What will change in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
I have no interest in hanging in places such as Passions. I hate giving my money to middlemen (pimps). The main draw for me to Sosua, is the feel of hanging in open air bars, having a few drinks and meet some nice girls.

Exacto...some nights find a nice one, other nights come home alone. I do not go out with a quota or an agenda, just to have a good time.

In the States, I work alot, a real lot. The last time I went out at night simply for pleasure was in September on my last vacation. Passions is not the experience I am looking for with my "filthy, single male, gringo dinero"

It seem funny that the problems facing the North Coast are always detached when Sosua becomes the topic. In all matters Sosua, it is the girls who are keeping out all the wholesome couples and families.

Quote from an amiga (una maestra) in Santiago, "I go to Punta Cana for Semana Santa", I ask "Why not Playa Dorado", she says "Punta Cana is better".

Maybe for the majority of tourists, PC offers a better experience for the buck. If Sosua could compete with the other tourist areas, then the girls would have been moved aside by other "legitimate" business interests.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Whats wrong with Passions or the like, the whole island is filled with such places and they all do takeout, No need to troll the streets trying to get a girl for the price of a hamburger and getting in everyones face.

that's the point...
they don't want the girls to make money for themselves or thier families
they want the girls to make money FOR THEM

kick it out of the clubs and hide it in the parlors....
much easier to control and get thier cut :)
corruption being implimented under ev1's nose under the guise of cleaning up sosua..didn't work for boca chica, and it won't for sosua

Reactions: rsg

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Here's a thought: maybe they're tired of their reputation and are willing to suffer the short-term economic loss for a potential long-term economic gain..

Maybe it is what it seems. An initiative to clean up the streets of Sosua. Not everythng needs to be a conspiracy or an attack on your human rights. Self regulation ain't working too well so the locals want to see something done. .

Bingo .

Nic43

Dec 11, 2009
"that's the point...
they want the girls to make money FOR THEM"

Woolfsback I am touched and humbled by your concerned for the welfare of the chicas and their families. Clearly I misunderstood your motives.

So, those large, loud, glassy-eyed guys you see staggering around on Pedro Clisante every night are here on a humantarian mission. I think that is truly admirable, especially so in the current economic climate. Once this becomes widely known I am sure others will also feel diferently about the matter.

Last edited:

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Boca Chica does not have much in the way of Cat-Houses.
There is the very plain one opposite Hotel El Candil and the nasty Playboy Bar (with a dancing pole) on the main road going up to the highway - you wipe your feet on the way out of that one, by the way.

But there is no Passions type place.
There are no big bars full of hookers - the Piano Bar has girls and the Discotheque across the road has girls. The rest you will find just milling around the main strip.
There are no big-businesses taking advantage of the hookers.
All girls are freelance, wander the street with impunity, occasionally getting harassed for cash by the police.

Or so they tell me ;)

In fact come on Peter - franchise out a new Passions in Boca Chica....

LOL...Peter is not the one you have to ask for your franchise pedro...

And why not just start your own place Pedro? I Can see the neon sighns now..PEDRO'S PU***..:cheeky:

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Whats wrong with Passions or the like, the whole island is filled with such places and they all do takeout, No need to troll the streets trying to get a girl for the price of a hamburger and getting in everyones face.

that's the point...
they want the girls to make money FOR THEM

kick it out of the clubs and hide it in the parlors....
much easier to control and get thier cut :)
corruption being implimented under ev1's nose under the guise of cleaning up sosua..didn't work for boca chica, and it won't for sosua

EXACTLY!!! Do all you inteligent people out there really think that places like PASSIONS, and that new men's Paradise place down the street, really operate with out forking over the $$$$ to someone...Be serious..and think about it..They would not allow a foreigner to just come in and make all that easy money..These guys would all be locked up in a minute..

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
lol....the saying beware of what you wish for is really gonna hurt :)

once the others get control do you really think they won't expand?
if you think for one second that this is being done to PURIFY sosua
then when reality bites you will be the first to cry :)

as far as the girls and thier families
who's gonna feed em..cloth them...put a roof over thier head?...you?
of course not...thier poverty is not your concern is it :)

when the businesses close down and there's nothing to offer
and nowhere to get the things you need to survive
unless you want to travel long distances to get them
those who CAN afford to leave for better prospects will do so...
leaving only the poor and the fully retired...where do you think the poor is gonna go to get food or money...the government?

last point....
why would someone who owns a business smile as he's helping to kill it?

Reactions: waytogo

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The smut shops weren't closed down on 42nd. Street because of some altruistic desire to clean up NYC.

They were effectively zoned out when one law after another was passed to marginalize their businesses.

The corporations were waiting in the wings with investment dollars, and it was a clear-cut winner from the beginning because it is arguably the world's most famous street. If one can't make money there then one can't make it anywhere (pun intended).

Sosua doesn't have this type of drawing power. My belief is the powers that be have no plan and no investors to turn Pedro Clisante into something else. And with the deputy mayor owning one of the bars on this street, what are his priorities? Family values? A corporate version of Times Square replete with bright lights and fashionable souvenir shops?

This whole thing would make sense if we knew what the long-term plans are. But no one seems to know. It could be a short-term hustle to run other smaller businesses out of town and then have no competition when the dust clears.

I don't think business owners would be willing to risk their livelihoods just to see Sosua cleaned up without some assurance that there is a plan in effect to implement changes that would address the economic hit this cleanup would cause. That is in direct contradiction to the short/long term business plans of any small business in the area that relies on tourist traffic.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
he doesn't have to be. even stevie wonder can see there is no plan.

imagine, pedro clisante being like 42nd street ?

NOT !!! :ermm:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Actually, I think the term is "inner circle". But no, I'm not. It's just fairly easy to connect the dots.

While yes, I did say "plan", maybe a better word would be "desire".
They desire a Sosua that is not known as a sex destination. Having a well designed and thought out plan is a different story. One could say that they don't have one...i.e. closing off the open walls on bars and resturants

On the other hand, the first step towards achieving a better reputation would be discourging out-of-town chicas from riding the bus into town for the weekend. Once that word gets around the single gringos will dry up also. And that's begun.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Actually, I think the term is "inner circle". But no, I'm not. It's just fairly easy to connect the dots.

They desire a Sosua that is not known as a sex destination. Having a well designed and thought out plan is a different story. One could say that they don't have one...i.e. closing off the open walls on bars and resturants

On the other hand, the first step towards achieving a better reputation would be discourging out-of-town chicas from riding the bus into town for the weekend. Once that word gets around the single gringos will dry up also. And that's <B>begun</B>.

More like END to me... !? LOL

I don't see a really long queue of couples and families deperately waiting to visit Sosua after all the chicas and single gringos have left town :ermm:

There will be businesses going bust, less bars/restaurants and eventually less flights to POP, well, less of a lot of things really.

But again I don't have a crystal ball, I am sure those contemplating this big <I>plan</I> have one and thought of everything... ! :tired:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
bottom line, sosua is at a crossroads. the same crossroads boca chica faced a few years ago. and we know how that turned out.
i think there maybe ways to "tone it down" without totally getting rid of it. i was looking forward to some day seeing all the chairs and tables in the streets at night. now that will never happen either.

Mar 2, 2008
Everyone thinks that connecting the dots is a fairly easy thing to do, yet there are so many different pictures emerging they can't all reflect the one true image of what is happening.

From what I have observed to date, and in my opinion, some of the 'changes' have been positive and beneficial, some have been detrimental, and some have been absolutely ridiculous. Of course everyone sees things differently.

I think the longer this thread remains open the more it will degenerate into redundancy and petty bickering. People have already formed their opinions (or perhaps, already had their opinions formed), and I doubt if any perspective will be noticeably altered by additional speculation.

It was fun while it lasted, but the final arguments have already been made, now is the time for things to play out as they will.

Again, time will tell.

Reactions: Bronxboy

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

On the other hand, the first step towards achieving a better reputation would be discourging out-of-town chicas from riding the bus into town for the weekend. Once that word gets around the single gringos will dry up also. And that's begun.

Actually the term *is* inner sanctum. And if you are not part of it, how to you claim to know what their desires or plans are? You are just speculating like everyone else...why pretend like you are in the know somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.