What shouldn't happen to 'a man's best friend'...

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Great job Conchman and thanks for the updated photos. He looks great. Was a real sweety of a dog. Glad to see him looking so happy...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
fantastic job, Conchman... and one lucky and happy dog...

btw... this GS with the Guinness... for god's sake, man, give the dog a straw.... try yourself to drink guinness out of a can with your tongue... lol...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
"Lucky" - he's almost 3 years old now, and weighs 70 lbs. A bit goofy, but very loyal and lovable.

p1zwl.jpg

he only has a little scar left from the wound where his mouth was wired shut and got infected with flies/maggots. Besides his smaller size (due to his abuse when he was young), and that scar, he looks like a good breed Rotty.

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Lucky

You just made my day. It's people like you who make our world a better place. Lucky is one lucky puppy now! Good job Conchman.

Brilliant news, we too rescued a Rottie and he is the most adorable dog you could meet and gives us hours of pleasure as he plays with his other 3 rescued 4 legged friends (by the way all neutered). Keep up all the excellent work all animal rescuers, we will never stop animal cruelty but we can all do our bit.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
This is all very sad. Project Isobel seeks to rescue animals, especially horses and donkeys, and bring them together with deprived children to start the education process which can gradually change attitudes to the way animals are treated. We are desperately in need of funds too, but when you see the way so many children are treated, how surprising is it that animals are treated in this way too? A two year old attached himself to me the other day. He weighed only 21lbs! We have just been dealing with a rottweiler that was shot in the ear and left to die in a pool of blood. The only way attitudes gradually change is through education and more education. I am not necessarily talking about schools, though of course they are essential. I am talking about the broader education. I have met many Dominicans who care about animals and try to treat them well. Their biggest problems are ignorance and shame about admitting their ignorance. One woman called the vet because her bitch started its season and was bleeding. At least she called the vet, but she didn't know female dogs have seasons. I have met many horse owners who didn't understand the dangers of re-using needles or that ticks carry major diseases. They thought they were just an inconvenience like a fly. As for the flies, well... that is another story. All this is about educating the people.

Believe me, cruelty happens in our own countries too. It is just that we have funded organizations to help. There are laws here to protect animals but there is no funding to enforce them or to provide for the animals. All of us who try to help the animals and children are desperately struggling for resources. In the last few weeks I have been asked to take in 5 abandoned Haitian children. I can't because I have no sponsorship. The picture is sad, very sad.

With regard to the puppy sellers, there is also a business going on between them and the putas who convince the current gringo to buy them a puppy to look after them when the gringo goes away. They then sell the puppy back to the dealer and the puppy is sold again. Beware of this.

JaraChica

Nov 9, 2011
www.squidoo.com
Sometimes I feel a little guilty about how great MY DOG has it, in fact she probably eats better than most dominicans, especially now that she is in the 'motherly' way!!!

draft_lens19083883module156567925photo_1335816589_a_.jpg

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
This is all very sad. Project Isobel seeks to rescue animals, especially horses and donkeys, and bring them together with deprived children to start the education process which can gradually change attitudes to the way animals are treated. We are desperately in need of funds too, but when you see the way so many children are treated, how surprising is it that animals are treated in this way too? A two year old attached himself to me the other day. He weighed only 21lbs! We have just been dealing with a rottweiler that was shot in the ear and left to die in a pool of blood. The only way attitudes gradually change is through education and more education. I am not necessarily talking about schools, though of course they are essential. I am talking about the broader education. I have met many Dominicans who care about animals and try to treat them well. Their biggest problems are ignorance and shame about admitting their ignorance. One woman called the vet because her bitch started its season and was bleeding. At least she called the vet, but she didn't know female dogs have seasons. I have met many horse owners who didn't understand the dangers of re-using needles or that ticks carry major diseases. They thought they were just an inconvenience like a fly. As for the flies, well... that is another story. All this is about educating the people.

Believe me, cruelty happens in our own countries too. It is just that we have funded organizations to help. There are laws here to protect animals but there is no funding to enforce them or to provide for the animals. All of us who try to help the animals and children are desperately struggling for resources. In the last few weeks I have been asked to take in 5 abandoned Haitian children. I can't because I have no sponsorship. The picture is sad, very sad.

With regard to the puppy sellers, there is also a business going on between them and the putas who convince the current gringo to buy them a puppy to look after them when the gringo goes away. They then sell the puppy back to the dealer and the puppy is sold again. Beware of this.

What a wonderful thing you, and others do to help these poor animals. When I was in Puerto Plata, outside of hotel saw this horse with buggy and man trying to entice us to go for a tour ride. NOT I became sick to my stomach, looking at abused horse in hot sun, painfully thin you could see his ribs. I went up to the man, cursed him out for treating his animal this way, and God will have to deal with him one day. ugggh, I still have that memory etched in my mind, and it has been years.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I am certainly not the only one trying to help. There are many, many of us out there doing our best. Some do much more than I can because they have more resources. If we all do our bit, gradually we will make a difference as you can see by how the number of street dogs has diminished in the Sosua area with one group's sterilization program.

We can refuse to ride a horse or in a horse drawn buggy if the animal isn't well cared for. If I ever ride a beach horse, I make them show me under the saddle to make sure there aren't any sores before I will ride the horse. I once rode six miles with my girth unleashed [not here] when the horse I was riding developed a sore at the furthest point from home! Refuse to stop in a place where the animal will be left without shade and water. If we insist, the perpetrators will gradually have to change. Learn to say no and walk away, even if it means you lose a deposit. Complain to your tour companies. We need to speak for these children and animals that have no voice, no protection. We can do it politely but with authority.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Some owners don't deserve their dogs! Others do! Thank you for being one of those.