never hear a term that even remotely resemble "Civil Rights" in the Dominican Republic. You like those three numbers in case of an emergency 911? well in DR 911 is not valued as high as it is in USA.

Talking on your cell phone while driving in DR is illegal, but women selling their body is legal. Have you ever heard the term " Health Code violation" in the USA?? Do you know what a "Health Code Violation" is in DR??? You don't?? Don't feel bad NOBODY knows.

Half of the things Dominicans get away with in DR will get them locked up or a hefty fine in the USA. Life is very hard in DR and most people make a list of trivial things and leave out the MAJOR things you will give up if you make the Dominican Republic your new home.

BTW Watch how women are treated and valued in DR compared to the USA

Also I HATE "road construction" with a passion and the season is about to begin, but I see what happens to a place where streets, roads and highways are not maintained.

Rock, Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Country, Jazz, Alternative Rock, Heavy Metal music and other types I did not mention gives a large range of different types of music in the USA, now in DR you have some of the worst music Bachata, Reggaton, Merengue and it is cool when you are a tourist but wait until you live around it BTW I forgot about that "Dembow" BULLSH*t

If you want a chill latin country to move to, head to Costa Rica;) I will change your user name for you "usa2cr

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Talking on your cell phone while driving in DR is illegal, but women selling their body is legal. Have you ever heard the term " Health Code violation" in the USA?? Do you know what a "Health Code Violation" is in DR??? You don't?? Don't feel bad NOBODY knows.

Talking on cell phones while driving is WAY more dangerous and kills way more people per year than humping a chica.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Talking on cell phones while driving is WAY more dangerous and kills way more people per year than humping a chica.

I did not say "texting" This became a MAJOR law because of the money cities, and states make because of the fines. When I was in High School do you have any idea how many kids will killed in a car carsh and not one cell phone was found in the car. Car crashes have been a major problem even before cell phones were invented.

BTW 95% of drivers still talk on their cell phones while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.