What do you do with your dogs?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I know of a good litter coming up in Dec/Jan in RD.

I have one from a previous litter, Belgian/German Shepherd cross.

dv8, one of my dogs(yrs ago) ate bananas

Please keep me updated on these litters coming in as I will be in the country in need by that time. Cheers!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, my dogs thrive on pricesmart food. they also get all kinds of scraps, from leftovers of cat food, bones, veggies, water/oil from tuna cans, sardinas and so on.
when i make cheese they get to drink whey - pure protein. when i make fish i use heads and spine to make broth, sieve it, add any meat i can peel off from fish bones and give that to the goggies too.
after i cook or roast meat i add a little water onto the pan, scrap burn meat and fat and pour it over their food.
i think they get anough of everything.

and i give them perlas de bacalao (cod liver oil in gel capsules).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We feed our rottie Campion brand dog food, cost is about 900 (950??) pesos for a big bag (40 pounds??). He eats like a horse. Bag doesn't last a month. We originally bought it in the mercado on 30 de Mayo/malecon in SD, and then found out the cost was exactly the same price right near our house, and they'll deliver it. That's important when we're not there.

How much is the dog food at Pricesmart?

When we're there we try not to give him too much table food, because when we're not there he only gets dog food.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dog food for pricesmart is about 800 pesos per 18kg (40lb) bag. we buy a few in one go. it is important to feed big dog like this once a day. by the time our beauties get food they are so hungry they don't care much what it is. :)

they do not care anyway. rottie is a pure force of destruction. ours cannot have toys. the neighbour feels sorry for them and throws them an occasional squeaky toy. they eat it. they eat golf balls too (i race them to the ball when it gets shot inside our garden). they play with fallen coconuts throwing them in the air until they break, then lick the water, scrap the flesh and shred the remains into pieces :(

my in laws have a daughter of our rottie. their other dogs are normal so there is always food available, all day. when fifi saw that she ate all the food. and then the bowl. followed by a t-shirt pulled from a washing line. and a small palm tree. my mother in law was mortified :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no, my dogs thrive on pricesmart food. they also get all kinds of scraps, from leftovers of cat food, bones, veggies, water/oil from tuna cans, sardinas and so on.
when i make cheese they get to drink whey - pure protein. when i make fish i use heads and spine to make broth, sieve it, add any meat i can peel off from fish bones and give that to the goggies too.
after i cook or roast meat i add a little water onto the pan, scrap burn meat and fat and pour it over their food.
i think they get anough of everything.

and i give them perlas de bacalao (cod liver oil in gel capsules).

next lifetime i am coming back as your dog

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Thanks for all of the comments. It's nice to see that it doesn't get too hot (or too cold, ha!) that they can stay outside so that eliminates the need for having a pet door.

Any issue with keeping them out of pools :p !
My dog hates water so no problem there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
next lifetime i am coming back as your dog

:) :) :)
i even give them an occasional squeeze and a kiss :)

and yes, they have a good life. we really care for our animals, they are a part of a family. i am not one of those freaks who put a pair of shoes on the dog and get it a santa outfit (but seeing our rotties dressed as santa would be something). i know they are animals. but this is no reason to mistreat them. our goggies do get a kick in the butt when they get too close to a tasty morsel of chicken s**t but i am pretty much sure they don't feel it that much :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
they play with fallen coconuts throwing them in the air until they break, then lick the water, scrap the flesh and shred the remains into pieces :(

I'm glad to see my old girl isn't the only one that does that. She even went as far as to drink the coconut water from the maintenance guy's glass once when his back was turned. Poor guy didn't even have the chance to put in the Brugal... Now whenever they're cutting down the coconuts, he always keeps one aside for her. She loooovvess to eat the meat and then the Chihuahuas pick up the pieces lol

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I live in the city, on the third floor and have a medium small Shihtzu blend who is both paper trained and outdoor trained.

She is fine with whatever I want to do although we do go out once a day when she hollers up to all the little dogs who do not leave their apartments. I am amazed at how many dog prisoners there are here !!!

But we have balconies.... and i think all of them have people most of the day or more than one small dog.

Makes for great security.

I feed her expensive imported kibble topped with home made tidbits. She likes to eat a bit of whatever I am having. She is also crazy for eggplant parmesan. My chicken soup is her favorite. I have even now started to buy her the expensive cans.

Yes, I observed with horror, I have become the older woman who cooks for her doggie.

At least I do not clothe her.

She has to have a bath at least twice a month.. which is not her favorite thing

And a deep hairbrushing every three days or so,, which she loves.

She comes with me to the market and waits outside with the flower sellers. When I come out after a half hour or so, she jumps up and howls... I pay her extra for this.

She knows all the street dogs in the neighborhood and has profound friendly relations with all of them.

She can walk most of Independencia without her leash on, healing to command.

She is three now and has the first cloth toy that she ever had. She has five cloth toys, two dogs, a bear, a sunshine, and a giraffe. She will move them around the house and leave them there. Not one of them even has a torn ear.

I think that it is the most successful relationship that I have ever had.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for all of the comments. It's nice to see that it doesn't get too hot (or too cold, ha!) that they can stay outside so that eliminates the need for having a pet door.

Any issue with keeping them out of pools :p !
My dog hates water so no problem there.

One of mine walks right down the steps into the pool after playing hard.

They all adjust to the climate.

My friend just brought in an Akita....seems to like the tropics !! So far

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Most of my dogs live outside. The pup and the chi are able to come through the bars and sleep inside. I keep an eye on those two pups because they need to change teeth and that is always a very bad period...for my furniture haha.
Recently my oldest Malinois Acira is not happy anymore to be outside with the pack and since she turned 8 last month and is the matriarch of the pack, she sleeps inside these day's. Has her own seat to sleep in but well deserved.

Our dogs are all active working dogs so a lot of energy that is given a way out by going frequently to the beach where they can run to their harts content and we started to give obedience lessons so every dog gets his turn to be at my side when I give the lessons.

Running across the beach and teaching is still not enough for my dogs but we do a sport called Dogfrisbee and if there is one way to get your dog very satisfied and very fast tired then try dogfrisbee.

I don't have picky eaters, maybe the most picky ones are the aussies but recently we were offered a new dogfood and they seem to like it. Still a kibble but as many posters know here, I am a big fan of Barfen so whenever possible I try to feed them raw meat and bones.

I cannot keep my dogs out of the swimming pool, they love to swim and I teach them from pup on because it is a real good exercise for the whole body but when we build our new home, they will have no access anymore to our swimming pool because swimming together with 6 dogs and a few on the side barking is not my idea of having a relaxing swim :cheeky:
We will make sure they have either their own pool or natural pool to swim how long they want once we decide which piece of land we want to buy.
And for Acira a much deeper one because in her silly old day's she started a new hobby, drops her Kong in the pool and dives after it. She really loves it and swims sometimes completely under water...never to old to learn she thinks ;)

Acira

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Did you ever find a slaughterhouse, Acira, for you offal?

I haven't been looking for it yet but I have the info that CC gave me and one of these day's I am going to make the trip to see what I can have in this country to set out a descent Barfen menu for all dogs.
The reason that I haven't done it yet is that I have to have at least two big freezers to stash everything and since we are still renting, that is not an option right now but in the new building plans, the freezers and preparation station are already incorperated.
For now, I buy raw chickens, ask the butchers in the regions what they have in stock (liver, hart. kidney's and other stuff) so from time to time the dogs have their raw meat day.

Acira

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
No, William, but sometimes the German butcher gives us offal if he has it, and very nice dogbones. And on top of this, he does not want any money for it either.

The new dogfood is of a much higher quality than Campeon or Alican, and when calculated per pound, is the same price. You also have to give a lot less (our big malinois ate 4 big cups of Alican, and now eats 2 1/2 cups of the new stuff)

I buy directly from the importer.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our dogs cannot care less. they used to eat eukanuba, then alican and finally pricesmart because there is two of them and they are as big as cows.

one thing fro sure, you need money to have animals. ours eat minimum 2000 pesos a month. plus meds (for epileptic kitty), plus vacunas, plus frontline... the only good thing is they don't have to be sent to bilingual school :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We turn around 6000 pesos per month at the moment, the biggest eaters are the Malinois because they have a lot of energy to burn. The aussies eat somewhat less because they can dose their energy better (smarter then the Malinois :))
And then there is of course the chi...big mouth to feed ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
our dogs cannot care less. they used to eat eukanuba, then alican and finally pricesmart because there is two of them and they are as big as cows.

one thing fro sure, you need money to have animals. ours eat minimum 2000 pesos a month. plus meds (for epileptic kitty), plus vacunas, plus frontline... the only good thing is they don't have to be sent to bilingual school :)

You'd be surprised how many people in the US/Can have to give up their dogs after they become full sized.
Puppies are cute, dogs are expensive.
RD costs for meds, Frontline, etc are WAY less.... Neutering in NoAmerica is hundreds of $$$