What is dominican culture ?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Get in where you fit in bro. I like paintings. Post others if you see them. Surely you have a digital camera. If you see sculptures, or other media let us see it. I m talking about stuff exclusive and fostered in the Dominican Republic.

I am deep into music, but like the OP I dont see it in merengue, bachata I think so, there is alot of expression in bachata, but reggaeton? fougetabowdit! I think reggaeton just took the worse elements of rap, reggae and perico ripiao coupled them together and threw up jibberish en espanol.

Ok, I am at a loss for Dominican literature, new authors post-1991 or 21st Century. Let me know whats hot. At the Liceo Onesimo Jimenez on Calle 16 de Agosto they painted murals to Dominican authors but all, ALL of those guys have been dead at least 50 years. Which can mean a lot of things but I m assuming that either only the old literature is considered good or no new talent has been created.

Nuestro Tropico- Jose Alejandro Inoa Jimenez

1305379459469549.jpg

La Tristeza-Ciprian Ramirez

1547624767337398.jpg
Where do I fit in bro ? you seem sooooo knowledgable.....................but some folks can complicate and ice cream cone right ?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Pish posh, horse feathers! Show me what you are talking about.

I posted Rivera because I dont think most of what I see has gone past 1930s New World expressionism. If you see better stuff post it.

6663900898000039.jpg

La Morena de Juan Vera

6932893885208170.jpg

Haciendo amigos/inocencia bendita de Juan Luis PortoReal Tavarez

Oil painting by Ruddy Taverez
5240554899192339.jpg

raices africana by Yunior Perez.
1441824990781323.jpg

You must still be living in the dark ages, and why do you keep coming up with these "No Name Painters"

Here are a couple of links because you obviously don't know real dominican painters, and by this I am referring to Painters that have traveled and have exhibited their work through out the world. Unlike those pela gatos that you keep bringing up. Just keep your eyes open to catch any of these guys work in Santo Domingo or a city closest to you.

Gallery W

http://www.colorgallery.eu/home.swf

INTENSIDAD Y PLASTICIDAD DE CARLOS HINOJOSA Just click the name and check the work of any of these artists on the left side. All these artists have real credentials.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You must still be living in the dark ages, and why do you keep coming up with these "No Name Painters"

Here are a couple of links because you obviously don't know real dominican painters, and by this I am referring to Painters that have traveled and have exhibited their work through out the world. Unlike those pela gatos that you keep bringing up. Just keep your eyes open to catch any of these guys work in Santo Domingo or a city closest to you.

Gallery W

http://www.colorgallery.eu/home.swf

INTENSIDAD Y PLASTICIDAD DE CARLOS HINOJOSA Just click the name and check the work of any of these artists on the left side. All these artists have real credentials.

More horse feathers. So what you have done is turn this into a competition of who is better because they have traveled the world. As though you can only travel the world in one direction to go to one place. And only when you get there is when you are allowed to be famous.

I saw your link to Miguel Tio. I prefer Ruddy Tavarez. Carlos Hinojosa? I dont know, Jose Inoa is something I would actually hang on my wall.
Real Credentials? I dont know what those are. Real Dominican Painters? Didnt know one could monopolize being more Dominican than the next guy. And since when did fame mean you were a better artist? Andy Warhol sucked but he was with the in crowd. There were guys who designed better album covers than any museum show featuring Andy Warhol.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Racer : I would make an exception for Altos de Chavon. I fully agree with you. Maybe good artists are leaving the country.... and that is a sign about the cultural level of the country, when artists are leaving... ?
I would imagine, being well downstream of world economic problems, artists are being squeezed here and those that can leave for elsewhere.

Like anyone else.

It has NOTHING to do with culture.It hjas to do with money.

Culture isn't symphony except for the high-brow. Culture is people.

Haiti doesn't have a world-class symphony and theatre either, buit they have one HELL of a lot of culture.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That report simply gauged public opinion, not reality. You can gauge what the public opinion of any country will be on a given subject by simply watching the most recurrent theme in the local news media. It has nothing to do with reality, but all to do with perception; more so in a country like the DR.

Dominican media is not 'fair and balanced,' it's very partial along political lines and the economic interests of their owners. I'm sure many people changed their minds on Hip?lito's regime when the Baninter guys, after being pro-Hip?lito for years on all their media outlets, suddenly became against him during the banking scandal. It was a perfect example of how special interests affects what gets published/shown on TV, and how unimportant reality and objectivity is.

And for the guy (or gal) that was wondering why Cuba and Haiti ranked "better" than the DR, they didn't. Those two countries were excluded and it makes sense.

Cuba, with its paranoid dictatorial regime, is a hard place to gauge what the public truly thinks, especially when the government disapproves. It's amazing considering that in Cuba, what Fidel says is first, second and third. Well, now is Raul, but we all know Fidel is behind the whole thing.

Haiti, well it's Haiti, the simplest task is just impossible. Nuff said.

Venezuela's position is interesting, considering all the populist mumbo jumbo from Mi Comandante. I guess Venezuelans are turning a deaf ear to him, good for them! Maybe Castro got the hint from the Venezuelan example and prohibited them from doing the poll.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I would imagine, being well downstream of world economic problems, artists are being squeezed here and those that can leave for elsewhere.

Like anyone else.

It has NOTHING to do with culture.It hjas to do with money.

Culture isn't symphony except for the high-brow. Culture is people.

Haiti doesn't have a world-class symphony and theatre either, buit they have one HELL of a lot of culture.

One thing I had noticed during my several years on this forum is that when culture was mentioned one side would talk about opera etc and the other side would talk about drinking and whoring on the beach.
What I always missed in the DR was the historical culture as I have seen it in many other Latin countries. People getting dressed up in their traditional clothing, traditional dancing etc on national holidays. Something that identifies the region or the country, sorry but I haven't seen any of that in my time in the DR.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
That report simply gauged public opinion, not reality. You can gauge what the public opinion of any country will be on a given subject by simply watching the most recurrent theme in the local news media. It has nothing to do with reality, but all to do with perception; more so in a country like the DR.

Dominican media is not 'fair and balanced,' it's very partial along political lines and the economic interests of their owners. I'm sure many people changed their minds on Hip?lito's regime when the Baninter guys, after being pro-Hip?lito for years on all their media outlets, suddenly became against him during the banking scandal. It was a perfect example of how special interests affects what gets published/shown on TV, and how unimportant reality and objectivity is.

And for the guy (or gal) that was wondering why Cuba and Haiti ranked "better" than the DR, they didn't. Those two countries were excluded and it makes sense.

Cuba, with its paranoid dictatorial regime, is a hard place to gauge what the public truly thinks, especially when the government disapproves. It's amazing considering that in Cuba, what Fidel says is first, second and third. Well, now is Raul, but we all know Fidel is behind the whole thing.

Venezuela's position is interesting, considering all the populist mumbo jumbo from Mi Comandante. I guess Venezuelans are turning a deaf ear to him, good for them! Maybe Castro got the hint from the Venezuelan example and prohibited them from doing the poll.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
[/B]
One thing I had noticed during my several years on this forum is that when culture was mentioned one side would talk about opera etc and the other side would talk about drinking and whoring on the beach.
What I always missed in the DR was the historical culture as I have seen it in many other Latin countries. People getting dressed up in their traditional clothing, traditional dancing etc on national holidays. Something that identifies the region or the country, sorry but I haven't seen any of that in my time in the DR.

You said it better then me, I just would have said the DR misses a certain 'dept' in their culture which you indeed find in other Latin American countries. I wonder how that comes?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I don't know how this post ended up in this thread, was suppose to be in the one created by CC. Weird.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
[/B]

There is a reason for that. It is because the people in power dont actually reflect nor represent the general population like you see in Panama or Mexico or Colombia.