What can kids eat here?!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chennifer, i just looked at a small maizena box we have at home and it says: ingrediente: fecula de maiz. nothing more. :(

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Umm.. look for harina negrito, none of them come with sugar inside if I can remember... It's the same thing as cream of wheat for 1/4 of the cost. Your child will be much healthier here since products are so much higher quality, I'm referring to produce and meat products in general. My 7 month old is breastfed but we also add purees of different types of fruits that are available locally, her favorites so far are mango, papaya (lechosa), apple (not local), and pineapple.

If you are really hell-bent on the ground corn type breakfast (arguably quite unhealthy), there is polenta/grits is most major supermarkets , both the white and yellow varieties, which are both ground corn preparations.

Regarding Rica orange juice, don't drink that JUNK, it's just orange juice made from concentrate. Buy your own wonderful oranges from the supermarket for 50 pesos for a huge bag and make your own.. Rica is the same thing as tropicana, both overprocessed junk.

Bravo sells fresh squeezed orange juice but unless you really have no way to squeeze your own I HIGHLY suggest it.

Milk : This is a weird subject because honest to God Listamilk is my favorite milk on the planet.. i absolutely love it but I think that's because I grew up on the powdered UHT milk.. Fresh milk is much easier to find here than in the US but it's too creamy for my taste.. Good luck and have fun raising that baby!

This is the polenta I was referring to .. Roland Food Online Store

Not to mention sometimes I wish I lived in the capital for the availability of products you have there.. Have a sandwich at barra payan for me!

LOL. Chennifer have been talking about Barra Payan for ages, so I guess I'll have to take here there soon just to get it out of her system.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you are in santo domingo and still find you are having trouble finding it, go to the Bravo in coral mall, autopiste San isidro. It is the very last thing on the first isle at the back beside the fridges but on the left, right infront of the chuletas in the centre of the isle. We buy it for our daughter, there is nothing added at all. It's very cheap and not commercially bagged, just a clear plastic bag with a little price tag, tisall.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Chennifer, years ago they used to sell harina de platano, basically dried plantains
grind into a powder, just like the oatmeal powder. I don't now if they still sell it
but if you can find it just cook it like regular hot cereal.(porridge)

May 29, 2006
Carbohydrates and sugar are not the same thing. Sugar is a carbohydrate but something like oats is pure carbohydrate but has no sugar at all. All carbohydrates are eventually processed into glucose which is fuel for ever cell in the human body.

Meanwhile, many people think fruit and fruit juice is "sugar free," but they are sweet due to fructose. Fructose is much harder for the body to break down than sucrose. Aside from the vitamin C, there is almost no nutritional difference between a soda sweetened with corn syrup and apple juice. Coconut water is considered to be the healthiest beverage you can have and it's readily available in the DR.

Aside from oats, rice and cornmeal, you can also look for dried split peas and other pulses, such as lentils. Pulses cook quicker than beans and are also easier to digest. Pulses will have higher protein content.

Your biggest concerns should be B complex and vitamin D. Adults will get plenty of vitamin D being in the sun, but a baby is going to be sheltered from it. Pharmacies sell a B-complex syrup for kids as an appetite stimulant. I recommend it not just for kids, but for adults as well.

I'm also concerned that without milk, the baby's diet will be deficient in fat. Some fat is vital to proper nerve function and development. About half of the calories in breast milk are from fat, and the balance is a small amount of protein and the rest is mostly Galactose, or milk sugar.

I really wonder where you are getting your information on nutrition. Avoiding too much salt is fine and well, but the body also needs electrolytes to function. Potassium is available in Bananas, Plantains, OJ and esp in Papayas, but some table salt is needed for sodium and in the tropics, it can be a concern to get enough of it. Please do some research. Babies have died from parents trying to impose their dietary myths on their kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html?_r=0

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Dv8 - on the side it says carbohydrates - 9 g/10 g maizena ...

Sorry gorgon did not mean to dislike your post :/

Ok Chennifer now I see your confusion, in North America on nutritional facts all carbohydrates are listed on the package.. this does not mean that the product contains additional sugar.. Any corn based product contains natural carbohydrates that are in the corn.. same goes for flour, rice, and basically almost everything except for pure protein (chicken breast for example) or pure fat (vegetable oil).

In your opinion does an apple contain sugar? Well nutritionally it contains a ton but the sugar is pure fructose so it is not processed the same as something like corn syrup.. it's actually quite healthy in my opinion.

Sorry about this confusion but a friend from Finland had the same issue, carbohydrates does not mean added sugar, it means naturally occuring sugars which are healthy.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I think that Chennifer's concern is the carbohydrate found in most of the food which does
turn into sugar once it's consumed in the body. It's okay as long as it's in moderation.

Consuming too much carbohydrate is no good for anyone either.

Chennifer like Chirimoya suggested check out the health food store. It may be expensive
but since you are concerned that your baby might be getting too much sugar in his diet, I think
it's worth it.:)

May 29, 2006
Ok Chennifer now I see your confusion, in North America on nutritional facts all carbohydrates are listed on the package.. this does not mean that the product contains additional sugar.. Any corn based product contains natural carbohydrates that are in the corn.. same goes for flour, rice, and basically almost everything except for pure protein (chicken breast for example) or pure fat (vegetable oil).

In your opinion does an apple contain sugar? Well nutritionally it contains a ton but the sugar is pure fructose so it is not processed the same as something like corn syrup.. it's actually quite healthy in my opinion.

Sorry about this confusion but a friend from Finland had the same issue, carbohydrates does not mean added sugar, it means naturally occuring sugars which are healthy.

The fructose in an apple is exactly the same as in a soda. But there is much less of it and the fiber in the apple helps offset the sugar content by slowing down digestion.

If you have an hour and half to kill and want to know about sugars, check out this lecture:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

It's a bit dense at times with the biochemistry, but the bottom line is too much of any sugar, including from fruit juices is bad for you.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think what you call valling is pap in Dutch, which in Spanish would be harina de negrito. It's not as good as the European but close to it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Salts and sugars occur naturally in most foods. The standard advice in the UK is zero added sugar or salt for the first year - it's not a faddy thing.
It's about training the palate as well as nutrition:
If you give babies very salty or sweet food and drink when they are little, then they will get used to these tastes and are likely to find healthier food bland in comparison.
Giving your baby different healthy foods & flavours means they're more likely to eat well later

This page also says no cow's milk or honey until after the child's first birthday.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The fructose in an apple is exactly the same as in a soda. But there is much less of it and the fiber in the apple helps offset the sugar content by slowing down digestion.

If you have an hour and half to kill and want to know about sugars, check out this lecture:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

It's a bit dense at times with the biochemistry, but the bottom line is too much of any sugar, including from fruit juices is bad for you.

I've watched it but I stand firm in my opinion that naturally occuring fructose does not affect the body the same as highly highly processed high fructose corn syrup. Very interesting video though, I've watched it a few times and have even used the ketogenic diet in weight loss.

May 29, 2006
Salts and sugars occur naturally in most foods. The standard advice in the UK is zero added sugar or salt for the first year - it's not a faddy thing.
It's about training the palate as well as nutrition:

Giving your baby different healthy foods & flavours means they're more likely to eat well later

This page also says no cow's milk or honey until after the child's first birthday.

I haven't advocated adding sugar of any kind.

That's quite a difference from the American pediatric diet, which has baby formulas that are essentially milk shakes. I would be less concerned over sodium in Britain, but the heat in the DR kind of puts it on the table. I got salt depleted once working in a 110? factory and it's like getting a bad hangover along with dry heaves and nausea. A bag of corn chips and I was feeling fine again in half an hour.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't advocated adding sugar of any kind.

That's quite a difference from the American pediatric diet, which has baby formulas that are essentially milk shakes. I would be less concerned over sodium in Britain, but the heat in the DR kind of puts it on the table. I got salt depleted once working in a 110? factory and it's like getting a bad hangover along with dry heaves and nausea. A bag of corn chips and I was feeling fine again in half an hour.
I followed that advice and my son never had any problems. He was in the DR from the age of four months onwards, by which time he was on formula, not breast milk.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Yes, in Sweden they write out the carbohydrates and then write how much of them are sugar. Since they don't do that here, and he has been getting so much sugar I'd rather stay away from things im not sure of and try to find a healthier option.

PeterInBrat I get my information from the children's hospital in Gothenburg, Sweden - where my mother in law works, so we are always updated. You might have a different view on what children should and shouldn't eat, but every country is different and relies on different studies. I prefer Sweden's over the US since it's what I'm used to, and what to me sounds healthier. It might be weird to you, but that's that

What I'm asking for is what healthy options are there for breakfast, and I got some great answers :) otherwise, I'm not interested in opinions about what our son eats, we are very well informed on what is good for him - just need to find the Dominican options :)

Sayanora I prefer he gets his sugar from fruit than soda, knowing they both contain sugar - but since he gets fruit and other foods with sugar he doesn't need extra for breakfast.
Chirimoya and bronzeallspice that's exactly what I'm talking about :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we were shopping in jose luis today and i looked at all the kids stuff, did not see farina. maybe la sirena or playero store it. i suggest you put some interest in bravo supermarket in santiago, they have a large selection of imported food, including healthy, organic stuff that may spark your interest.

i have no kids so no opinion as to how to treat them except some nice ideas i picked up reading "oliver twist". i could share few tips on discipline, if you are interested ;) and as far as the food i thing bread and water work fine ;)