What is dominican culture ?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
This thread is doomed by the two very different meanings of the word "culture". Posters are already comparing apples with oranges.

"Culture" to those from Europe popularly means things which are "cultured" like the items which Hiram listed in his OP.

"Culture" to sociologists and anthropologists means (more or less) the way people live, regardless of their social position or educational status.

Those from countries and classes which are seriously deficient in items from the first category tend to use the latter definition, either through unawareness or an inferiority complex.
And those who write dictionaries too:

Culture
a : the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations

b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life} shared by people in a place or time (popular culture, southern culture)

So in short, the OP would be wrong on both accounts.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No culture? It's all over the place! Culture is what makes people tick, the evolution of their heritage.

Even in the states there is a regional variance of culture.

"Opera" does not equate to "culture." And to many Dominicans, meringue and bachata are as "cultured" as Chopin.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
No culture? It's all over the place! Culture is what makes people tick, the evolution of their heritage.

Even in the states there is a regional variance of culture.

"Opera" does not equate to "culture." And to many Dominicans, meringue and bachata are as "cultured" as Chopin.
In short culture is as diversified as it people, very hard to explain, crafts, beliefs, dress, etc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not particularly a fan of " culture" however I know a number of poets, authors, painters, and other artists in the Jarabacoa region. I like many aspects of Dominican culture such as the food, mannerisms, respect for the old...etc.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Bob, I fear u misunderstand the true meaning of culture , It is primarily the things one generation deems valuable enough to pass on to the next generation be it diet, custom, costume, crafts ,religion etc. not necessarily poetry , theater etc. It is tradition of values

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
And what does a painting of Diego Rivera who is Mexican has to do with Dominican paintings and artists?

If you think that those paintings expressions that you see selling in a street corner or a shack is all there is about Dominican artists and their work I must say that your knowledge in Dominican art is very limited.

Pish posh, horse feathers! Show me what you are talking about.

I posted Rivera because I dont think most of what I see has gone past 1930s New World expressionism. If you see better stuff post it.

6663900898000039.jpg

La Morena de Juan Vera

6932893885208170.jpg

Haciendo amigos/inocencia bendita de Juan Luis PortoReal Tavarez

Oil painting by Ruddy Taverez
5240554899192339.jpg

raices africana by Yunior Perez.
1441824990781323.jpg

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
yes , the paintings are beautiful and yes, they contribute greatly to a culture but only a small part of the overall scheme of things

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
yes , the paintings are beautiful and yes, they contribute greatly to a culture but only a small part of the overall scheme of things

Get in where you fit in bro. I like paintings. Post others if you see them. Surely you have a digital camera. If you see sculptures, or other media let us see it. I m talking about stuff exclusive and fostered in the Dominican Republic.

I am deep into music, but like the OP I dont see it in merengue, bachata I think so, there is alot of expression in bachata, but reggaeton? fougetabowdit! I think reggaeton just took the worse elements of rap, reggae and perico ripiao coupled them together and threw up jibberish en espanol.

Ok, I am at a loss for Dominican literature, new authors post-1991 or 21st Century. Let me know whats hot. At the Liceo Onesimo Jimenez on Calle 16 de Agosto they painted murals to Dominican authors but all, ALL of those guys have been dead at least 50 years. Which can mean a lot of things but I m assuming that either only the old literature is considered good or no new talent has been created.

Nuestro Tropico- Jose Alejandro Inoa Jimenez

1305379459469549.jpg

La Tristeza-Ciprian Ramirez

1547624767337398.jpg

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Agree, a study in extremes

AlterEgo reminds

And it's not a matter of money - I've met a lot of rather poor Dominicans with lovely manners too, although I have to admit most of them were older [50+].

it is a study in extremes. i have met some of the finest, most cultured people, in this country. on the flipside, the ones that are not, are positively savage and uncouth. easily the most boorish, brutish people, anywhere. however, there are gems out there...you just have to look in the right places.[/QU

Agree Gorgon : A study in extremes. But it still stays a study....... And most of the people living in the campo are very sweet, humble,.... but - with respect - having a conversation is very difficult.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
legendary CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :

I know there are events in Sto Dgo and Santiago..... but the level is low........ The National Symphony Orchestra,.... are nice people who want to make music, but............. To compare with the civilized cultural world is not correct.... I am only looking for responses about what people like about the Dominican culture.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Gorgon :
no chopos and their sisters. lol.
Thanks to my dominican spouse I met people from the gouvernment, academic world, political parties, middle class and also poor people from barrios and campo. I am a friend of rich and poor, if they are virtuous.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Aye Dipre...... the Republica Dominicana is not my host country...... we are partners. I put my money in the country.....
I buy.
I invest in labor and finance.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Racer : I would make an exception for Altos de Chavon. I fully agree with you. Maybe good artists are leaving the country.... and that is a sign about the cultural level of the country, when artists are leaving... ?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Racer : I would make an exception for Altos de Chavon. I fully agree with you. Maybe good artists are leaving the country.... and that is a sign about the cultural level of the country, when artists are leaving... ?

I think a music conservatory would be a great thing. If you take for example the location, in the Caribbean there are so many forms of music that everyone should be bleeding into and borrowing upon the other but people become parochial, this is OUR music, we do it OUR way with OUR sounds and OUR rules. Then they dont notice the sound is old and poorer because the young people gravitate to something else. And then one day all you have is guys playing 40 year old records.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
marisolp34 : I agree. The Dr has great artists. Altos de Chavon is a great place. But : many great dominican artists don't stay in the country. And that's a sign about the cultural level of this country. It's sad. I am not American.
The last "show" I saw en vivo was Flamenco Puro at the International Theatre Festival of Avignon in France. One week ago I saw / listened "Parsifal" from Richard Wagner at Bayreuther Festspiele.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Mister Moderator Please : Centro Leon, OK....... One centro cultural in a city of 800.000 people....... ? And the last time I visited, I was +- alone......
Occasional orchestra presentations : with respect of course,.... but the level..... ?
It's sad.
PS. I am integrated : I live in a dominican residencial in Santiago, I know people from the gouvernment, political parties, academic world etc.... I am a friend of rich and poor, if they are virtuous.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
What best cultura than to sit down with your friends and families on a Sunday have a big Sancocho and play Domino along with some Brugal Rum. Go to the beach with a bunch of friends bring some espaguitis con pollo y tostones, play domino and drink some brugal. Those are good family quality times. Go to Casa de Teatro in the Colonial Zone and listen to some live music.