What profits are made on beer sales?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm not really a beer drinker but when I do it's either presidente light , Stella Artois , Hoegaarden or Franziskaner. Didn't know Stella was the inferior brand in belgium.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stella is just an inferior beer to me. But, I doubt anyone can tell us the profit CN makes on Presidente or Bohemia. Certainly not anyone that works in a bar.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My question was retoric. But thanks for the effort. The fact stays the same. Presidente better than Bohemia? No, and with me most of the germans. Are the ingredients for Presidente more expensive ? Don't think so. So the difference between P and B is profit.

By the way...Stella Artois is belgian's Bohemia :) Jupiler and Maes and Duvel are the brands.
Presidente is expensive because all the ingredients, save water, have to be imported by ship and require much handling to get from the growers to the the brewery.

Same with Prestige in Haiti.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Presidente is expensive because all the ingredients, save water, have to be imported by ship and require much handling to get from the growers to the the brewery.

Same with Prestige in Haiti.

And Bohemia??...please try to reason!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I'm not really a beer drinker but when I do it's either presidente light , Stella Artois , Hoegaarden or Franziskaner. Didn't know Stella was the inferior brand in belgium.

It is just what people make of it. If you are alone and drink Hoegaarden on a terrace 90% of the belgians say you are a Jeanette or pajaro, gay. Hoegaarden is for gays or girls.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And Bohemia??...please try to reason!
Not all beer is created equally in ingredients. Different malt and hop grades have different costs associated with them. Not all are created equal.

But even that brand is expensive by US standards, just less expensive that Presidente.

Besides, higher demand = higher price.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Not all beer is created equally in ingredients. Different malt and hop grades have different costs associated with them. Not all are created equal.

But even that brand is expensive by US standards, just less expensive that Presidente.

Besides, higher demand = higher price.

You yourself mentioned shipping, now it's the different ingredients? :)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I have to admit that I am(was)spoiled by having acces to dozens of micro breweries within a short driving distance; 15 min. to 1 1/2hrs. I don't drink light beer. If presidente light has a higher profit margin, I can understand why the local colmado is always out of chiquita "normal" but never out of light.������ I have also come across veteran beer drinkers here whose stomach gets upset Presidente normal. Must be an age thing.������

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You yourself mentioned shipping, now it's the different ingredients? :)
Think about it. My initial comments were targeted at Presidente.

Shipping is equal for all imported ingredients. The cost of the base raw material is not.

But shipping costs are what makes Dominican (and Haitian) beer more expensive that American or European beers who use similar ingredients.

We recently had a large malt producer from Slovakia for a week on tour, and his comments about the business side of brewing were interesting including bids for shipments to the DR.

Go to any brew supply outlet and check the prices of different malts and hops.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Think about it. My initial comments were targeted at Presidente.

Shipping is equal for all imported ingredients. The cost of the base raw material is not.

But shipping costs are what makes Dominican (and Haitian) beer more expensive that American or European beers who use similar ingredients.

We recently had a large malt producer from Slovakia for a week on tour, and his comments about the business side of brewing were interesting including bids for shipments to the DR.

Go to any brew supply outlet and check the prices of different malts and hops.

So why can you get german beer at the same price or almost the same price?
The only thing they have to import is Cebada
http://www.cnd.com.do/index.php/sobreempresa/proceso

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Erdinger is my 2nd Favorite Beer , topped only by Schneider .. both Weiss Biers ..
I was so excited when Playero Super Mercado In Sosua started stocking it like a year or so ago.. But then last time there, the beer was way beyond its Expiration date, and the cardboard Cases literally had Black Mold growing on the inside..
Seems its not moving. So I had to pass. So Sad .
Seems it is in plentiful supply in Santo Domingo however ..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So why can you get german beer at the same price or almost the same price?
The only thing they have to import is Cebada
http://www.cnd.com.do/index.php/sobreempresa/proceso
Malt and hops are the prime ingredients.

And I suspect German beer for export has a different taxation. Certainly their ingredients are less expensive as both are grown in that region.

There is also a 20% import tax on alcohol unless things have changed.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Because they grow there they are for free? :) And the tax thing ....that would be in contrary to your reasoning .
Why is it so hard to admi that 120 pesos, 3 $ for a mediocre beer is a rip-off?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Because they grow there they are for free? :) And the tax thing ....that would be in contrary to your reasoning .
Why is it so hard to admi that 120 pesos, 3 $ for a mediocre beer is a rip-off?
The shipping costs for ingredients are far, far less in Germany that from the fields in the US or Europe to the brewery in the DR.

Additionally, cans and bottles have to be imported. The power used to brew is far more expensive.

It all adds up.

Many do not consider Presidente to be a mediocre beer. I don't. I think it's a very good pilsner, especially served cold (another high cost for even a colmado.)

But you are free to believe anything you want.

Ever wonder why there is no draft beer in the DR to speak of? Costs too much to store, transport and for bars to have cold storage for kegs. The beer itself is less expensive, but that's not the only cost.

Keep in mind that I considered opening a microbrewery in the DR years ago. In fact, one of my first posts on DR1 some 13 years was regarding a microbrewery. I almost bought a bunch of equipment from a defunct Seattle microbrewery to ship to the DR.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Shipping the beer from Germany to here, or shipping the ingredients for Presidente is not the same? I give up.
Why would the power be more expensive?