What can kids eat here?!

May 29, 2006
Dv8 - on the side it says carbohydrates - 9 g/10 g maizena ...

Sorry gorgon did not mean to dislike your post :/

Carbohydrate is not the same as sugar. If it's not fat or protein or alcohol and it has calories, it's a carbohydrate. I think there may be a language issue here. All sugars are carbohydrate but not all carbohydrates are sugar. A potato is all carbohydrate.

If you want to avoid carbohydrate, you could feed the kid bacon and rum, but I wouldn't advise it.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
PeterInBrat, you are right, not all carbohydrates are sugar - I think everyone else is clear on this and that I'm not trying to get rid of all carbohydrates. I'm used to having it plain on the box how much of the carbohydrates ARE sugars - no language issue, you're just going on and on about something that we've already stated isn't the same thing. As I've alreayde "said" - since they don't write it out Ii'm looking for options we know are healthy.

May 29, 2006
Well along with Oatmeal, there is also Cream of Wheat. I would think you could get it in a cooked cereal section in the bigger cities.

1932001379_full.jpg

Nutrition(no sugars)
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cereals, CREAM OF WHEAT, instant, prepared with water, with salt, (wheat)

Do you have a babyfood mill? It can save a lot of money. It's basically a hand cranked food processor.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
A potato is all carbohydrate.

Not quite true Peter IB.

About one part protein to ten parts carb, and even a smidgen of fat.
Otherwise the Irish could not have lived on them for so long.

May 29, 2006
A potato is all carbohydrate.

Not quite true Peter IB.

About one part protein to ten parts carb, and even a smidgen of fat.
Otherwise the Irish could not have lived on them for so long.

Yes there is a bit of protein. I've heard milk and potatoes is all you need to have a complete diet, which is what the Irish lived on. Odd thing about the potato was it took a long time for it to catch on, esp in France.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For our kids and now grand kids we bought plain yogurt, then mixed in mashed fresh fruits or natural cereals. Unsweetened applesauce is a good mixer too. Like gorgon suggested, the blender is your friend in DR.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Chennifer - my kids didn't do milk at all (son BFed until 18months and daughter until 2yrs) but, we find now that the best tasting milk is the CRECIMIENTO by nestle. It's more expensive, but the kids like it better than the others. They also drink straight cows milk that's been simmered for awhile. Dominican kids drink milk like it's going out of style, but it's definitely not necessary (or even good for them) as long they are getting their calcium intake (cheese, yogurt, etc...). Oh, and my husband used to make the kids fruit juice with oatmeal powder, if the fruit was sweet enough there was no need to add sugar - just some fruit, milk and oatmeal powder. yum.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
LaTeacher, thanks! I wish I could've breastfed that long too, especially moving here it would've made things easier as was what I had planned. But I'm gonna get some oatmeal powder! Exactly what they are saying in Sweden too, that aside from cheese and yoghurt, pure milk is too much when they are that small :)

May 29, 2006
You can also blend regular oats dry in a blender or in some water just before cooking it.

Had a friend who couldn't eat wheat so I'd make him oatmeal cookies with ground oatmeal.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are several brands of imported powdered milk sold here.
Denmark, and New Zea Land are in that group.
Try the "Health Food" section of Super Mercado national.
My kids eat a typical "Dominican Diet".
Salt, Sugar, Fat, and every refined carbohydrate known to man!
"Yun, Yun"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC