What rights and obligations do you have after you apply for residence?

PetAnd

Jul 10, 2023
Punta Cana
I have a question that I think a lawyer would answer.
What rights and obligations do I have after I applied for residence?
What can I do and not do? For example: bank business, start a company, driving, traveling etc.
My application has been at migration office for 4 month now and the answer I get is, 'tranquilo'.
What I read I need to wait until it is finished before I can go out of the country, I need to go to europe for a short time.
I also want to start a business but I don't know if it is possible to work before the application is approved or denied, I don't want to invest a lot of money if I can't work in it myself.
And what about driving and other things.

PetAnd

Jul 10, 2023
Punta Cana
If your application has been at DGM for 4 months, I wouldn't be tranquilo. I'd worry about that first.
They said it is normal it take 6 to 9 month, I had my passport stamp in august.
I also talked to a guy that applied in april and not has been called for the interview yet.
I need to go to europe in late february and read that I need to start over if I leave the country before it is finished.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They said it is normal it take 6 to 9 month, I had my passport stamp in august.
I also talked to a guy that applied in april and not has been called for the interview yet.
I need to go to europe in late february and read that I need to start over if I leave the country before it is finished.
I would call DGM and confirm the processing time and if they even have my application, but that's just me. I recommended to a friend of mine to do that and he didn't. He never got residency. And he's not the only one that's happened to.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Who told you "Tranquilo" ? Your Lawyer or DGM ? If it's the DGM, than there is not much that you can do right now. If the "tranquilo" comes from your Lawyer, tell him that you meet a guy (let's call him "Jorge") and he has a wife that works at the DGM, and to help you speed up the process she needs your Case #. If your Lawyer than starts to Stutter, you might have a problem.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I'm 95% sure if you have proof that your application is in the system you can come and go as you please. As everything's now automated you can easily find your application process online, login, take a screenshot of that page, print it / save it whatever and carry it with you when you travel. If you have any hard copies of your application process take those with you too with the aforementioned copy.
They may or may not charge you the overstay fee on departure as you are not a bonafide resident. Good luck

Reactions: Manuel01

Jonas A

Nov 13, 2023
La Romana
I would call DGM and confirm the processing time and if they even have my application, but that's just me. I recommended to a friend of mine to do that and he didn't. He never got residency. And he's not the only one that's happened to.
It was DGM that told me. I also have it in their web that all document and the medical is approved.

Jonas A

Nov 13, 2023
La Romana
I'm 95% sure if you have proof that your application is in the system you can come and go as you please. As everything's now automated you can easily find your application process online, login, take a screenshot of that page, print it / save it whatever and carry it with you when you travel. If you have any hard copies of your application process take those with you too with the aforementioned copy.
They may or may not charge you the overstay fee on departure as you are not a bonafide resident. Good luck
It is not the overstay that worries me.
What others have said it that they had problem when they came back.
Some person have start the process all over again, with the embassy in your home country.

Jonas A

Nov 13, 2023
La Romana
OP - Original Poster. I was responding to PetAnd. I never saw you post anything(?). Are you just saying the same thing happened to you and you did confirm it with DGM?
The same thing happens for me too.
Peter and I both have an application sent to DGM that take a long time.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The same thing happens for me too.
Peter and I both have an application sent to DGM that take a long time.
How long have you been waiting so far? After 6 months, that friend of mine was told he had to do the FBI fingerprints over because the time limit on them expired.

Jonas A

Nov 13, 2023
La Romana
How long have you been waiting so far? After 6 months, that friend of mine was told he had to do the FBI fingerprints over because the time limit on them expired.
I apply in july but I don't know if there is different rules for europeans. I never needed to send fingerprints, only a report from the police. All papers is registrated included the medical examination in DR, since august.

Reactions: cavok

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I apply in july but I don't know if there is different rules for europeans. I never needed to send fingerprints, only a report from the police. All papers is registrated included the medical examination in DR, since august.
I'm pretty sure that the same rules apply for all nationalities except Haitians. I would have thought that if your police report was accepted at the DR Embassy in your own country, they will be accepted here.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The fingerprints are needed to get the FBI report. Surprising that European countries don't have a similar requirement,

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Some person have start the process all over again, with the embassy in your home country.
I find that hard to believe but perhaps its the way they do it, I would call migracion (T: 809.508.2555) and ask them, tell them that you have an emergency in Feb and need to leave for a couple of weeks and ask what they suggest. Remember you need to log in from time to time to check your status, that's how you know when your next appointment is, I don't believe they call or email you, you need to check in online regularly.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think the poster you're referring to was a permanent resident who left the DR and let his residency lapse for more than 6 months(?). I'm not sure if applicants can leave the DR while their residency is in process(?).